My terminator just went nuts... need help!

eric p

Established Member
Let us know. Did you try to flash the stock tune on it already? What handheld do you have? It should have saved the stock tune.

Wayneo

Established Member
Sounds like you lost communication with the pcm to me, this would be why your scanner can't pull codes or communicate with the pcm. I would check all your power and ground to your battery and the ones to the engine compartment to make sure they are all tight. I had a similar problem on a 02 gt and the wire harness to the pcm shorted out on the egr tube causing all dashes on the odometer, flashing theft light, crank no start, and a buzzing from the relays in the ccrm and when I wiggled the harness the car would start, I drove it and it would do the exact same thing that you descirbed that your car did orginally, buck like crazy, touchy gas pedal and then would stall. I'm pretty certain that you have a wiring problem to your pcm.

The best advice I can give you is check the power and ground cables as I already said, inspect the engine compartment harness closely for signs of chaffing or heat damage. You can also try to wiggle test the harness then try to see if your car starts to try and isolate a chaffing concern. If still nothing is found your going to need get a wiring diagarm and start testing all power and ground wires to the pcm.

Last edited:

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Sounds like you lost communication with the pcm to me, this would be why your scanner can't pull codes or communicate with the pcm. I would check all your power and ground to your battery and the ones to the engine compartment to make sure they are all tight. I had a similar problem on a 02 gt and the wire harness to the pcm shorted out on the egr tube causing all dashes on the odometer, flashing theft light, crank no start, and a buzzing from the relays in the ccrm and when I wiggled the harness the car would start, I drove it and it would do the exact same thing that you descirbed that your car did orginally, buck like crazy, touchy gas pedal and then would stall. I'm pretty certain that you have a wiring problem to your pcm.

The best advice I can give you is check the power and ground cables as I already said, inspect the engine compartment harness closely for signs of chaffing or heat damage. You can also try to wiggle test the harness then try to see if your car starts to try and isolate a chaffing concern. If still nothing is found your going to need get a wiring diagarm and start testing all power and ground wires to the pcm.

+1... thanks I will closely inspect all PCM wiring... :beer:

wilderyzed

Established Member
This is gonna b 9 times outta ten a PCM issue wether its a failure or a tuning glitch Im pretty posotive its the computer. Re-flashing it back to fords latest software is a very good idea it should fix the problem unless the PCM itself has internally failed(shorted/bridged etc) I have had a couple cars do this to me in the past at the shop i worked at and whenever these weird ground issues with controls and lights show up along with the OBDII diagnostic ports not working correctly, it almost is only caused by the PCM. Take it to ford see if that fixes it and go from there I think

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Let us know. Did you try to flash the stock tune on it already? What handheld do you have? It should have saved the stock tune.

Yes, my handheld still has the stock tune on it. But, anytime I tried to re-load any tune I have, my handheld would give me an error saying something to the effect of: "Time Out No Power On" (See note in original post...)

This is gonna b 9 times outta ten a PCM issue wether its a failure or a tuning glitch Im pretty posotive its the computer. Re-flashing it back to fords latest software is a very good idea it should fix the problem unless the PCM itself has internally failed(shorted/bridged etc) I have had a couple cars do this to me in the past at the shop i worked at and whenever these weird ground issues with controls and lights show up along with the OBDII diagnostic ports not working correctly, it almost is only caused by the PCM. Take it to ford see if that fixes it and go from there I think

Thanks for the info. I'm really anxious to get my baby to Ford this week!

Wayneo

Established Member
Good luck!! I hope its not the module for your sake they can be pretty expensive.

Last edited:

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Update: Ford found some bad wires on my fuse box beneath my steering column. They just had to re-solder them. My big question is how the heck does that happen...

Anyways, I drove it over 50 miles yesterday after picking it up. Now its home, washed, clean, and safe and sound in my garage!

FYI... I'll be selling the perfectly good CCRM I replaced...

Last edited:

rtvickers

Established Member
Glad you got it fixed. Hope it wasnt too expensive. I know your pain, I was out of town last weekend with mine and it broke down. Had to take it to a Ford dealer to get it fixed. Heres the embarassing part. $260 for a Tstat. Yeah could have done it myself for like $50. But out of town, no tools, no knowledge of the area. Anyway glad yours is fixed.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Update: Ford found some bad wires on my fuse box beneath my steering column. They just had to re-solder them. My big question is how the heck does that happen...

Anyways, I drove it over 50 miles yesterday after picking it up. Now its home, washed, clean, and safe and sound in my garage!

FYI... I'll be selling the perfectly good CCRM I replaced...

Glad you got it fixed.

Would you mind doing everyone a favor and posting up a pic of where the damage took place? Might help someone else out in the future. :beer:

Was it a failed solder joint? Chaffing and cuts are easy to overlook. I'd say most people tend to overlook wiring precautionary measures when doing mods.

Users who are viewing this thread