my HID retrofit using OEM halogen housings

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
i'm still in the process of retrofitting the projectors i got from The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications into my stock housings. just wanted to post some pics and get some feedback on how they look. i am still debating on painting the shields black or keeping them chrome.

the kit i got for the retrofit
IMAG0310.jpg

cut apart the stock housings with a dremel tool
IMAG0337.jpg

test fitting the projector
IMAG0335.jpg

a few pics of the light reassembled and awaiting sealing using rubber butyl
IMAG0338.jpg

IMAG0341.jpg

IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0345.jpg

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
snapped a few on car pics just to see how they will look once finished

before
IMAG0348.jpg

after
IMAG0347.jpg

IMAG0350.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

IMAG0353.jpg

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
should i leave the shields chrome or paint them black like the pic below?

PhotoJan1895413AM.jpg

PhotoJan1895444AM.jpg

these are a couple pics of the car so you can get an idea of the color scheme

18842fe9.jpg

f433375d.jpg

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
they looks great! Id personally do black but thats just me. how difficult were they to open? and what did you use to reseal the housings?

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
they looks great! Id personally do black but thats just me. how difficult were they to open? and what did you use to reseal the housings?

i used a dremel to cut them open. just be careful and take it slow when cutting the lens apart. it took me about 45 min to cut apart and i used a hack saw blade to finish the corner i couldnt get with the dremel.

i'm using rubber butyl (the stuff that is used to seal windows from the factory) to seal the lens back to the housing. it never hardens and provides a great seal that is easy to work with. i will most likely use some black silicone to make it look better and ensure a perfect seal

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
i'm using rubber butyl (the stuff that is used to seal windows from the factory) to seal the lens back to the housing. it never hardens and provides a great seal that is easy to work with. i will most likely use some black silicone to make it look better and ensure a perfect seal
thanks for the tips! but my concern is since the butyl doesnt harden will it properly secure the housing? but I do I see this mod in my future.

RusWolf

Established Member
I'm about to start on my retrofit as well, can you PM me what hardware i need ?

I think i'm using different projectors because GG shroud does not fit on mine so i went with panamera 2 piece style shroud.

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
thanks for the tips! but my concern is since the butyl doesnt harden will it properly secure the housing? but I do I see this mod in my future.

i used three 1" butyl strips to secure the lens for the pics. i had to pull pretty hard to get the lens back off this morning to paint the shrouds. i dont think the butyl will have any problem at all holding the lens by itself once i use it all the way around the lens. i am planning on using some silicone around the whole light just for added protection once everything is complete.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
how much money and time did all this run you? I seriously want to do this. The projectors american muscle sells look horrible. Sometimes you just gotta do it yourself...lol

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
how much money and time did all this run you? I seriously want to do this. The projectors american muscle sells look horrible. Sometimes you just gotta do it yourself...lol

got my kit on sale but they usually run around $300 depending on what options you get.

my kit is the same as this one Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

even buying a new dremel and enough sealant to do at least 10 lights i will prob be under $425. the labor is what takes up the most. it is a very time consuming process

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
got a little time to work on aiming the lights today.

FYI for anyone using the TRS kit, the H13 adapters they provide will NOT WORK on these housings. it will position the projector upside down!!!!

IMAG0355.jpg

after taking apart and reinstalling without the H13 adapter ring this was the outcome. notice the cut off vs. the HID bulb in the drivers side. the bulbs are NOT blue like the pic shows. i have the 4300K bulbs that are pure white

IMAG0361.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg

Last edited:

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
got both lights 90% finished and aimed today. should have everything finished up and the car put back together tomorrow. the lights output is going to be AWESOME!!!! the front of the car looks 100% better than it did stock

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0386.jpg

couple of pics showing the cutoff with the low beam on

IMAG0388.jpg

IMAG0387.jpg

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
Looks GREAT!!! I wish I was able to do this. Want $500 for yours lol?

i would but my drivers headlight is modified for the KB inlet tube. if these were stock lights i would sell them to you. it hasnt been a hard project so far, just takes a lot of time. hopefully the housings will seal back up easily but i do not think they will be much of a problem

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
What do you mean by H13 adapter ring ?
can you post a picture of that?

And thanks for PM me advice on the hardware etc.... not...

the H13 is the last ring on the right. it is made to help you easily position the projector in the housing but in these housings it installs the projector upside down. i just left them out

th_7-19-10039.jpg

didnt see where you asked me to PM you. you dont need hardware for these projectors. they mount in the existing hole for the stock bulb and have a lock ring that tightens them down. the bulb holder is put on by 3 screws and then i used some silicone to make sure it was sealed up from the rear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread