My SVT Contour vs. 88 LX 5.0

celerypowered

Established Member
Well this race happened in November and finally decided to post it. My gf's brother has a 88 LX 5.0 with only a bbk intake and i believe that the gears have been changed (3.73 or 3.55). My contour only has a maf adapter and cone filter. We raced from about 80 - 200kph. Right away he put about 1/2 a car on me then i slowly reeled him in. By the time we came up to a curve in the hwy he had to slow down ( about 200kph), and thanks to the contour's decent handling i just kept goin. Not a bad race considering my car is heavier and the engine has 1/2 the displacement.

The BigSHO

Established Member
Good killl... :thumbsup:

My son raced his moderately modded CSVT against his buddys 89 GT awhile back at the track. The CSVT won by a solid two car lengths. His buddy then modded his 5.0 and it easily beats the CSVT.

5.sl0s can be made into 5.g0s pretty easily. If the 5.0 starts modding, you're done for...

celerypowered

Established Member
Yyah mod for mod the 5.0 will walk all over the tour, thats when i bring him to the twisties :). I am ordering my headers possibly today so hopefully he's still stock so on the hwy i can pull a couple lengths on him.

celerypowered

Established Member
If we would've went from a dig it would have been all 5.0 . When he got the car last summer I raced it for him at Cayuga and ran a 14.17 and that was with street tires so I can say its a pretty healthy pony. I should also point out that I probably have the advantage when it comes to driving.

svtcontour

Established Member
JAYMONEY said:
Honestly, stock for stock a 5.0 should walk a SVTC. Good kill, though. :thumbsup:

Not on the highway.... I used to have an '86 5.0 a while back. Sold it and got a 98 contour svt. I raced a friend on the highway and I pulled 4 cars from 100km - 230km. Granted I pulled 2 of those 3 cars above 190km/hr so maybe its aerodynamics as well. Race started in 3rd gear for me

I've got a modified Y-pipe, gutted precats, high flow main cat, magnaflow mufflers and a KKM cone filter. I'm making only 176 FWHP. At the time I raced, I had no spare tire and I guess the car is lighter than most since I only weigh 145lbs and I have only the stock stereo and stock but light 16" wheels.

My friend had an 89 LX hatch with BBK shorty headers, 2.5" hpipe with cats, 2.5" cat back with flows and 2.5" tailpipes. He had 3.73 gears, 65mm throttle body and a drop in K&N panel filter. Its a pretty clean car and he will beat me on the street but not on the highway.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
svtcontour said:
Not on the highway.... I used to have an '86 5.0 a while back. Sold it and got a 98 contour svt. I raced a friend on the highway and I pulled 4 cars from 100km - 230km. Granted I pulled 2 of those 3 cars above 190km/hr so maybe its aerodynamics as well. Race started in 3rd gear for me

I've got a modified Y-pipe, gutted precats, high flow main cat, magnaflow mufflers and a KKM cone filter. I'm making only 176 FWHP. At the time I raced, I had no spare tire and I guess the car is lighter than most since I only weigh 145lbs and I have only the stock stereo and stock but light 16" wheels.

My friend had an 89 LX hatch with BBK shorty headers, 2.5" hpipe with cats, 2.5" cat back with flows and 2.5" tailpipes. He had 3.73 gears, 65mm throttle body and a drop in K&N panel filter. Its a pretty clean car and he will beat me on the street but not on the highway.

cough*bullshit*cough. I've had many 5.0's and all would pull a SVT contour from any roll. I like my Contour for what it is and that is not a 5.0 slayer. If I punch it from a 80mph roll I almost fell like I could run faster. It pulls on Si's, Proteges, and SVT focus, but not 5.0's, 99-04 GT's, etc...... I'd take it to the track if I wanted to read the sports page as I went through the traps. :sleeping: It will definitely outhandle any GT I've owned but not in a straight line.

JAYMONEY

Established Member
black99lightnin said:
cough*bullshit*cough. I've had many 5.0's and all would pull a SVT contour from any roll. I like my Contour for what it is and that is not a 5.0 slayer. If I punch it from a 80mph roll I almost fell like I could run faster. It pulls on Si's, Proteges, and SVT focus, but not 5.0's, 99-04 GT's, etc...... I'd take it to the track if I wanted to read the sports page as I went through the traps. :sleeping: It will definitely outhandle any GT I've owned but not in a straight line.
I have to agree with you. I've raced a couple of SVTCs in my stock '93 L from a dig and a roll and won. My 5.0 LX would've raped my L in either race. Actually, in my '93 L, the SVTC would've probably beat me from a roll if we would'nt have got caught in traffic.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
there are way too many flavors of 5.0s to say they will walk any CSVT. I've seen more than a few AOD 5.0 pigs run mid 15s...granted drop tops, but it happens. My brother has a video of him ass raping a 5.0 LX (AOD) in my (his) old SHO. If its a manual, the 5.0 should handle it at almost any speed, stock v stock.

JAYMONEY

Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
there are way too many flavors of 5.0s to say they will walk any CSVT. I've seen more than a few AOD 5.0 pigs run mid 15s...granted drop tops, but it happens. My brother has a video of him ass raping a 5.0 LX (AOD) in my (his) old SHO. If its a manual, the 5.0 should handle it at almost any speed, stock v stock.
I seem to forget about the AOD 5.0s. Those were pigs. I could see a SVTC winning that race. (stock vs. stock) :)

svtcontour

Established Member
black99lightnin said:

Then maybe you had a messed up contour or maybe you're a really big guy (220lbs + ) . Like I said. I used to have a 5.0 and I've driven them before (had one for 12 years) and in the end, I had quite a lot of mods) but this contour is faster than my 5.0 on the highway when it was fairly stock. Stock 5.0's are really nothing on the highway sad to say. A BMW 328i with a good driver (5speed model) will beat one with NO probs. I know because I've raced my friend when I had my 5.0 and I lost :( I had my 86 with an '88 upper manifold and throttlebody, punched cats, flowmasters, 3.73 gears and a K&N filter. My friend had NO mods and it was a '96.

My buddy currently has a '2000 model which he claims is faster and I can edge him out with my mild mods.

svtcontour

Established Member
RTStabler51 said:

a fairly stock 5.0 just does not breath well enough to run with a well running CSVT on the top end. I'm not sure if there is a lot of variance on the CSVT's but mine bone stock ran a 15.30@93 and I'm pretty sure right now the way my car sits, its probably a solid 15.0@95 but again, this car's strength is not at the strip but on the highway.

SVTVenom97

BlackVenom
Established Member
Well if you think your contour sVt is a beast on the highway. Try running a Taurus SHO on the highway. Once the secondaries on that yamaha kick in (especially at highway speeds) its bye bye contour! :burnout:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
svtcontour said:
Then maybe you had a messed up contour or maybe you're a really big guy (220lbs + ) . Like I said. I used to have a 5.0 and I've driven them before (had one for 12 years) and in the end, I had quite a lot of mods) but this contour is faster than my 5.0 on the highway when it was fairly stock. Stock 5.0's are really nothing on the highway sad to say. A BMW 328i with a good driver (5speed model) will beat one with NO probs. I know because I've raced my friend when I had my 5.0 and I lost :( I had my 86 with an '88 upper manifold and throttlebody, punched cats, flowmasters, 3.73 gears and a K&N filter. My friend had NO mods and it was a '96.

My buddy currently has a '2000 model which he claims is faster and I can edge him out with my mild mods.

I'd say my Contour runs fairly well. Haven't been to the track with it and probably won't. Just too fragile to risk damaging anything(ie trans). It has a brand new Ford crate motor in it as the stocker through a rod one night. I will say the two best things about driving the Tour daily is 25mpg at 80-85 mph and when I drive my Cobra it feels like a ****ing rocket. :rockon:

6SpeedLover

Established Member
black99lightnin said:
Your CSVT pulls a SVTF at 80 mph?? I would of thought it would be kinda close, guess not...

svtcontour

Established Member
SVTVenom97 said:
Well if you think your contour sVt is a beast on the highway. Try running a Taurus SHO on the highway. Once the secondaries on that yamaha kick in (especially at highway speeds) its bye bye contour! :burnout:

done that... thanks ;) Its pretty much dead even. Here is my friend's manual transmission green '93. Its pretty much bone stock. I ran him when I was stock except for a drop in K&N. I'd be pulling him now. The only place he's stronger than my car is on the initial hit at around 100K but 130+ its pretty even and if anything, above 210km/hr, its not as fast due to drag.
http://powerthings.com/pics/SHO.jpg

Here is the 5.0 I used to have as well so its not like I'm pulling stuff out of my *ss :) I miss this car though. Wish I didnt sell it. http://powerthings.com/pics/capri.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread