My trans is screaming at me

chuckdlightning

Established Member
Not sure what the heck is going on with my L. Out of the blue; it started acting up. It wouldn't shift from 1st to 2nd gear unless I backed almost all the way out of the throttle. I assumed that my valve body was sticking or something of that nature.. after about 45 miles of driving; this shifting problem stopped. The truck went back to shifting like it normally does. A few days later; it starts WINING like crazy. It sounds almost like a bad throw-out bearing noice like you get with a manual. (that's the best way I can describe the sound). WTF is going on w/ my truck?!? Yes, I have checked the fluid and it's good to go. I'm about to have to drop $1,300 for a rebuild. Any ideas to save me from pulling the trans and having it rebuilt? I have considered flushing it and changing the filter; but I don't want my efforts to be in vain. Any feedback would be appreciated.

chuckdlightning

Established Member
no....

the whine is most liklely the pump....the 2nd gear issue can be a worn intermediate clutch, sprag or finicky 2 regulator valve....

I have previously had issues with the pump... well; the pump seal went out on me anyway. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. Why would the pump be wining? Just going bad? Sorry; I don't really know the 1st thing about automatics.

Users who are viewing this thread