My mustang is down again, body work, but hopefully back soon better than ever.

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
So I have a black cloud that follows me: (Long story short, I was hit a month ago, now being repaired under insurance mostly, car was parked)

142525d1374426851t-i-have-worst-luck-image-3934928498.jpg

So a few updates up to today:

The body work is 90% complete, still some prep work on the hood to be done, and the rear fender is mostly complete sans some finish work. They were able to push it out from the inside vs welding/pulling which saves a ton of filler from having to go on the car vs what was expected. I'm very happy there, although the whole side of the car will have to be painted (in fact, **** near the whole car will be painted by the time this is said and done, just the roof, driver's side and front bumper won't be touched).

Its taken a while longer than expected, but the work so far has been much better than I expected. Additionally, I've put in 20 hours myself in getting some custom work done (stripping wheels for paint and installing a number of items).

PSA, never, ever plastidip wheels, friends don't let friends do that sort of thing. It took 10 hours to get the wheels more or less ready for paint.

repair-1.jpg

Hmm: (the trick was to spray more on)
repair-12.jpg

After 6 hours: (I could seriously write a book on the technique for removal)
repair-14.jpg

new rear lines:
repair-16.jpg

stripped wheels:
repair-22.jpg

blacked out the backs of the GT500 axlebacks:
repair-23.jpg

In the air, wheels sanded and ready to go (new rotors up front, had cracked my factory set):
repair-27.jpg

yellow blaze brembos!:
repair-30.jpg

repair-31.jpg

http://www.chris-wynne.com/mustang/d4mnitronnie/caliperchange.png

The hood has definitely seen better days (but the bad paint has been stripped, there were 3 layers of paint on this thing, and the bottom had never cured after 6 months, some weird chemical issue).
[IMG]http://www.chris-wynne.com/mustang/d4mnitronnie/repair-7.jpg

"new" hubs (courtesy of 06GT/Arizona GT, Thanks mang!)
repair-8.jpg

The wheels will be finished in a dark charcoal/metallic gloss finish with new centercaps, I wish I had thought far enough ahead to order a tow hook kit from Rehagen Racing but time and money is short, and I need to order a new EPAS rack first.

Hopefully in a week this will be a complete car again. Its been down far too long these last couple years. Once its complete I'll have some time to go get photos done (with something other than my iphone, lol) and some video :) Can't wait.

haVesoV777

Established Member
Can't wait to see the finished product. I damaged my car on the rear left recently (coincident haha) so I just used the opportunity to do the gt500 rear valance while it was getting repaired. I guess a new door opens when one closes. Just out of curiosity though, any special paint on the calipers?

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Your really gonna take those really nice rims and paint them on the tires? I guess since you plastidipped them...lol...

regardless can't wait to see the finished car, those calipers look great painted yellow. I am gonna try and get a set at some point and have them powder coated dark bronze like my rims.

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
Thanks!

I think the wheels will turn out fine. While I might not get the paint around the outer barrel and bead, the rest is very well prepped and sanded. They were cheap rtr knockoffs, and had a lot of rash to clean up. It's all been handled and I'm sure they'll look better than new. The original machine/clear coat finish was mostly marginal at best.

I know it looks like hell now but I demand perfection and I can't wait to show that off!

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
So a couple pictures again, almost ready for pickup. Should hopefully be ready to accept decals later this week and I will install the new epas rack on Wednesday or so.

eqaqere8.jpg

na5e7u8e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread