My FRPP Recaro's just came in...

Paul.

Established Member
I'll let Tob answer because he did the swap in an older Shelby, but think of it this way...

Whatever electronics are in your '07 seats (e.g. airbags, occupant classification system, etc) you'll want to swap over into your new 2012 seats. In a nutshell, you want to move the seat frames and all the mechanical stuff over, but keep the electrical stuff OEM to your car. This way, "the car doesn't know any better" and it won't throw any airbag codes or anything.

It might seems intimidating, but it's not rocket science. Just kind of tedious, and you have to pay attention not to break anything.

Paul.

mkecobraGT500

Established Member
Hey Paul!

Thanks for the comments. I tried to just bolt in without swapping and the driver's side OEM electrical connectors to did not match the recaros. So I started swapping the passenger side bases today. Took most of the day since it was the first time and did seem daunting but wasn't too bad :) Going to try it in the car now :)

Thanks!

I'll let Tob answer because he did the swap in an older Shelby, but think of it this way...

Whatever electronics are in your '07 seats (e.g. airbags, occupant classification system, etc) you'll want to swap over into your new 2012 seats. In a nutshell, you want to move the seat frames and all the mechanical stuff over, but keep the electrical stuff OEM to your car. This way, "the car doesn't know any better" and it won't throw any airbag codes or anything.

It might seems intimidating, but it's not rocket science. Just kind of tedious, and you have to pay attention not to break anything.

Paul.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

I can't really add to that. You nailed it.

Paul.

Established Member
Hey Paul!

Thanks for the comments. I tried to just bolt in without swapping and the driver's side OEM electrical connectors to did not match the recaros. So I started swapping the passenger side bases today. Took most of the day since it was the first time and did seem daunting but wasn't too bad :) Going to try it in the car now :)

Thanks!

Great! Take some pics and post up your progress. You should be able to figure out just about anything with the pics in this thread - I think they cover just about everything in close detail. Just be careful, take your time, and everything will be come out great. Post up any question you have, and Tob and I will help you out.

Good luck brother!

mkecobraGT500

Established Member
Hey Paul, Tob.

Thanks for the support! Yes all the pics and instructions are life savers for sure! I converted the passenger seat and put it in the and it works great. No airbag lights :) Rear seats are also in no problem.

But...I think the bolt that secures the seat on the front left side (next to the console) to the floor is cross threaded... It goes about half way in and then becomes extremely difficult and I don't want to snap it so it is out at the moment. Anyone know the tap size I'd need to run through it?

Thanks!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Most likely metric. You could always bring the bolt to your local Fastenal, etc, for sizing.

Great to hear that you are doing this. Post up any photos if you can as it'll help someone else wishing to do the same.

mkecobraGT500

Established Member
Thanks Tob!

So....what has everyone done with the unused seats after the conversion? Are they (or the parts) worth anything? Good idea to just keep around in case something happens?

Most likely metric. You could always bring the bolt to your local Fastenal, etc, for sizing.

Great to hear that you are doing this. Post up any photos if you can as it'll help someone else wishing to do the same.

mkecobraGT500

Established Member
Finally got the driver seat finished and installed everything back in the car. These seats look way better and feel very different.

Tob, Paul - guys thanks for much for the write ups and advice. This was 100x easier at least using your info :)

The only thing I can offer from my experience that might be helpful is when reinstalling the seats, make sure to thread in the bolts in the front next to the console, then the other front bolt and finally the 2 rear nuts. I did it the reverse and the seat didn't sit flush and the 2 front console bolts cross threaded. The tap I bought that allowed me to fix as 10mm-1.5.

Here are some shots of the recaros:
recaro1.jpg
recaro3.jpg
recaro4.jpg
recaro5.jpg

Attachments

• recaro2.jpg
    recaro2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 552

Clemson

Established Member
No kidding. There is no reason to leave out power and heat on a $66k+ car. And this is certainly not something that is easily remedied.

OMG - the telescopic wheel (or absence thereof) makes me want to kick a puppy. I replaced my 2009 Honda Civic (please, no comments) with my '11 GT. When I got into the Mustang, I immediately realized how much harder it is to get a comfortable seating position than little Honda that cost half as much. Quite frankly, the seats in my Honda were more supportive and more comfortable than what came in my Mustang. Then when I realized I couldn't extend the wheel toward me, I wanted to rain unholy fire on the Ford engineering department. Pardon me Ford, but leaving out the telescopic wheel is flat ****ing retarded. Period.

Then, the OEM Ford seat warmers are absolutely mediocre at best. The heated seats in my girlfriend's Elantra are much better. They heat up quicker, and they get much hotter. The ones in my car get warm, and that's about it.

However, my complaints on the car quickly dissolve away every time I make use of my new 5.0. :)

Paul.

Seriously? This is a MUSTANG forum and some of you pu$$ies are crying about HEATED SEATS?!!?!? Are you kidding me right now?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Finally got the driver seat finished and installed everything back in the car. These seats look way better and feel very different.

Tob, Paul - guys thanks for much for the write ups and advice. This was 100x easier at least using your info :)

Wow. You did a fantastic job and your car looks great! I'm sure the seats have given you a newfound love for the car. They really do improve the overall driving experience, making the car that much more enjoyable. Well done.

Seriously? This is a MUSTANG forum and some of you pu$$ies are crying about HEATED SEATS?!!?!? Are you kidding me right now?

I think the term "crying" is a bit over the top. Mention was made that Ford's attempt in this application probably wasn't the best. And if you are going to go to the trouble of tearing your seats apart, why not try to improve upon what you were given? Personally, I don't drive my car in cold weather so I wouldn't need them. But in my Jeep I appreciate the fact that they are there and that they work well. Cold leather in -10* outside temps does not bode well for a happy derriere.

o2sys

Established Member
Great thread, I just bought leather recaro take-offs from a member here was was wondering if my srs would transfer over and looks like it will!

Might as well do the whole electric seat base swap as well as the lumbar support.

Mine is a 2007 and passenger is non electric, but do I still have to transfer over the pass. Occupancy sensor and bladder?

Paul.

Established Member
Yes, you're going to want to swap over the occupant classification system to ensure you don't have any problems with the airbag system. Just follow the pics in this thread and you'll be fine. It's really easy - just a couple of rivets that need drilled out and new ones installed.

masterman

Established Member
Anyone tried setting up the heated seats button in the AC control in the two empty spots between the A/C, rear defrost, and inside air recycle buttons when adding heated seats? I mean for those that don't have heated seats to begin with. Just to make it look a little more factory? I'm not sure anyone has since I think only one person has done heated so far and already had heated seats before hand.

Last edited:

AutoXRacer

Established Member
I've read the whole thread...

Has anyone installed the Ford Racing M-63660005-MB (11-mid 2012) seats into a 2008-2009 with stock side airbags?

Ford Racing M-63660005-MB

m_63660005_mb_2011_2013_mustang_ford_racing_recaro_racing_seat_med.jpg

I am wondering if its plug and play, simple re-pin of the connectors (seat side), or will I have to do what you guys did and tear up the seats (which I really do not want to do).

Seems like the instances in this thread all refer to the 2013 seats...anyone have experience with the 2011-mid 12 seats?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I installed the "B" seats into my '09 and did not have to change airbags. Again, these seats are no longer available from Ford Racing. Don't know why "Stage3" is still advertising the "B" seats unless they bought some stock of them last year or so and have them sitting somewhere.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13483

If all you want to do is bolt them in (without power, changing to leather skins, etc) then the only thing you have to change is the passenger side OCS/bladder.

AutoXRacer

Established Member
I installed the "B" seats into my '09 and did not have to change airbags. Again, these seats are no longer available from Ford Racing. Don't know why "Stage3" is still advertising the "B" seats unless they bought some stock of them last year or so and have them sitting somewhere.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13483

If all you want to do is bolt them in (without power, changing to leather skins, etc) then the only thing you have to change is the passenger side OCS/bladder.

I bought a used (new) set...a guy bought a set last year and found them uncomfortable; he's 6'5"....so he re-installed is stock seats.

Are the electrical connections compatible/the same; 09 to 11-mid 2012?

So why do we have to R&R the OCS? Did Ford redesign the assembly/electronics? Is it not re-pin-able?

Thank you for your help!!
BTW, you are the only source of info on these Recaro installs...

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You'll have to look at the connectors you have and compare them to those of the MB seat as the change was made somewhere in 11/12. Just unplug them and look.

I have no idea why Ford felt it necessary to change certain portions of the SRS. You've mentioned repinning...whether you can or can't, the bottom line is that the shape of the connector has changed. Swapping the bladder/sensor is a pretty simple task if it proves to be necessary in your case.

Users who are viewing this thread