My foray into automotive journalism re: taking my 2014 to the 1/2 mile

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I was asked by an acquaintance (not on this site, Audi guy) to write about my experience at the Pike's Peak Airstrip Attack 1/2 Mile event a while back so I obliged with a blog entry. It's a low-traffic blog site and it was posted a while ago but I figured I'd share with you Shelby brothers.

http://autowonkdc.com/index.php/2015/07/20/pikes-peak-airstrip-attack/

It's a bit cheesy but the target audience is the average person who knows very little about cars. Hope you enjoy...

sono

Established Member
I agree, great write up, but with a sigh.

It pretty much proves the point of hopeless 1st gear traction when it comes to our cars. You did great at the roll racing, but were a total bust off the line. When it comes to street cars I think these cars are bitter sweet.

So I'm Looking for a gearing change on my 12, but it seems like you cant make it work with a better geared 14 transmission. So whats the point of even trying, might as well put a lot of gear in the car and permanently abandon 1st.

Off topic I know, again good write up.

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member
Nice write up. 1st is tricky. I used LC only and was able to run consistently 150-155's with DR and box tune. I'm looking forward to doing it again this year but I want to add a pulley

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Nice write up, sounds like a great time!

Thank you, it definitely was!

I agree, great write up, but with a sigh.

It pretty much proves the point of hopeless 1st gear traction when it comes to our cars. You did great at the roll racing, but were a total bust off the line. When it comes to street cars I think these cars are bitter sweet.

So I'm Looking for a gearing change on my 12, but it seems like you cant make it work with a better geared 14 transmission. So whats the point of even trying, might as well put a lot of gear in the car and permanently abandon 1st.

Off topic I know, again good write up.

Thanks, I'm kind of an outlier. I hate burnouts as I don't like wasting tread or scrubbing the rear brakes. I had originally planned to get back from a business trip in time to really play around with the traction control settings and feel the difference on the heated F1s. I had to stay behind at the last minute and didn't get back until later the evening before. So basically I didn't want to try and screw around with all of that at the actual event. Drag radials or R888s would have helped tremendously.

Nice write-up, sounds like a great time. I saw Res. Delete, and TB, do you have a Tune and Pulley also??

Res delete, dual 65, 3.73s, and speedometer correction via XCal4 ;)

Nice write up. 1st is tricky. I used LC only and was able to run consistently 150-155's with DR and box tune. I'm looking forward to doing it again this year but I want to add a pulley

Thank you! Nice MPH! What altitude and DA conditions?

Excellent write up, Put some Toyo's out back and traction solved.

Thank you! Toyos are next on my mod list for next spring.

Last edited:

Dinosgt

Established Member
Great write up - sounds like a blast. Its really something when you are surrounded by automotive utopia, and no one gets their feelings hurt regardless of win/lose...

We are in the greatest revival of automotive performance in the last 3-4 decades. Enjoy it as much as you can before these beasts are regulated into oblivion.

Cheers...:beer:

Last edited:

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Great write up - sounds like a blast. Its really something when you are surrounded by automotive utopia, and no one gets their feelings hurt regardless of win/lose...

We are in the greatest revival of automotive performance in the last 3-4 decades. Enjoy it as much as you can before these beats are regulated into oblivion.

Cheers...:beer:

Thank you! I agree with you completely.

Did you change axle ratios?

Yes, sorry I just realized I left that out. 3.73's were installed a few weeks before the event and were stone quiet until the event and now they're noisy.

Speedboosted

Established Member
I loved running at this past Shift S3ctor in Oregon, so much fun and well worth the entry fee. I can't wait for them to come back next year! Nice article by the way, for the average person I don't think you could've written it better.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I loved running at this past Shift S3ctor in Oregon, so much fun and well worth the entry fee. I can't wait for them to come back next year! Nice article by the way, for the average person I don't think you could've written it better.

Thanks! I agree these events are a blast. Norton and I are running the Colorado Mile tomorrow and Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread