My version of the hood mod!

Steel City

Banned
Well I got tired of looking at that hood blanket so I took it off for the hell of it. Im a little disappointed that part of the hood was still in primer:??: Anyone else have this problem? I also cut off the vent covers as well. I've heard people claim your paint will suffer from this but Im not worried about it. There are a lot of vehicles out there that don't have hood blankets. My very special "whistle pulley" is more than noticeably louder as well as the supercharger whine :rockon: I love it, what to you guys think?

:beer:

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
hmm, maybe I should check mine hood too see if the paint was unfinished there as well....good shot of the pulley there man. Bling bling!

Steel City

Banned
Originally posted by SPEEDTRAPZ
what size and where did you get your pulley from, it whistles?

It's a 2.93 non slip from SE racing. I got it from a buddy and from what I have been told they don't make them anymore. I've heard my share of cobras and non of them have a pulley whistle like this:) I still have the factory exhaust so it is extremely noticeable.

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I got the answer for your unpainted hood question. I used to paint at the plant here in K.C.
I painted Contours and then Escapes. Ford's idea of saving money INCLUDES not putting any paint where the hood blanket should be. I did the underhood job in the prime both on night shift for 2 years and then basecoated and clearcoated doors for 3 1/2 more. When I did the hood job I painted EVERYONE of them that I got. I caught hell for it from the foreman, general foreman, superintendent, and the paint area manager. Didn't matter....I painted the ENTIRE hood. It got painted for autoshow cars and salaried employees. Why not everone else? I also basecoated and clearcoated under the doors which not everyone does. Anywhere that gets covered up or is unseen after complete assembly likely does NOT have any paint on it.

Steel City

Banned
Originally posted by Torch Red 10th
I got the answer for your unpainted hood question. I used to paint at the plant here in K.C.
I painted Contours and then Escapes. Ford's idea of saving money INCLUDES not putting any paint where the hood blanket should be. I did the underhood job in the prime both on night shift for 2 years and then basecoated and clearcoated doors for 3 1/2 more. When I did the hood job I painted EVERYONE of them that I got. I caught hell for it from the foreman, general foreman, superintendent, and the paint area manager. Didn't matter....I painted the ENTIRE hood. It got painted for autoshow cars and salaried employees. Why not everone else? I also basecoated and clearcoated under the doors which not everyone does. Anywhere that gets covered up or is unseen after complete assembly likely does NOT have any paint on it.

Good info! Nothing Ford does anymore really surprises me, I had a feeling I wasn't going to be the only one!!!

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I forgot to mention this in my previous post....NOT to my surprise after working and painting for Ford, but my hood looks the same also. No paint.

I'm almost reluctant to mention that I work for Ford in some replies I make. I just mention it when trying to give insight to the questions asked. Figuring by saying that I work there and know why some things are the way they are, it gives validity to my answer. Unfortunately, the majority of stuff mentioned here is negative towards Ford. 99% of it justified though. Most people have ill feelings toward UAW members, but most don't realize we are just as disappointed as you are. Ford doesn't listen to customers or it's employees. I catch things going down the assembly line everyday that I point out to the foreman. Most of it is paint related since I'm at the beginning of trim, just after paint. Also because I worked in paint and am aware of the defects and things to look for. I'm told "that's paints responsibility, not ours." or "they'll get it later" or some bull$hit answer along those lines. Ford pisses me off just as bad as you guys. Maybe worse because I see it everyday first hand. It's embarrassing.

Steel City

Banned
One other thing that I forgot to mention was my rocker panels (I think thats what they are called) and my side scoops do not match the rest of the paint on my car:cuss:

Oh well I'll just have another and tomorrow will be a new day.

Steel City

Banned
Originally posted by FordFreak4.6
Your only calling it the "whistle pulley" cause it creates more blower whine from the smaller diameter right?

No. The pulley it self whistles, not to be mistaken with the supercharger whine. They are very different sounds but they both sound sick especially with the quiet factory exhaust.

FordFreak

Established Member
Ok cool. Thats what I thought. What kind of whistle is it? How loud and what difference is in the pulley to make it whistle?

Last edited:

Steel City

Banned
Originally posted by FordFreak4.6
Ok cool. Thats what I thought. What kind of whistle is it? How loud and what difference is in the pulley to make it whistle?

Who made the dam thing?

I don't really know how to explain the sound, I guess its like a high pitched weeeeee! It's most noticeable when I run a gear out to 3k, as soon as I push in the clutch and let off the gas to shift thats all you can hear but you can hear it all the time including startup If I get on it hard the supercharger whine over powers it. Not sure what the difference is in the pulley that makes it whistle, must be the way the non slip grooves are cut our something? It was originally made by SE racing, I believe. Hopefully very soon you will be able to buy one..........

Rwick7

Established Member
The Whurstle Pulley :)

I'm gonna have some made to match it real soon. If anybody wants one PM me...the cost will be under $90...and it grips just like the RR pullies.

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
Originally posted by Steel City
One other thing that I forgot to mention was my rocker panels (I think thats what they are called) and my side scoops do not match the rest of the paint on my car:cuss:

Actually, all those parts are painted somewhere else. Then they're shipped to Dearborn and put on the cars during regular assembly after the body is painted. Stupid huh? More than likely, all of our Cobras probably have parts painted with at least 3 or 4 different paint batches. Body is one, front and rear fascias another, rockers another, scoops another, spoiler another. Perhaps 5 total. When I bought my '00 Contour the spoiler didn't match. Ford had two different silvers that year.....you know where this is going. Anyway that's why the rockers don't match. They were painted somewhere else with a different batch of paint. Close, but not as good as using the SAME batch for all parts.

Users who are viewing this thread