My new 4.30's installed

Trays GT

SVT Driver
Established Member
Well a couple weeks ago i kept having a thumping noise coming through the driveline that sounded like exhaust hitting something. I put the car on the lift and notice that my passenger tailpipe hitting the differential cover brace. So i loosen the clamp and pry it down and retighten. Take the car off the lift and go back down the road and the noise was still there so i just left it and continued to my gf's house.:dw: Well i on the way home the car's behavior started acting funny like it was coming through the driveline.:nonono: So my gf's dad gave a listening ear and a drove it to help with an opinion. I told him i guarentee the car has a chipped ring or pinion. Jack it up, put in gear and let off clutch. Horrible metal to metal noise in the rear. Not really noticeable till about 3-4 gear. Let my buddy drive it and he thinks its about the same opinion as i do or something come loose in the transmission. Take the drive shaft out and and start car and run through the gears.:fm: Quiet. :idea:I tell my buddy to just go ahead and order ford racing 4.30's and install kit that my gut feeling is telling me its definitely in that housing.:poke: Pull it down yesterday and i have 3 teeth missing from the ring gear and a bunch more fractured.:eek: I have an 2001 cobra with 2003 cobra irs. So those factory 3.55's are no more good. That sucks. Did the install on the gears and assembled and this thing doesn't even feel like the same car. It always felt kinda luggish from the 335/30/18 tires in the rear now it doesnt even know they are back there. Not talking about getting on it either, just normal driving it doesn't feel like anything holding it back. My speedometer is 20 mph off fast so need to recalibrate that but at actual 60 mph my rpm's are at 2250-2300 range and at actual 50 mph rpm's are at 2000. Car pulls effortlessly in 3rd and 4th. I actuallyy get to use those gears with out having to go over the speed limit very long. All in all im happy. :banana:

matt87

Established Member
congrats and good choice. 4.30s were the best mod besides the blower i did when i had my 01. makes the power come so much faster. try putting a centrifigual blower on it next for a match made in heaven.

Trays GT

SVT Driver
Established Member
Haha. I wish i had the funds that allow it. I think i made the right decision on my gear selection choice. I believe that its a happy medium between 4.10 being not enough to 4.56 being a lil over the top.

Trays GT

SVT Driver
Established Member
i believe its the steeda. it has like a gold anodized finish. plus i have a 3" dynomax catback. anybody wanna trade catbacks? i would like to have a 2 1/2" one from magnaflow or something similar.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Gears are one of the cheapest things we can add to our cars for a huge difference in performance and shit eating grin. I had crappy 3:27's in mine then went to 4:10's and still think they are one of the best mods I have done in the six years that I have owned the car.

Trays GT

SVT Driver
Established Member
yeah. i started out with 3.27's in my stock 01 cobra rear. swapped for a bullitt solid axle with 3.27's then swap to a 2003 cobra irs with 3.55's now to 4.30's

Users who are viewing this thread