My issue need a solution

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
Hey everyone

i went to the track first time with my setup and I was very excited first run I had a great launch and moment I went to shift into second gear @7500 instantly locked out. I tried twice and then shifted into third. I tried 3 other times and even tried shifting sooner like 6500 and still had issues. Last run I grandma shifted and it went into gear but killed me time. I only have issues shifting into second. I have a CJ setup car running on drag radials, have JPC clutch line, white line insert, blowfish bracket stock shifter 373 gear car. What's the solution for this issue high rpm shifts is it build the tranny, upgraded clutch??

Last edited:

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
Is there a clutch you recommend the car is only a weekend car and only sees the track 2-3 times a year if that

jojobee

Established Member
Just dont get too much clutch..

At your power level most entry level aftermarket will do fine.
Mach 500, ACT HDSS, Spec stage one.

You sure dont need a twin disk.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
How many miles on the car? Motor mounts could be part of the problem, excess movement can cause engagement issues. I would try motor mounts before doing the clutch, though the clutch,pp and flywheel are great idea. You might be able to hold off a little longer on doing a clutch assembly with stiffer motor mounts.

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
My car has 39k miles. I only comes out on warm weekends and sometimes during the week. I roughly put about 2-2500 miles ever year on the car and hit the track 2-3 times a year. Also just found out my difientrial is wearing out when I engaged the line lock I noticed my driver side wheel wasn't spinning while the passenger side was. This car keeps breaking down and I'm so easy on the car only tracked twice ever and nvr beat on it

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
What does PP stand for? Also I figured I would change the roller pilot and throwout bearings?? Should I do this since it's already will be open? Anything else I need

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
Dot 3 I believe. Do you guys think the mgw race spec can solve this issue?? People on the coyote fb group say it the blow fish bracket n crap stock linkage. But don't want to spend $500 for something that won't work n then have to buy a clutch anyway

SCalla1384

Established Member
It's not motor mounts, or fluid, or brake fluid, or clutch line, or the "assist spring" it's the clutch. The factory made in Turkey pressure plate aren't consistent. Some have no problem disengaging the clutch at high rpm, many do.

Get a new clutch. That is a permanent fix to lockout. Everything else is a band aid. They will help, making everything feel better. But won't fix anything.

jojobee

Established Member
I would definitely do the clutch and MGW race spec at the same time sinçe the installation in more complicated than a regular shifter.

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
Scalla My rwhp is probably somewhere around 440-470 not sure about torque but I would like to do boost in the future but nothing anytime soon something around 580-600rwhp range what clutch should I look into? Don't track the car much 1-2 times a year.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I just put the spec 2+ in. Pedal effort is a little stiffer than stock. If you only track 1-2 times a year, look into the RST

BlueCoyote

Established Member
I just put the spec 2+ in. Pedal effort is a little stiffer than stock. If you only track 1-2 times a year, look into the RST

RST is complete overkill but will allow him to grow into it. I do recommend it tho if hes gonna mod it further in the HP dept. I do run one in my '02 gt @ around 600 to the wheels and love it. Pedal is so light you would think its stock and will take a clutch dump at 5k rpm all day long on slicks.

Last edited:

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
I'm leaning towards a exedy Mach clutch still checking out a few other options can I run a McLeod light weight steel fly wheel with that clutch or do I need to stay with the same brands? I read a bunch and people seem to run the stock fly wheel but figured why not purchase a light weight one since I will be in there already. What are your opinions on fly wheels. Should I replace with an oem one or go with a better options?

SCalla1384

Established Member
I don't think the RST is overkill at all. Organic clutch material isn't as harsh as the RXT ceramic. Plus, like op said possibly boost down the road. Gives him room to grow.

Rst and rxt do have very light pedal effort. It's nice

Users who are viewing this thread