My New Custom Mcleod Just Came in.

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
I had a Mcleod RXT clutch in my old Kenne Bell setup and then I sold the supercharger and decided to go for more power. The RXT was a great clutch with awesome pedal feel and worked real well for my old setup. Well with my new motor build underway and my new twin turbo setup about to go in I was afraid the RXT wouldn't be enough for the power that I am trying to achieve. Even though the RXT is rated to 1000hp, I didn't want it to be the only limiting factor when I am trying to achieve the maximum power output that my new motor and my new turbo setup can put out. So researching different types of clutches that are rated higher than 1000hp so I researched the Spec ST-trim rated for 1595lb torque and the Spec E-trim rated for 1795lb torque. The Spec E-trim was considered but after talking to someone who had it they told me that is a total drag car clutch that is on and off, basically made for cars that people just drop the clutch at high rpms. So then I started looking into the ST-trim and found someone who own that clutch also. Off their recommendation that the clutch isn't forgiving on the streets as the engagement point is really precise and you have to get use to finding the engagement.
Afraid of trying to get use to a race clutch I called Mcleod up and told them about my application and that I wanted a clutch that can handle more than 1500hp and had good drivability. The sales person took my number and said they needed to talk to their techs and then give me a call back. They called back and said they developed a custom made clutch based on their "Original" Twin Disk pressure plate and some specially made clutch disc with some aggressive materials and some special plates in between. The part number was just made and it can not be found in any publication they have on their website or on the internet. It's Part number 64318-00-07M. Here are the pics.
a3447f98.gif

864111ed.gif

I can't wait to install it and see what it can do. I will post feed back as soon as I get everything broken in.

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
I am having a local builder name Owen's Racing Engines build my motor with some custom spec'd pistons with billet rods.

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
What power are you planning on making? I wasnt a huge fan of the original street twin I had in my lsx swapped notchback, it was a lot more harsh then the RXT in my cobra and that was a hydraulic setup.

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
What power are you planning on making? I wasnt a huge fan of the original street twin I had in my lsx swapped notchback, it was a lot more harsh then the RXT in my cobra and that was a hydraulic setup.

I am shooting for more than a 1000hp so the RXT definitely won't work for my application. I want to try for 1200hp but I feel my setup might do a little more than that. The techs at Mcleod did say that this doesn't feel like the rxt but the special plates and pressure plate does make it more street-able. I will see how it goes after I put everything in.

I will try to take more pics whenever we install everything. I will try to take pictures of the disc then.

Last edited:

dvups1

Established Member
I'm not dogging the McLeod at all, but if street driving and holding power are top criteria I recommend the RPS triple carbon disc. It is one amazing clutch!

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
I'm not dogging the McLeod at all, but if street driving and holding power are top criteria I recommend the RPS triple carbon disc. It is one amazing clutch!

I had no idea rps made clutches for gt500's. I remember, when I use to have a supra, a lot of the supra guys ran it.
I just looked it up and saw the triple carbon clutch is $3000 and handles less power then the Mcleod I just got. I wouldn't mind trying out the RPS clutch later on. I will see how this Mcleod feels in engagement and drive it for about 10k-15k miles and possible switch it out if I don't like it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread