My TT build thread

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Well after having an exhaust valve problem in my last motor I decided to do the responsible thing and build a completely new motor and sell the KB. Replacing it with a Hellion twin 61mm kit. Thanks to Mauro at Vitale Motorsports building one this past summer and making me very jealous! The build got off to a slow start because I was working a ton of OT to be able to afford all this stuff, but it is finally starting to come together.

I was gonn use my block, crank, and rods, along with some new JE pistons, then as time went by Mauro came across a great deal on another block and crank with Billet Oliver rods, and a set of coated JE pistons, so I jumped on it, even though it ended up setting me back time wise even more.
Since the block had been sitting for a couple years, we had George Coleman deburr and dust the cylinder walls on the .020 block.
0110091838.jpg

Heres the super cool pistons and rods. They should be able to handle anything I throw at them.
0110091837.jpg

We put an oil drain back kit on the bottom from Livernois to help keep the oil where it's supposed to be. The crank is known for drawing in oil from the factory drains on the drivers side, and pressurizing the passenger side preventing it from returning to the pan. The drain back tubes get it past the crank. I'm also using a Melling oil pump since I've read about too many people having problems with the FRPP pumps.
(sorry for the crappy cell pics)
0124091027.jpg

I went with a new set of castings from Livernois. These are stage II heads with their springs. Supposed to flow around 310 cfm on the intake side.
DSC04152.jpg

Exhaust
DSC04154.jpg

I went with a custom set of Comp cams that were spec'd for the twins by Modular Performance. Jason Steen assembled most of the motor and degreed the cams. One of the intake cams were right on, and one was 2* off.
0124091358.jpg

Had to clearance the hold downs for the lift of the cams, even though they are only a 475 lift.
DSC04151.jpg

I'm using the factory lower intake from my car and had Jason port match the intake to allow the heads to do their thing.
DSC04143.jpg

I sat the lower intake and upper intake on the motor to see how it would look. I'm trying out the Procharger sheet metal upper. Top end power should not be a problem with it!
DSC04145.jpg

DSC04146.jpg

Last edited:

Venimus03

Established Member
Sweeeeet! :beer: Can't wait to see that bad boy in action :rockon:

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Me too!

Hopefully when I get back from PA next week I will get the accessories put on and the tranny bolted up to drop back in the car. Then I'll work on the fuel system install, then the turbos.

I just got the Viper spec back from being faceplated at Liberty, and I also recieved my Mcleod RXT twin disk. I'm using a Fore triple hat with GT pumps and an MDM with 79# injectors that I have at the shop. The only thing I havent bought yet is the Eboost controller and 2 step.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
Looks wicked! I'm jealous, you definitely are building one badass motor. I can't wait to check it out when it's done. I'm dying to take a ride in a turbo Cobra.

Might I suggest looking into a return fuel system? I think you'll find at the power levels you're looking at, it'd really be the way to go. If you want I've got a writeup comparing the two and the cost analysis as well. I haven't finished the writeup so it's not posted, but we've gone over it in detail on the other board.

The Yuengling can just makes this thread awesome by itself though.

TRBO VNM

Looks wicked! I'm jealous, you definitely are building one badass motor. I can't wait to check it out when it's done. I'm dying to take a ride in a turbo Cobra.

Might I suggest looking into a return fuel system? I think you'll find at the power levels you're looking at, it'd really be the way to go. If you want I've got a writeup comparing the two and the cost analysis as well. I haven't finished the writeup so it's not posted, but we've gone over it in detail on the other board.

yeah, I put a full return setup together for about 1500 bucks max. will support over 1000rwhp.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member

Thanks everyone.

I was def second guessing myself after buying all the returnless stuff. But it's already bought now, so unless Me or my tuner think it's gonna hurt the motor, I will probably keep it. The fuel requirements for a turbo car aren't quite as demanding as a blower car, and this set up with the MDM is supposed to be good for over 1000 rwhp also.
If you know something I don't, please let me know.

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Thanks everyone.

I was def second guessing myself after buying all the returnless stuff. But it's already bought now, so unless Me or my tuner think it's gonna hurt the motor, I will probably keep it. The fuel requirements for a turbo car aren't quite as demanding as a blower car, and this set up with the MDM is supposed to be good for over 1000 rwhp also.
If you know something I don't, please let me know.

Looks nice Shane. Wish you the best with it.

The issue I see with the returnless is it's still controlled by your ecm. I think it's more taxing on the system with turbos. The turbos come on so hard and strong within only a couple thousand rpms that the processor is working it's balls off to try to keep up with all that's going on.

With the return style, turn key on, fuel pump on. Boost reference the regulator and it takes care of all of it on it's own.

If your ecm has a brain fart, for a millisecond, for some reason under full boost and fuel misses a pulse, it's detonation time. Might not be bad enough to hurt the motor but it can add up.

Remember all the people having hesitations under WOT. PPV's were getting deleted after that, but there was still boost in the cylinders when the fuel cut out and back in. We need fuel to cool these cars down.

It would be MUCH cheaper to cut your losses now and sell what you can and go with a return system.

It's a bit more serious now, with your new power. And, faceplated tranny !!! lol..

Good luck,

J.R.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Looks nice Shane. Wish you the best with it.

The issue I see with the returnless is it's still controlled by your ecm. I think it's more taxing on the system with turbos. The turbos come on so hard and strong within only a couple thousand rpms that the processor is working it's balls off to try to keep up with all that's going on.

With the return style, turn key on, fuel pump on. Boost reference the regulator and it takes care of all of it on it's own.

If your ecm has a brain fart, for a millisecond, for some reason under full boost and fuel misses a pulse, it's detonation time. Might not be bad enough to hurt the motor but it can add up.

Remember all the people having hesitations under WOT. PPV's were getting deleted after that, but there was still boost in the cylinders when the fuel cut out and back in. We need fuel to cool these cars down.

It would be MUCH cheaper to cut your losses now and sell what you can and go with a return system.

It's a bit more serious now, with your new power. And, faceplated tranny !!! lol..

Good luck,

J.R.

Thanks. I know taking the ECU out of the equation would probably be a good thing. With the full kit I have now, I would really only need to swap the hat for a return style hat, and run another line, along with the extra fittings correct? Would I still use the MDM?

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Thanks. I know taking the ECU out of the equation would probably be a good thing. With the full kit I have now, I would really only need to swap the hat for a return style hat, and run another line, along with the extra fittings correct? Would I still use the MDM?

I'm not familiar with the hat set-ups. I used a sump at first, then went to a fuel cell, but yes, another line (return) and fittings, respectively. I did not have a MDM. Mine went to the rails, then regulator. The regulator is controlled by the fuel pressure and needs a boost reference. Won't return as much fuel under boost. Base pressure needs to be set. Usually at 40 , then you get 1 psi fuel to 1 psi boost. If you need more fuel, your tuner can tweak the injectors, if they get maxed out, need to turn up the base pressure on the regulator. Mine was at 50, plus 75 lb injectors. I was around the 900 rwhp area. Remember, too, that load on the dyno is less than load on the street or track. If you are close on fuel on the dyno, the "road" load will put you over the edge.

If you are going the Hat route, I'm sure Jason (Turbo Venom) or Jared from Lethal Performance can get the info you need on those items.

J.R.

NeverFastEngh

Established Member
Hurray for ported heads. Not like it makes as much of a gain with FI but its nice knowing you have them. Nice build, what tranny?

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
I'm not familiar with the hat set-ups. I used a sump at first, then went to a fuel cell, but yes, another line (return) and fittings, respectively. I did not have a MDM. Mine went to the rails, then regulator. The regulator is controlled by the fuel pressure and needs a boost reference. Won't return as much fuel under boost. Base pressure needs to be set. Usually at 40 , then you get 1 psi fuel to 1 psi boost. If you need more fuel, your tuner can tweak the injectors, if they get maxed out, need to turn up the base pressure on the regulator. Mine was at 50, plus 75 lb injectors. I was around the 900 rwhp area. Remember, too, that load on the dyno is less than load on the street or track. If you are close on fuel on the dyno, the "road" load will put you over the edge.

If you are going the Hat route, I'm sure Jason (Turbo Venom) or Jared from Lethal Performance can get the info you need on those items.

J.R.
Thanks, I'm gonna talk to my tuner about it and see what he thinks.

Hurray for ported heads. Not like it makes as much of a gain with FI but its nice knowing you have them. Nice build, what tranny?

Viper spec freshly gone through and face plated by Liberty gear.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Well, ran into a little hiccup last night. The alternator wouldbn't clear the intake up top in the NA Cobra/Mach 1 position, so I'm either gonna run it off a seperate belt in the stock 03 Cobra position, using Prochargers brackets, or switch intakes, to allow for the NA location. Annoying. I'll figure out which way to go today, and work on the fuel system while awaitng the new parts needed for the alternator.

Anyone need a 03 Cobra lower intake and intercooler, or a Procharger upper? haha

Wiseguy

Established Member
check out the kit for relocation of the Alternator on

karkraft.com and see if that would work with the turbo piping.

Users who are viewing this thread