My try at retrofitting headlights

94slowbra1

Established Member
I think they look great. I love the all black housing and reflector. Looking forward to night pics. You people and your snow storms, I'm running the a/c right now because my kids are complaining it's hot!
This is now on my must do list, seems the more I do the longer it gets

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Well got them all back together over the past few days. Cant wait to actually get the car out in darkness and see how much better they are. Looking back at this there's lots of things I would have done differently, and these are by no means perfect or even close to it. But for my first attempt with really cheap lights, I think they came out good. Here's a few pics I took along the way. Will post up better pics once I get it out in the dark. Would have tonight but we've got a little snow storm coming thru right now didn't want to get it stuck in the driveway haha.

What part of Michigan do you live?

SemperTex

Established Member
Do you have contact info for where you purchased the retrofit kit? I am definitely interested in this.

theretrofitsource.com has everything you need to perform this.

I did my brothers lights last month (mini h1 v7 w/ demon eyes) once I get my car back I will be trying out "passive" demon eyes.

Before I talked him into retrofits he was running the plug n play HID kits in both headlights and foglights. After installation of the projectors his "HID" fog lights are now useless as you cant even see them when headlights are on....so way more light out put with no glare to oncoming traffic.

retrofit_zpsjyprk95j.jpg

Last edited:

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
theretrofitsource.com has everything you need to perform this.

I did my brothers lights last month (mini h1 v7 w/ demon eyes) once I get my car back I will be trying out "passive" demon eyes.

Before I talked him into retrofits he was running the plug n play HID kits in both headlights and foglights. After installation of the projectors his "HID" fog lights are now useless as you cant even see them when headlights are on....so way more light out put with no glare to oncoming traffic.

retrofit_zpsjyprk95j.jpg

How exactly do the Demon Eyes work? Seperate switch? They turn off when the head lights turn on?

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
You just have to find a power source for the Demon Eyes. Most piggy back the power from the park lights or the fog lights. The cabling is right there and it is easy to do.

On my car - I have it on a relay that pulls power from the interior lights or the switch radio power. They light up with the interior lights when I unlock the car or open the door. They light up when the car is running with the same power that turns on the radio. But turn off when I lock the car or the interior light GEM times out.

I'm not sure were SemperTex is pulling power from for his car, but the park lights are off so it is pulling it from somewhere else.

EDIT: Any way you look at it - you need to create a power source for the Demon Eyes.

Last edited:

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
You just have to find a power source for the Demon Eyes. Most piggy back the power from the park lights or the fog lights. The cabling is right there and it is easy to do.

On my car - I have it on a relay that pulls power from the interior lights or the switch radio power. They light up with the interior lights when I unlock the car or open the door. They light up when the car is running with the same power that turns on the radio. But turn off when I lock the car or the interior light GEM times out.

I'm not sure were SemperTex is pulling power from for his car, but the park lights are off so it is pulling it from somewhere else.

EDIT: Any way you look at it - you need to create a power source for the Demon Eyes.

Perfect i was wondering about that. What happens when you turn the head lights on?

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
In my car the Demon Eyes stay on When the Headlights are switch on. I do have an RGB LED controller with remote in the mix - so I could turn it all off if wanted to. But I normally just leave them on.

The headlights are so much brighter that they mask/hide the Demon Eyes.

SemperTex

Established Member
The demon eyes I used (from retrofit source) have light sensors, so when you turn on headlights the sensor detects the light and shuts off the LEDs. Also, my kit utilizes an RF remote to control the demon eyes and I spliced into the HID kit 12v constant to power the LEDs so they can be used regardless of what the car is doing.

keith89

Established Member
It's getting an actual projector with an hid. Which is wayyyyy superior to our stock style lights. With the projector the reflector portion in my stock light would be doing absolutely nothing other than sticking out.

+1 I've done HID retrofits in my Cobra, Ducati 1098, 02 focus(beater) and my current project a 1974 CB750 cafe racer.
Lighting improvement is night and day without blinding others on the road with the projector cutoff set correctly.

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
Retrofits are one of my favorite mods I've done..I had them done through the retrofit factory, also have the LED fogs

22141072584_2a039e186b_b.jpg

NorCal_03Cobra

SVTP Member
Established Member

Very nice! I don't think I could ever go back to halogen bulbs.

I need to do some repairs on mine as one is prone to condensation... Since I bought them used I don't know the process behind this, what is the material used to seal them on the exterior (specifically in the pic above, the top right portion by the reflector)?

Users who are viewing this thread