My run with a not-so-stock Mustang (video)

yamahaSHO

Established Member
Last week, my buddy and I took my SC SHO on a road trip back to my home town in Phoenix, Arizona. Yeah, AZ in the summertime, we're nuts. The car felt more powerful from the lower altitude, but we had to back off timing and wait till night time to run the car since I have not installed my charge cooling yet. I still had no problem breaking the tires loose at 4,500 rpm rolling into the throttle and spinning them until redline (8,000 rpm). I happend to do that pulling out of a car show at the Scottsdale Pavilions next to an NSX while playing around with my dad in his 500whp Monte Carlo.

Anyway, while traveling on the freeway, my buddy and I see two Mustangs racing on the on ramp getting on the freeway. The Mustang you will see in the video completely obliterated a 260hp Mustang GT. During the race, the GT was gaining on me quickly with at least a 20mph head start. I dropped it into third and the GT never caught up, I pulled away. When I let off the throttle to let them catch up and pass, they both had the WTF look on their faces. We could not have been happier... In fact, I think my buddy's words were "holy f***".

After seeing how the GT got dusted by the other Mustang, it was time for some catch up. I caught up to him and I were directed off the freeway for construction. We went from a stop... I've never appropriately launched this car before. I spun completely through first, yet I was still side-by-side with him. When it came to second gear, I don't think I pushed the clutch in all the way since it really did not want to come out of gear easily causing me to miss second gear. From there, I let off. I was not happy with that, so I caught back up to him and egged him on to go from third.... Watch the video for results(ran out of storage space near the end). I believe the guys exact words were, "that thing is fast". His Mustang was no slouch either.

http://slshoff.com/SLSHOFF.users/Jason.Zuress/fastmustang.avi

Currently, my 3.0L is sitting around 500 BHP.

Me and my dad showing off our cars at the car show.
225912_498_full.jpg

225912_497_full.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
A jason, nice SHO bud. My first car was a green 1993 ATX SHO. I fried the tranny the day I bought it! Great engine (by YAMAHA) but crappy auto. It was a fun car though. Please post more picts if you got them especially: underhood picts & under-carriage picts. Thanks!

By the way have you ever hear of the SHO Shop in Huntington Beach, they made me a nice Y-pipe for mine!

whitelx

Established Member
Kevin the Clean 1 said:
By the way have you ever hear of the SHO Shop in Huntington Beach, they made me a nice Y-pipe for mine!
Out of business. Nice SHO man. :rockon:
-whitelx

yamahaSHO

Established Member
SHO Shop is still in business, I have MANY SHO Shop parts on my car, to include the blower piping, stage 1 cams, y-pipe (modified for a 3" exhaust), etc. In fact, they finally are producing headers for the car. I've also set up several group buys for them. The Quaife GB was the bigges yet.

I do have a few more pics of the car, nothing recent under the car. I just had a 3" exhaust put on 2 weeks ago.
225912_491_full.jpg

225912_490_full.jpg

225912_483_full.jpg

Two years ago...
225912_183_full.jpg

225912_186_full.jpg

225912_328_full.jpg

Here is an estimated dyno (at the flywheel) from data logging. I honestly don't think I am far off since I was able to walk away from a 375whp (450 at the crank) SHO.

500hp.jpg

Last edited:

transam-98

Established Member
awesome SHO. i really like the painted intake. my first car was an 89' MTX. all your videos are giving me withdrawls. :cryying:

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Nice SHO Jason. I had a lot of fun with my 93 SHO. Before the SHO Shop was around it was hard to get some good parts for it. Does Vadim still own the shop? He is a nice guy, he once picked my & my dad up from the airport so we could pick up my car after his shop performed the GOLD 60K service. Once again, nice SHO! By the way have you stiffen up the chassis with their subframe connectors yet...

iboost5o

Banned
yamahaSHO said:
Last week, my buddy and I took my SC SHO on a road trip back to my home town in Phoenix, Arizona. Yeah, AZ in the summertime, we're nuts. The car felt more powerful from the lower altitude, but we had to back off timing and wait till night time to run the car since I have not installed my charge cooling yet. I still had no problem breaking the tires loose at 4,500 rpm rolling into the throttle and spinning them until redline (8,000 rpm). I happend to do that pulling out of a car show at the Scottsdale Pavilions next to an NSX while playing around with my dad in his 500whp Monte Carlo.

Anyway, while traveling on the freeway, my buddy and I see two Mustangs racing on the on ramp getting on the freeway. The Mustang you will see in the video completely obliterated a 260hp Mustang GT. During the race, the GT was gaining on me quickly with at least a 20mph head start. I dropped it into third and the GT never caught up, I pulled away. When I let off the throttle to let them catch up and pass, they both had the WTF look on their faces. We could not have been happier... In fact, I think my buddy's words were "holy f***".

After seeing how the GT got dusted by the other Mustang, it was time for some catch up. I caught up to him and I were directed off the freeway for construction. We went from a stop... I've never appropriately launched this car before. I spun completely through first, yet I was still side-by-side with him. When it came to second gear, I don't think I pushed the clutch in all the way since it really did not want to come out of gear easily causing me to miss second gear. From there, I let off. I was not happy with that, so I caught back up to him and egged him on to go from third.... Watch the video for results(ran out of storage space near the end). I believe the guys exact words were, "that thing is fast". His Mustang was no slouch either.

http://slshoff.com/SLSHOFF.users/Jason.Zuress/fastmustang.avi

Currently, my 3.0L is sitting around 500 BHP.

Me and my dad showing off our cars at the car show.
225912_498_full.jpg

225912_497_full.jpg

Hi Yamaha SHO. I know the guy who owns that green mustang - he was telling me about his race w/ you. Why don't you post the video of what happened from a dig? don't just tell us about it!
By the way, His mustang is *bone stock* except for a mac X pipe & 3.73s lol... his posi's no good either... Wait till you see his brothers turbo 5o LX :v.

Last edited by a moderator:

yamahaSHO

Established Member
From a dig I spun through first and was still with him. When second came around, I could not get it out of first and then missed second and let off ;) I don't have a video of that. I did protray what happened just fine. Although, I did explain what happened from a dig in the first post.

Just looking at it, I know he had a full exhaust...

I know my car is not slow, it has kept up with a 530hp SHO up to 110 when we let off. I've also got videos of that same SHO passing Ferrari's, Viper's, and more at PPIR.

Either way, I'm happy ;)

Last edited:

iboost5o

Banned
yamahaSHO said:
From a dig I spun through first and was still with him. When second came around, I could not get it out of first and then missed second and let off ;) I don't have a video of that. I did protray what happened just fine. Although, I did explain what happened from a dig in the first post.

Just looking at it, I know he had a full exhaust...

I know my car is not slow, it has kept up with a 530hp SHO up to 110 when we let off. I've also got videos of that same SHO passing Ferrari's, Viper's, and more at PPIR.

Either way, I'm happy ;)

Okay np, but look at it this way: you type out the loss... post video of the win... *shrug* :D. It doesn't do the poor guy justice does it? In any case bro... that SHO may make 530hp it may not... either way it's a 14 second car...

yamahaSHO

Established Member
Had I made it in second gear, it would not have been a loss.

What car is a 14 second car? at 6,000 ft altitude, I'm positive it can dip into the 13's.

EZRIDN

Established Member
Sounds like the stang won the dig race. Those are the real drag races (at a track of course). Sounds like fun though. :)

Nice car.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
ven2om said:
Okay np, but look at it this way: you type out the loss... post video of the win... *shrug* :D. It doesn't do the poor guy justice does it? In any case bro... that SHO may make 530hp it may not... either way it's a 14 second car...

Apples and Oranges.

Users who are viewing this thread