my re-introduction

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
whats up guys.

drove a 2003 DSG lightning for the last 6+ years...well traded it in for a 2014 SGM GT A6 400a w/ brembo's last sunday. 6 of the last 7 days ive drove the car its been raining balls here in sfl so i havent got to play around too much but i like the car thus far. def not as fun or as fast as the lightning but it'll get there...i hope. been reading about anything and everything i can get my eyes on since last week trying to see what you guys are doing to these cars and how much impact each mod really has...so naturally i have a good bit of questions. i dont plan on getting as crazy with the GT as i did with the lightning but still want to make it stand out from the crowd and haul some ass. hardest part of the change is getting used to the new performance....between the 60hp/200ft-lbs difference in the vehicles and night and day dif in power curve i wasnt exactly in love the first time i drove it but i know it has potential.

first thing i NEED to do is drop it down a little...stock ride height isnt exactly my style. if youve seen my truck you'll know why. i dont want to slam it but im looking for a nice drop that wont sacrifice ride comfort too much. now with that being said, at what drop level are shocks, adj upper, camber plates, adj panhard, etc mandatory? the drop will be on stock 255/40's.

im looking at the eibachs sportline springs...could i get away with just throwing the spings in or would i need supporting mods?

few pics of old and new at the dealership

P1040552_zpse6f865ce.jpg

P1040555_zps6e5217d4.jpg

also does anyone know who makes this hood?

TC10025-A49-3KR1_zpse9574f25.jpg

TC10025-A49-3KR_zps1755aa86.jpg

-chris

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
there are people who drop 1.7" front and 2.4" rear on stock shocks and struts, honestly I recommend those immediately regardless of drop. The stock shocks and struts are garbage and out of spec with even a 1" drop. I believe ford considers them one time use too. I know there have been people to wait on the shocks and struts and just do springs and were full of complete regret. I did everything at once personally.

as for the rest, camber caster plates can be a want on anything more than a 1" drop. You can use camber bolts but auto x etc. can snap those bolts. I did the camber caster plates myself. A 1" drop will throw your LCA off angle, throw your pinion angle off and throw your back axle off. So not even talking about a firmer backend you should consider LCA plus relo brackets, UCA plus bracket and panhard bar regardless of drop to get the back end in spec.

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Kill yourself for parting with the lightning. J/k. Not a day goes by that I don't miss my lightning and I will have another some day. Lightning allows you to really keep that man card close and stomp that ass in the process.

New 5.0 is the only car I would consider trading for a lightning. You are gonna love it man.

Honestly k springs or pro kit is the perfect drop. There are better springs that ride better but I'm happy with my pro kit for the price.

Get a blower as soon as possible and you will find its almost as fun as a lightning.

Last edited:

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
Kill yourself for parting with the lightning. J/k. Not a day goes by that I don't miss my lightning and I will have another some day. Lightning allows you to really keep that man card close and stomp that ass in the process.

New 5.0 is the only car I would consider trading for a lightning. You are gonna love it man.

Honestly k springs or pro kit is the perfect drop. There are better springs that ride better but I'm happy with my pro kit for the price.

Get a blower as soon as possible and you will find its almost as fun as a lightning.

Yep, I made compromises a little over a year ago when I finally parted with my Ranger for another truck. I wanted a Lightning in a bad way and my wife just wouldnt budge on the concept. I did find a one owner Sport Trac with the Adrenalin package, Black with much lower than average mileage. I ended up getting it. Although I do like the Adrenalin, I sure would have preferred a Lightning. Had to keep my wife happy.

The Snake

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
there are people who drop 1.7" front and 2.4" rear on stock shocks and struts, honestly I recommend those immediately regardless of drop. The stock shocks and struts are garbage and out of spec with even a 1" drop. I believe ford considers them one time use too. I know there have been people to wait on the shocks and struts and just do springs and were full of complete regret. I did everything at once personally.

as for the rest, camber caster plates can be a want on anything more than a 1" drop. You can use camber bolts but auto x etc. can snap those bolts. I did the camber caster plates myself. A 1" drop will throw your LCA off angle, throw your pinion angle off and throw your back axle off. So not even talking about a firmer backend you should consider LCA plus relo brackets, UCA plus bracket and panhard bar regardless of drop to get the back end in spec.

good info thanks. so a 1" coil will really have that much negative effect on the LCA's?
Nice.....but the hood is from trucarbon

thanks. i really like the look of that hood but carbon fiber is not my style. was hoping they offered it in FG too

yea i do miss the lightning. never realized how high the fun factor was until its gone for a few weeks. just by measuring the wheel gap i dont think i would be satisfied with the k's or pro kit. ill have to see some in person

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread