My motor started ticking !

bzubke1

Established Member
The tick is only coming from the drivers side, around the valve cover area. It first started ticking after I pulled out into traffic and took it to redline in 1st and 2nd gear. When I came to a stop sign I noticed the ticking. I have driven the car nearly 3k miles since it started, and the car runs just as good as it ever has. It only ticks for the first couple miles I drive the car. I have basically norrowed it down to two things. Either the exhaust manifold gasket or a sticking lifter. I feel like it's probably the gasket. If it was a lifter would it still run really good. I just wanted to see what some of yall though? Thanks.

Maverick_997

Established Member
i'd go with the header gasket, not saying that it cant be a sticky lifter but the same thing happened in my trans am after i ran the shiit out of it, same syptoms to, after it gets warm the metal expanded and sealed the leak.. but if it is a lifter tick just through some greesed lighting into your next oil change and it will clear it up. worked for me many times.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I have this same issue... From what I'm told it's a valve lash adjuster. You only hear it between 2-3k rpm's and it goes away if I'm off the throttle.

jzepp

Established Member
How loud is the ticking? When i first start my car and open the hood i hear a slight noise somewhere.......can't figure out where. It might be a ticking noise but i am not sure. When i close the hood you cannot hear it. When the car warms up, it is still there. It is not really loud but, the engine is not quiet. I am just wondering if the lifters should be making any noise at all or should the motor be quiet.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
check the spark plugs to make sure they are tight. when i got my car, it had a lil tick to it. i figured it was a injector, never thought much else about it, untill i put a set of plugs in the car. i found #1 was finger tight.. the tick was compressed air blowing from around the plug.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
Dude I just put my brand new motor in December and it already has ticks and noises to it.. I noticed it about a month or so ago...started it and I can hear it off the garage wall.. I just left work today and I could really hear it...sounded more like a TOB noise and it felt like the car was missing slightly, After warming up it went down to its normal noise with no miss... Very odd... I think the POS is about to spin another rod bearing...

Last edited:

bzubke1

Established Member
My bet is on a lifter. Not a big deal really.

if it is a lifter what is wrong with the lifter that makes it tick?
On a side note I have bbk longtubes and dr.gas x pipe waiting to be installed so if it is the header gasket it'lll be fixed when i put the longtubes on.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
GUYS, I ASK YOU TO DO ONE THING....
If you develop a sudden tick from the cam cover area:
Remove the plug wires 1 at a time and make SURE the spark plugs are TIGHT.

Trust me, I developed a tick, and the next day I had a plug blow out of my #7 cylinder

bzubke1

Established Member
I'm gonna go check the plus right now. But it is a pretty loud tick my brother could hear it from about 40 yards away.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
My tick inst that loud, you gotta have your ear up to the drivers front fender.. Or stand under the car on a lift.. Sounds like a mild exhaust leak at times.. I guess Ill check the plugs.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Ok, you outta be able tom figure out an exhaust leak yourself pretty easily, my vote went for lifter tho because you said it was RPM based. A leaked-down lifter simply puts slack in the valvetrain and makes it tick.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
bzubke...just realized you have a 5.0 Cobra. No need to check your plugs. This issue is with the 4V's.

bzubke1

Established Member
Ok, you outta be able tom figure out an exhaust leak yourself pretty easily, my vote went for lifter tho because you said it was RPM based. A leaked-down lifter simply puts slack in the valvetrain and makes it tick.

That makes sense but why would the tick go away once the car is driven a few miles?

bzubke1

Established Member
Ok that makes sense now. It's obviously doesn't affect performance noticibly, but is this something I should consider fixing or just drive it as is.

jzepp

Established Member
What should the plugs be torqued at? I just tightened mine with a socket. Is it a good idea to have them torqued to spec?

Users who are viewing this thread