My Royal Purple Synchromax Review.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I have been using Royal Purple 5w20 with Synerlec since 3200 miles and I loved it. The 5.0 felt smoother and felt like it revved up a little quicker... The whole engine just felt like it operated with less effort. Once the new API certified RP hit the shelves here at Ramstein, I decided to give it a try at 8300 miles. It fells just like the previous Royal Purple did and I was very satisfied.

Along with the new RP 5w20, I decided to replace the stock transmission fluid as well. I would have usually replaced all the fluids prior to 8300 miles but I wanted to make sure my MT82 was good to go. I never experienced hardships like the select few have with their MT82's. It was notchy when cold and the synchros would give me a quick grind before taking gear if I was getting a lazy foot... Nothing to really complain about. Every gear had a unique "engaged" feel, I could physically feel the difference between 3rd and 5th... as well as 4th and 6th. Every gear had its own notchy feel...

I started my test run a little before 8am, the Ford garage put about a mile on the car before they gave me the keys. It was 34 degrees out and I expected the transmission to remain a little notchy for at least 20-30 miles until the RP got a good coat throughout the transmission. I believe the transmission was still warm from the drive there so it may have helpped... When I pulled out onto the road and went through 1st to 6th I said aloud "Aww Cool". My 2nd gear still had a little bite to it (I am used to it) but I could no longer tell 3rd from 5th and 4th from 6th. Drove through town, ran some errands and went back to base. This is the best part... I put about 11 miles on the car (Outside temp was now 38) and I was granny shifting because the 3rd-6th felt like butter. From a round about, I shifted to 3rd and the transmission grabbed the gear, took the shifter from my finger tips and engaged the shifter itself.

I put another 8 miles on the car and it seemed to get smoother and smoother every shift. It feels as if the Ford garage installed a new shifter. I immediately made the connection between the engine oil and transmission fluid, this was something I could feel happening and now I know... It is happening in the engine too...

I have full intentions on trying the rear end grease and RP oil filter once the car is shipped back home. I asked my wife (as if she would know) "What the hell do they put in this sh!t?"

Edit: When I was younger, I never really put much thought into the quality of oil and lubrication. Your looking at a kid that would put an oil pan under his Grandfathers GMC to collect his oil leak to use in my 305... Is RP worth the extra dollar over competitors? I don't really know... With the initial results of this RP combo, I will likely never find out...

Last edited:

BV600

Established Member
All Germany people in this thread. I might be switching to RP but thinking about going with 5-30 or 10-30

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I'm contemplating doing the same thing this weekend. What car do you drive? I'm on Ramstein as well.

I am the Black 5.0 with the Roush 7 bar grille with Brembos and 19s. Are you the P White 5.0 with black pit stripes (fender stripes)?

215256_203325853032521_100000653239737_635003_776443_n.jpg

I work on Vogelweh, I was SF but I will medically retire next month.

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
All Germany people in this thread. I might be switching to RP but thinking about going with 5-30 or 10-30

The German Ford mechanic did say that 5w20 might not be the best in this weather but I ran it all winter. It was a pretty mild winter though. The Ford garage is right outside of Landstuhl on the Kindbach side.

Edit: The BX at Ramstein is getting pretty low on 5w20 but they probably restocked. As far as oil filters go, they only carry some Brand X garbage. I had to buy a Motorcraft from the dealer...

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
placebo effect with the engine revving faster for sure. and lets see how the tranny feels in 5k to 10k miles, that will be the real test.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
placebo effect with the engine revving faster for sure. and lets see how the tranny feels in 5k to 10k miles, that will be the real test.

I've been running the Synchromax in the T56 6 speed of my 04 SVT Cobra Mustang since 2005. This includes over 13, 20 minute track sessions and about 20,000 miles of driving. It still shifts great.

Though lighter in viscosity than the OE Ford fluid, Synchromax has way more protection than the Ford fluid. Synchromax is a Royal Purple product that has Synerlec, so the film strength is extremely high. Synerlec is our proprietary additive technology that no other oil company has been able to duplicate or even get close to. Synerlec | Lubricant Additives | Royal Purple

Can you guys get Royal Purple HPS 5W-20 (part #31520, quart bottle) over there in Germany yet?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I've been running the Synchromax in the T56 6 speed of my 04 SVT Cobra Mustang since 2005. This includes over 13, 20 minute track sessions and about 20,000 miles of driving. It still shifts great.

Though lighter in viscosity than the OE Ford fluid, Synchromax has way more protection than the Ford fluid. Synchromax is a Royal Purple product that has Synerlec, so the film strength is extremely high. Synerlec is our proprietary additive technology that no other oil company has been able to duplicate or even get close to. Synerlec | Lubricant Additives | Royal Purple

Can you guys get Royal Purple HPS 5W-20 (part #31520, quart bottle) over there in Germany yet?
I only know that the Base Exchange carries it. I replaced the old RP with the new API SN HPS 5w20 today. Even if it was off base, I would still buy it at the BX. The Euro rate would have me paying more.

Edit: 5w20 and 5w30 doesn't last very long on the shelves, especially when the AAFES gas stations are out of stock. I seen The Petroleum Quality Institute of America test on the new API stuff and was sold... They show the old bottle but it is the API HPS. TBN and Viscosity at 100 degrees C was amazing...

Edit#2: Disregard, that was the SL not the SN.

Are you at liberty to discuss the difference in the old SL and new SN? And will the old SL still be available for the foreseeable future for after warranty? Does the SN have less sulfur additive?

Last edited:

BV600

Established Member
Holy Germany! Im planning on the the 5-30 or 10-30 for the blower install. I didnt know there was rgis many germany people

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I only know that the Base Exchange carries it. I replaced the old RP with the new API SN HPS 5w20 today. Even if it was off base, I would still buy it at the BX. The Euro rate would have me paying more.

Edit: 5w20 and 5w30 doesn't last very long on the shelves, especially when the AAFES gas stations are out of stock. I seen The Petroleum Quality Institute of America test on the new API stuff and was sold... They show the old bottle but it is the API HPS. TBN and Viscosity at 100 degrees C was amazing...

Edit#2: Disregard, that was the SL not the SN.

Are you at liberty to discuss the difference in the old SL and new SN? And will the old SL still be available for the foreseeable future for after warranty? Does the SN have less sulfur additive?

The RP HPS is a completely different and separate NON-API oil.
Automotive - Royal Purple

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
The RP HPS is a completely different and separate NON-API oil.
I expected a suit and tie answer, I was hoping for some super top secret info... Either way, I am very happy with the new HPS... but, I would like to switch back to the Synerlec blend after my waranty (and Cats) expire... The tranny fluid is OUTSTANDING. I went out again tonight, cold start at 45 degrees and the MT82 felt the same as it did this morning....

Edit: No comment on the Sulfur levels of SL vs. SN? If you can't respond just ignore.

Good to know on this link.... http://www.royalpurple.com/product-categories/automotive/#!hps-motor-oil
I will be moving back to RP Syn after the warranty is gone.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice review. I have rp in the differential, and just put in the new rp hps 5w30 with there filter a couple days ago. I didn't drive it around as the tranny needs some fixing, but I do have some synchromax that is going in once the tranny comes out. Hope it's better than the pennzoil synchromesh I currently have.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I expected a suit and tie answer, I was hoping for some super top secret info... Either way, I am very happy with the new HPS... but, I would like to switch back to the Synerlec blend after my waranty (and Cats) expire... The tranny fluid is OUTSTANDING. I went out again tonight, cold start at 45 degrees and the MT82 felt the same as it did this morning....

Edit: No comment on the Sulfur levels of SL vs. SN? If you can't respond just ignore.

Good to know on this link.... Automotive - Royal Purple
I will be moving back to RP Syn after the warranty is gone.

A suit and tie answer is what I had planned but I had to take a call at 4:58 and did not finish until well after 5 when I'm supposed to bug out.

So here are most of the answers to some of the apparent misunderstandings:

"Switch back to synthetic blend"? That would involve changing brands since Royal Purple does not make a synthetic blend. All of our oils are full synthetic. A syth-blend is a conventional oil supplemented by a certain percentage of synthetic.

"I replaced the old RP with the new API SN HPS 5w20 today". Not possible.:shrug::dw: They are 2 different oils.
The HPS looks like this:
high-performance-street-motor-oil.png

HPS is a non API performance oil.

And the SAE/API-SN oil looks like this:
high-performance-motor-oil.png

The SAE oil is an API-SN warranty compliant oil and is the one most commonly found in your local parts stores.

The differences:
The Royal Purple SAE street oils are API oils. There is the old SJ and SL, and the new API SM and SN. When the stores run out of the old it will be replaced with the new, same part number, different oil, license and bottle.
The new API SM and SN oils have chemistry restrictions limiting phosphorous. Limiting phosphorous limits zinc since they are both used in a compound called zinc dialkyldithiophosphate or ZDDP for short. ZDDP is the old familiar anti wear additive and the new SN oils now have less of it. The phosphorus cap is 800 ppm and we formulate as close to the cap as we can. Since the zinc is tied to the phosphorous in the ZDDP compound the zinc will be very close but just under the 800ppm as well.

HPS High Performance Street has no chemistry restrictions, because it is not an API licensed oil. As such we can build it to be as robust as we want and we did. HPS will typically have in excess of 1200 ppm zinc and phosphorous both. HPS also has a very generous dose of our proprietary Synerlec additive technology. Synerlec | Lubricant Additives | Royal Purple

HPS is formulated in between our legendary XPR extreme performance race oils and the warranty compliant SAE/API street oils. Yet HPS is priced much closer to the street oils. HPS is formulated to be appropriate for VERY high lift flat tappet cams, yet still be able to be used in street cars with cats. ZDDP comes in different quality levels, the best is extremely low volatile with very high retention and this is the type we use. The cheaper joe average ZDDP is why most companies tell you not to use their race oils on the street.

The HPS is without a doubt the BANG FOR THE BUCK WINNER in this comparison.:rockon::dancenana:

SULFUR??:shrug::dw: Were you thinking about zinc or phosphorous perhaps?:shrug:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
A suit and tie answer is what I had planned but I had to take a call at 4:58 and did not finish until well after 5 when I'm supposed to bug out.

So here are most of the answers to some of the apparent misunderstandings:

"Switch back to synthetic blend"? That would involve changing brands since Royal Purple does not make a synthetic blend. All of our oils are full synthetic. A syth-blend is a conventional oil supplemented by a certain percentage of synthetic.

"I replaced the old RP with the new API SN HPS 5w20 today". Not possible.:shrug::dw: They are 2 different oils.
The HPS looks like this:
high-performance-street-motor-oil.png

HPS is a non API performance oil.

And the SAE/API-SN oil looks like this:
high-performance-motor-oil.png

The SAE oil is an API-SN warranty compliant oil and is the one most commonly found in your local parts stores.

The differences:
The Royal Purple SAE street oils are API oils. There is the old SJ and SL, and the new API SM and SN. When the stores run out of the old it will be replaced with the new, same part number, different oil, license and bottle.
The new API SM and SN oils have chemistry restrictions limiting phosphorous. Limiting phosphorous limits zinc since they are both used in a compound called zinc dialkyldithiophosphate or ZDDP for short. ZDDP is the old familiar anti wear additive and the new SN oils now have less of it. The phosphorus cap is 800 ppm and we formulate as close to the cap as we can. Since the zinc is tied to the phosphorous in the ZDDP compound the zinc will be very close but just under the 800ppm as well.

HPS High Performance Street has no chemistry restrictions, because it is not an API licensed oil. As such we can build it to be as robust as we want and we did. HPS will typically have in excess of 1200 ppm zinc and phosphorous both. HPS also has a very generous dose of our proprietary Synerlec additive technology. Synerlec | Lubricant Additives | Royal Purple

HPS is formulated in between our legendary XPR extreme performance race oils and the warranty compliant SAE/API street oils. Yet HPS is priced much closer to the street oils. HPS is formulated to be appropriate for VERY high lift flat tappet cams, yet still be able to be used in street cars with cats. ZDDP comes in different quality levels, the best is extremely low volatile with very high retention and this is the type we use. The cheaper joe average ZDDP is why most companies tell you not to use their race oils on the street.

The HPS is without a doubt the BANG FOR THE BUCK WINNER in this comparison.:rockon::dancenana:

SULFUR??:shrug::dw: Were you thinking about zinc or phosphorous perhaps?:shrug:

Thank you so much for the reply, I will be switching to the HPS after the API SN. Thank you for the clarification.

The test performed by The Petroleum Quality Institute of America showed sulfur... Maybe just a foul up.. Thanks for clearing this up, I am currently using the API SN High performance oil NOT HPS. As far as I know HPS is not available yet here in Germany. Now I am even more excited about my next oil change... I love the Synerlec!!!

425673_367472569951181_100000653239737_1211575_586207787_n.jpg

Last edited:

Scotty_5.0

Established Member
the pill, i'm one of the many grabber blue '12 5.0's. i have the saleen grill, black stock wheels, and the matte black hood stripes. i'll be at ramstein hobby shop this sunday doing my springs and panhard bar if you wanna stop by

Users who are viewing this thread