My motorcycle chase made the news..

Status
Not open for further replies.

03trubluGT

Established Member
I've never received a service from a cop I liked. and I've received a lot of their "services"

Cops don't deliver singing telegrams, birthday packages, or butterfly kisses.

When you call the police, or have a police interaction, it's almost ALWAYS on an negative basis.

I've never gotten a 911 call to come enjoy Thanksgiving dinner, or to recieve a gift on Christmas.

Here's an example of a recent horrible experience:

4th Man Arrested for Fatal Robbery

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Read up: Dent v. City of Dallas

If you don't want to read up these are the findings...you're gonna love it...

"The rationale for these decisions is that the sole proximate cause of the accident is the suspect's negligent conduct and not the officer's conduct in electing to pursue the lawbreaker. Simply stated, courts will not make police officers the insurers for the conduct of the suspects they pursue."

:beer:

End of story...

what id expect from such a ****ed up judicial system, especially one that hates paying out for their mistakes, but loves getting payment for everyone elses.

officers should be held accountable if they overstep their boundaries as far as their vehicle's (and their own) capabilities to pursue.

03trubluGT

Established Member
what id expect from such a ****ed up judicial system, especially one that hates paying out for their mistakes, but loves getting payment for everyone elses.

officers should be held accountable if they overstep their boundaries as far as their vehicle's (and their own) capabilities to pursue.

Armchair quarterback ^

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
I've never received a service from a cop I liked. and I've received a lot of their "services"

You get services everyday. The fact that on a daily basis you go can go around in a somewhat civilized community, is the services you get on a daily basis. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean you don't get it. If you don't like that, I hear Juarez Mexico, a city with 1.5 million people that has very limited number of "real" cops is a great place to live. There were only 2,600 murders there last year.

MFE

Established Member

I'm sure any number of cops here would happily provide you the service of getting rid of your completely retarded MySpace-esque sig, for free.

We can dream.

Digital

Established Member
I'm sure any number of cops here would happily provide you the service of getting rid of your completely retarded MySpace-esque sig, for free.

We can dream.

Jealously is a powerful thing young jedi. Don't like the dark donut side consume you.

MFE

Established Member
Ah, the "jealousy" card :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

rubber duck

Established Member
Probably because you never did anything that deserved a "nice" service. Gearheads will usually have a run in with the police at some point in which you'll be told "you can't do that". If you can't afford the occasional deserved ticket, then you're in the wrong hobby.

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Probably because you never did anything that deserved a "nice" service. Gearheads will usually have a run in with the police at some point in which you'll be told "you can't do that". If you can't afford the occasional deserved ticket, then you're in the wrong hobby.

This I agree with... the thing that hurts is losing the license... I can afford tickets...can't afford losing the license. In Illinois *unless I'm wrong here* you only get 1 ticket per year...the 2nd one gets your license yanked. Doesn't leave any room for error and I know of many people getting two tickets in one stop. I try to be as nice and curtious as possible when I get stopped but I still fear getting the wrong guy in a bad mood because he can pretty much screw up my entire life with his ticket book. :eek:

txyaloo

Established Member
This I agree with... the thing that hurts is losing the license... I can afford tickets...can't afford losing the license. In Illinois *unless I'm wrong here* you only get 1 ticket per year...the 2nd one gets your license yanked. Doesn't leave any room for error and I know of many people getting two tickets in one stop. I try to be as nice and curtious as possible when I get stopped but I still fear getting the wrong guy in a bad mood because he can pretty much screw up my entire life with his ticket book. :eek:

These are the only offenses where a suspension is mandatory.

-reckless homicide
-driving under the influence (625 ILCS 5/11-501a)
-leaving the scene of an accident involving injury or death
-three offenses of reckless driving within 12 months
-drag racing
-aggravated fleeing and eluding the police
-operating a commercial motor vehicle when driving privileges are revoked, suspended, canceled or subject to disqualification
-persons under age 21 with two convictions for possession or transportation of alcohol in a motor vehicle regardless of time period

Suspension is an option to the court if you get three moving violations in a 12 month period.

Where do people get these weird ideas of the law?

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
good job chasing the bike. the police should be held just as accountable as the rider, in those situations where the 'pursued' hurts an innocent person. as far as im concerned, the officers are supposed to be trained on how to handle situations, and not let adrenaline drive them to do stupid things. as wreckless as the kid showed the officers that he was, they should have terminated the pursuit long before the accident took place. some poilce just have a mentality that they are super heros. the kid was pretty hopeless too

then what message does that send out? "its ok to commit crimes, the cops will just let u go." come on dude, these scumbags will just grow bigger nuts and do worse things. now im sure that ur not dumb enough to run from police because u dont want a ticket but the ones that are will get more brave. i dont want anyone innocent getting hurt either but it will cause more harm than good if u let them go.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
I don't care just make sure my pay check is there at the end of the week.

:nonono: Thats not something Id like to hear from any LEO regardless of public opinion. You knew the profession you were gettin into and the public opinion of it. My father has been a LEO for 38-39 years (hes 61) and Ive never heard him say he doesnt care about how people view him and police officers as a whole. Im guessing you got into it for the wrong reasons.

03trubluGT

Established Member
:nonono: Thats not something Id like to hear from any LEO regardless of public opinion. You knew the profession you were gettin into and the public opinion of it. My father has been a LEO for 38-39 years (hes 61) and Ive never heard him say he doesnt care about how people view him and police officers as a whole. Im guessing you got into it for the wrong reasons.

I think you might be taking what he means out of context. We as humans cannot possibly be correct on 100% of the rules/regs 100% of the time. For instance, my department has a "General Orders" that is over 500 pages. Some of those GOs contradict other GOs. Like one that says you can't leave your district, but another that says you have to get fuel at a certain place (that is out of your district). I've found that over time I've realized that the GOs are there to provide guidance, but moreso to hang you if the higher-ups want to. The problem with being a "higer-up" is that you don't deal with the public and all you do is armchair quarterback officers actions/decisions when you have the convenience of time.

Get burned a few times and you start plodding along and just do what you have to so you can get by. Everyone I know got this job with good intentions, and then had the department nueter them. When I was a rookie, I used to wonder why the old heads never did much until I learned the old saying "No good deed goes unpunished".

What I'm saying is that the person you quoted probably does care, but it's not worth risking what he's worked for.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Only 500 pages, yeesh. Ours is double that plus report writing manual, and policy manual. We have policies that say the exact opposite of the GO or the exact same. One week we can use the rolling road block and "other means to stop a fleeing suspect[in a chase] then the next back to the same as before.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
These are the only offenses where a suspension is mandatory.

-reckless homicide
-driving under the influence (625 ILCS 5/11-501a)
-leaving the scene of an accident involving injury or death
-three offenses of reckless driving within 12 months
-drag racing
-aggravated fleeing and eluding the police
-operating a commercial motor vehicle when driving privileges are revoked, suspended, canceled or subject to disqualification
-persons under age 21 with two convictions for possession or transportation of alcohol in a motor vehicle regardless of time period

Suspension is an option to the court if you get three moving violations in a 12 month period.

Where do people get these weird ideas of the law?

There is one more case...

Illinois Rules of the Road
IL (Under 21)
Two moving violation convictions occurring within a 24-month period results in a minimum one-month driver’s license suspension. Suspension length is determined by the seriousness of the offenses and the driver’s prior driving history. An additional driver’s license suspension will result for each subsequent moving violation following the initial suspension.

You are right though.. I thought it was 2 in a 12 month period but it is in fact 3. I got myself in a bad situation when I was 20 (got my 2nd ticket at 23months and 30 days.... :nonono:) and I had that '2 ticket' limit stuck in my head. :beer:

Bottom line..I don't mess around because I have way to much riding on it. I wish it was as simple as just paying up if you scerw up but there is more than money on the line for some of us.

bluestang41505

Established Member
Read up: Dent v. City of Dallas

If you don't want to read up these are the findings...you're gonna love it...

"The rationale for these decisions is that the sole proximate cause of the accident is the suspect's negligent conduct and not the officer's conduct in electing to pursue the lawbreaker. Simply stated, courts will not make police officers the insurers for the conduct of the suspects they pursue."

:beer:

End of story...

Ablosutely not true. Why do you think there are cops on here saying they are not allowed to pursue in certain cituations. From being SUED and LOSING and paying out millions. In this case yes, the court did right but not always. If you sue, its for negligence you sue everyone involved and that includes the police, and the court decided who is at fault. Why? cuz if you don't sue everyone, you can sue the attorney for malpractice.

Last edited:

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Ablosutely not true. Why do you think there are cops on here saying they are not allowed to pursue in certain cituations. From being SUED and LOSING and paying out millions. In this case yes, the court did right but not always. If you sue, its for negligence you sue everyone involved and that includes the police, and the court decided who is at fault. Why? cuz if you don't sue everyone, you can sue the attorney for malpractice.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Most police use their common sense and don't chase someone because we all know how inherently dangerous a pursuit is. There may be some policy limits, which most officers won’t break because of common sense, but we can legally chase just about anything. And your info about the Lawyers is way off in left field. The only reason a lawyer sues everyone involved is because they are playing the odds and trying to line their pockets. The more people you sue, the more chance of getting money you have. Its the same as walking down the street and asking random people for a dollar. If you ask everyone you see, you have a better chance of getting a dollar.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
UPDATE: Fulton crash suspect, victim transferred to Iowa City hospitals » Local News » The Clinton Herald, Clinton, Iowa

:( Semi driver called the guy in for eratic driving and when an officer attempted to stop him he blew a stop sign (about 1/8th mile from the bridge) and kept the pedal to the floor until me managed to slam into someone on the bridge. The media doesn't help things any.... it wasn't a 'chase' at all. The police in Iowa had already been notified and the officer who attempted to make the stop had backed off immediately after the suspect took off on him. I don't understand how anyone can fault the police for attempting to do their jobs. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread