My motorcycle chase made the news..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
I agree with Lawfficer, id warrant that 80 percent of the people running on bikes don't have a class M, or have suspended licenses/warrants. You cannot NOT chase them, you just have to be smart about how/when you do it.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Turn it on me all you want, your thought process makes no sense to people that wear my shoes. And just becuase the use of force is justifed, does not mean it's used. Your comment about using deadly force for felony bad checks is laughable and just goes to show how ignorant you are of life on the streets and how real cops work. The level of the crime, regardless of its a civil forfeiture, misdeameanor, or felony does not dictate the use of force. Further, 99.99% of my job is "what if'", which you seem to put down and give the impression that it's a bad thing. The "what if's" are what keep you alive, and make you a good cop..... Its not just catching criminals, but good community policing aswell.

And Im pretty sure I never asked you how to do my job, but thanks for telling me.

i have worn your shoes. 11 years total.

8 years full time, 3 in reserves with 2 different agencies.

its all good, offending you is the last thing i meant to do, although i dont agree with those types of tactics, we wore the same uniform metaphorically speaking. i just have a different philosophy and approach, thats all.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Unless one has a bird in the sky (in the area and on target), the only motorcycle an LEO is gonna catch is one that allows himself to be caught.

As an administrator (and many years experience on patrol), unless I have a helo available, I will most likely order any of my units to terminate a motorcycle pursuit. However; there are always exceptions, depending on the reason for the pursuit. Most of the time, the probable outcome isn't worth the chase.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
You just can't fix stupid!

layzie

Established Member
I think this would be an entirely different conversation if an innocent had died while the police officer was following him through multiple red lights. Luckily that did not happen.

The fact remains that no matter how stupid a person is we all know what can happen if we run a red light and the moment he ran that first red light it should have been obvious he was willing to endanger everything around him to escape thus making him a lethal weapon. It is at that moment the officer should have the ability to try & put an end to the pursuit as safely as possible but they do not. They do not because that person could sue and take money AWAY from the state. Which leads me to my next rant...

A police officer these days is pretty much a bill collector in the eyes of the state and that state welcomes these situations as it is a business and generates huge sums of revenue thus giving immunity to the officer for pursuing the chase for twelve minutes. Think about it this way, how is a teenager able to go and buy a 1000cc race bike with a top speed of 170+ in a world where we are told that we can only go at a maximum of around 65... Some people would argue that it is the individuals "freedom" to do so but that is far from the truth. The truth is, it is allowed only because it can be taxed and semi controlled in the form of bill collection. A great example was in the movie (one of my favorites) "The Fifth Element." In that movie a man who called himself Zorg wanted to create chaos in order to rule the world and pocket all of the money the chaos would generate. Zorg, the bill collector and chaos can all be seen in that chase video if you look close enough.

Now don't get me wrong, I have been in circumstances were public safety personnel, police officers and EMT's alike have saved my a$$ and I am extremely great-full for their services so please don't take my "Bill collector" comments as an insult because it is not. My hats off to the officer who chased the bike for his 19 years of service.

Now, To the point some random guy made that all he needs to do is flick his wrist 2 millimeters and he goes 90 mph that is certainly not true. I ride one of the fastest stock sport bikes you can buy and I have no problem keeping myself at a steady 65mph however, there are times when raw braking power or pure acceleration come in handy. Like passing a bad driver on the highway when your riding your bike safely or when you have to twist the throttle way more than 2 millimeters to prevent a vehicles back draft or wind gust's from creating a catastrophe. Its usually bad luck that at that time you are witness by a bill collector and they say "easy money" and you end up paying the state for trying to keep yourself and those around you safe... I can tell you that even though it PISSES me off when that happens (and yes I know that is not the case 100% of the time) my A$$ will still pull over and let the bill collector do his thing no matter how pissed I am because if I were to try and run away from the collector everybody but the state looses.

To sum up this entire rant. The police officer did nothing wrong in the eyes of the law and the rider payed with both blood and money.

:pop:

Last edited:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
A police officer these days is pretty much a bill collector in the eyes of the state and that state welcomes these situations as it is a business and generates huge sums of revenue thus giving immunity to the officer for pursuing the chase for twelve minutes.

Just pull that out of your arse?

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
A police officer these days is pretty much a bill collector in the eyes of the state and that state welcomes these situations as it is a business and generates huge sums of revenue thus giving immunity to the officer for pursuing the chase for twelve minutes.

You say this, and then you say not to take offense. Are you serious? Did you drink the Kool-aide?

layzie

Established Member
If you consider something 100% factually incorrect to be "over the top", then yes.

Since you only highlighted the words "thus giving immunity to the officer for pursuing the chase for twelve minutes." I will assume that part of the sentence is what you deem as "factually incorrect"

Opinions will vary. With yours casting a very big shadow over non badged civilians I would say let's put it up for debate. There are some personalities who have shared text in this forum who would argue that the officer should be held responsible in some way, shape or form for the ending of that video. I am not one of those personalities however, regardless of our opinions the officer is protected by the current state laws. It is these laws that protect the officer from being held responsible correct? Now, let's say these opinions made it into the media. Next thing you know you have lawyers who would threaten to take it to a jury... Uh ohhh.. Now the state starts to think about its pocket book and its laws. Was the officer really wrong even though we initially said he wasn't at fault? How much is this going to cost? Can we capitalize on this and use it as an excuse to tweak our own laws for our benefit without leaving it to a vote with the public?

I could ramble some more but the fact is, You are more right than I am because I am one of those civilians standing in that shadow and if I thought you were making a factually incorrect statement about my line of work, I would do as you did and point it out because that's my job.

Last edited:

layzie

Established Member
You say this, and then you say not to take offense. Are you serious? Did you drink the Kool-aide?

If you want another piece of contradiction hows this one for you. I wouldn't mind being in law enforcement at all. When I watch COPS i don't think of them as bill collectors. I think of them as kick a$$ role models cleaning up the streets who have one of the hardest jobs in the country. Now imagine COPS but from the top "business" level, I mean as high as you can get, not the ones out on the streets. Totally different show huh? I was simply looking into this debate from a 10,000 foot view and focusing on the one small aspect of a cops role in this society.

I in no way wanted to offend you and will be more than happy to remove my post if you wish after reading this response.

PS, that is one BAD *** Cop car!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread