My Honest Impression of the Livernois Motorsports Custom Tune

SHELBYSVT20

Established Member
Hello everyone! This is my first post on this Forum and would just like to say hello and share my honest impressions of the Livernois Motorsports custom tune!

I have tried several custom tunes over the past couple of months since SCT made the tune available for the 2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0.

First off, I own a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 with six speed manual and 3.73 rear axle gear ratio. I had a custom 93 octane dyno (Mustang DynoJet Dyno) tune performed by a local Mustang performance shop (JMS Chip & Performance, LLC) which installed my additional performance modifications which consist of the MagnaFlow Street series 3” Cat-Back exhaust with Tru X-Pipe and the Steeda ProFlow CAI along with their custom 93 octane tune. The car baselined at 363 rwhp in fourth gear which is NOT ideal or optimal for accuracy since fifth gear is a 1:1 ratio for the Getrag MT-82 six speed manual transmission. Since the car only had 200 miles on the ODO at the time the car was baselined on the dyno I didn’t want the car to endure the 5th gear pull on the dyno which I have been informed would have increased the rwhp numbers. After the mods were installed total rwhp jumped to 393 rwhp in fourth gear.

Since my initial modifications were installed a couple months ago I have tried several custom tunes with my current set-up. I have tried the Jon Lund custom 93 octane tune and it had positive performance results but lacked a little bit on the top-end and wasn’t as responsive as I had hoped for.

Then after reading so many great reviews about Brent White and Brenspeed I tried their custom 93 octane tune as well. Again, a step-up from the Jon Lind custom tune and it REALLY woke the car up I must say! However it still wasn’t the true BEAST I was really looking for although at the time I believe it was the best tune and match for the Ti-VCT modular motor’s broad powerband.

And then I read about the work that Livernois Motorsports (aka Detroit Speed Shop) had done for a customer’s car (Shaun’s – aka Username - Stinger 1982 - Grabber Blue 2011 Mustang GT 5.0). Their results sounded really impressive going from a totally stock 375 rwhp baseline after 50 miles on the ODO to 390 rwhp after 2,000 hard break-in miles and NO modifications other than Shelby GT500 mufflers…and then after 5,000 plus miles on the ODO and a Livernois Motorsports custom 93 octane tune, Steeda ProFlow CAI and Shelby GT500 mufflers (no power gain with Shelby GT500 mufflers) and no additional mod’s at all the car made 430 rwhp / 410 rwtq!. Now that’s REALLY impressive!

So two weeks ago I received my Livernois Motorsports custom 93 octane tune pre-loaded onto the SCT X3 tuner and began testing the car for that seat-of-the-pants BEAST like acceleration and responsiveness that I have been endlessly searching for…well after two weeks and nearly 150 miles later I can honestly say the Livernois Motorsports custom 93 octane tune is the VERY best custom tune for the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 currently on the market! PERIOD! There is NO COMPARISON!

Livernois Motorsports’ customer service is absolutely impeccable! Mr. Rick LeBlanc is VERY helpful, insightful, professional and VERY knowledgeable about the new ‘Stang and their product line!

I hope this helps those that may be on the fence regarding which custom tune works the best for the manual transmission 2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0.

I am VERY proud to say my car is not truly a BEAST and after owning three stock Ford Mustang Shelby GT500’s (2009 500 hp – 2010 Shelby with 540 hp) over the past two years this car is just as quick as they were…PERIOD!

Thank you for your time and attention and I apologize for the lengthy review/background but I thought it might be helpful.

Sincerely, Jack

P.S. I am NOT affiliated with Livernois Motorsports in any way and had never heard of the company before three weeks ago when I first started researching the best custom tune for the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 on the Internet. I also plan to have the car re-dynoed later this year after I have at least 2,000 miles on the ODO.

96supersnake

Established Member
Congrats on the results, its all about being happy and getting the results you expect. Let us know the results, these cars will just get better and better...

nocobrafornow

Established Member
i like livernois my self but your comparisons makes no sense, you dyno the car in the wrong gear you know then try several different tunes with no dyno or data log to compare to just you driving, plus what kind of wheather conditions were each test (you driving)done in. i am not saying anything bad about other tuners but you should rethink your doing this. and did you really spend money on all those different tunes?

351inside

Established Member
LOL....

He posted this exact post over on the s197 forums...

[ame=http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41123]My Honest Impression of the Livernois Motorsports Custom Tune (moved from 2011) - WWW.S197FORUM.COM[/ame]

TermNewb

Banned
not sure if this is a typo:

"I am VERY proud to say my car is not truly a BEAST"

Also, is that 364rwhp number bone stock, or with the bolt on mods you describe?

Last edited:

AmnDucky

Established Member
I can honestly say the Livernois Motorsports custom 93 octane tune is the VERY best custom tune for the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 currently on the market! PERIOD! There is NO COMPARISON!

No, you cant. Not until you try every single available tune with data to back it up. I'm sure its a wonderful tune, but come on now.

wool-puller

Established Member
This is what i dislike about these forums. Why can't someone post an OPINION without getting blasted for it? Let me sum up what he said. He has a new 5.0, has tried several tunes, in his opinion he feels the Livernois tune has the best seat of the pants feel, he's happy with this and customer service so he wanted others to know. Everyone wants to get hung up on every word. C'mon, dude has tried several tunes and this one has been the best. Thanks.

DIB5.0

Established Member
Go over to AFM forum and search his threads. They are all the same. Every tune is the best. He also boast about having over 500hp with a tune / CAI and exhaust. So unless you really know this cat and his posts over the last month everything seems kosher.

AmnDucky

Established Member
This is what i dislike about these forums. Why can't someone post an OPINION without getting blasted for it? Let me sum up what he said. He has a new 5.0, has tried several tunes, in his opinion he feels the Livernois tune has the best seat of the pants feel, he's happy with this and customer service so he wanted others to know. Everyone wants to get hung up on every word. C'mon, dude has tried several tunes and this one has been the best. Thanks.

Nobody is attacking his opinion. We are attacking how he gave it. He could have said what you said instead of a small novel. He also could have given his opinion in a more realistic tone instead of sounding like Livernois just saved the ****ing planet with their tune.

95PGTTech

Established Member

He's getting blasted, first by me, because he's clearly an employee posting a really lame advertising campaign. No one punctuates like that on this forum. No one goes into such details or length. No one posts once like this on multiple forums and then does not reply.

A legit thread would read "just got a Livernois tune. shit is bangin yo. made 4XX whp and 3XX rwtq. mods in sig." or something to that effect.

AmnDucky

Established Member
He's getting blasted, first by me, because he's clearly an employee posting a really lame advertising campaign. No one punctuates like that on this forum. No one goes into such details or length. No one posts once like this on multiple forums and then does not reply.

A legit thread would read "just got a Livernois tune. shit is bangin yo. made 4XX whp and 3XX rwtq. mods in sig." or something to that effect.

You really think Livernois would do that?

95PGTTech

Established Member
I think a low-level new sales employee would do a lot to try and impress his new boss. I'm a fan of Livernois and have found Rick and company in the past to be above the maturity level of a lot of the BS that goes on the internet.

The employee doesn't necessarily have the approval of the company.

DIB5.0

Established Member
I do not think he works for them. If you do a search on AFM forums he started all this with an EVO tune. Then he went to Brenspeed. He has been doing this for a month or so now. He was blasted for saying his tune/exhaust/cai was producing over 500 hp. He will probably be doing this with Bama in a couple wks.

95PGTTech

Established Member
Then after reading so many great reviews about Brent White and Brenspeed I tried their custom 93 octane tune as well. Again, a step-up from the Jon Lind custom tune and it REALLY woke the car up I must say! However it still wasn’t the true BEAST I was really looking for although at the time I believe it was the best tune and match for the Ti-VCT modular motor’s broad powerband.

I like this part the best. Other than misspelling Jon Lund, it's a pretty well known fact that Brenspeed purchases other tuner's raw tune files and tweaks them to suit. This was really the case when they tried to jump into 05+ Mustang stuff when those cars first came out. Brenspeed better than Jon Lund - ROFL.

kingnut

Established Member
still its kinda iffy. when a dude comes on here with his first post to write all of that shit up. it really means nothing cause he has no rep here.

Users who are viewing this thread