My very first kill....

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
Well this morning on the way to work I decieded to take the long way....considering I was a little early and like driving my car of course.....Well me and this 96-98 GT are messing around when we pull up to a red light.....well me still not being to sure about my 1st gear launches was actually alittle afraid to run the guy thinking I was gonna bog the car really bad.,.....Well the light turned green and he took off like a pro....me I had major....I mean major wheelspin all the way across the intersection.....By now he's half a car ahead of me and I was finally getting traction....I shift into second and jump way ahead the good 'ole LT1 just screaming.....I pull up even with the kid, and then just keep going....shift into 3rd and its all over, walked all over him maybe 3 or 4 car lengths....It was so cool.....we caught the next light and talked for a minute before it changed and I had to turn....he had a K&N and a flowmaster with a Auto....

Sorry about the long post but I just had to let you all know about my first Kill with the Z......

Oh yeah Steve since your gonna be back out here this weekend maybe I'll even let you drive.....You might just have to get rid of SVTPERFORMANCE.COM and start Z28PERFORMANCE.COM :dw: ;-)

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
So you've had the car for what, a couple of days and you're already picking on Mustangs???:p

Anyhoo, he should have known better to mess with an LT1 with an automatic and no (significant) modifications to his 'stang... At least he was cool about it. ;-) I'd be interested how it would have gone against Blackgeetee :-D... His Prochambered, five speed '98 GT might make it interesting...

Joel,

You ever raced a mostly stock Z28?

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
I do have a question though but im not sure if anyone can help, im looking for stock 1/4 mile times and speeds for the 97 z28 m6....anyone have any ideas? Just wanna get an idea before I head out for the track on April 14th..:D

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
With your cold air and exhaust, I'd say fourteen flat...if your car is stock with 3.42s. If you've got 2.73s, mid fourteens...

I had a comparison summary of 'stangs and Z28's through the years (since the mid 80's), if I can dig it up, I'll send it to you. I think most of the major car magazines got mid (to high, most "test" drivers for mags drive like grannies) fourteens out of the '93-'97 LT1 Z28s & T/As, most were M6s...

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraDOHC
hmmmn only 14's huh....I guess the intercooled procharger might be getting bolted on quicker than I thought:dw: ....:D
That's the beauty of bench racing. It is totally hypothetical :-D. Take your car to the track, and you'll know EXACTLY how your car runs (on that track, on that day...):-D.

I work with a guy that drives a '00 Z28 A4, stock (3.23s) with K&N and ran a 13.5X in the quarter mile (on a fast track: RCR outside S.A.). He's got an LS-1 that is probably putting 300HP to the wheels, bone stock. I also know a member of SCOA ran a 13.3 at 103 in a bone stock '99 Cobra with paper filter. Both cars were running street tires. I work (more closely) with another gentleman that drives a '00 T/A WS6, also with an automatic and 3.23s who has ridden with me (and I with him) and he doesn't want to run me, because his butt-o-meter says mine is faster...:coolman: My car with K&N and Flowmasters probably only runs mid-high thirteens.

Everything is relative, and even if your car runs twelves, if you can't hook-up at the light, the stock 190 HP 1990 Turbo Eclipse GSX AWD next to you will wax your ass, in a street race...:-D :D

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Addendum

The only LS-1 that I've had a chance to run was a '99-'01 Camaro SS, M6 where we both hooked-up well and we were fender-to-fender to 80 and he was REAL surprised that a Mustang was right there with him :-D. I've only had a couple of informal races with what I'm sure were stock LT1s (Z28s, one T/A and a couple of Impala SSs), and I didn't have any problems, if you know what I mean...

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
Just a guestimate, but if you hook up nicely at the start (and practice makes perfect they say :) ) and go into each gear as good as you went into 3rd against the 'Stang you should break 13's, no problem. Spin like you did at the light and I don't think a 14 sec run is out of the question. :(

But heck, you might get out there and shock everyone including yourself! Blue98Cobra gave some prime examples. :burnout: Good luck...Have fun...And enjoy Chevrolet's truest Z...lol :-D

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Nice kill Tony!:D

Jimbo, I've never ran up against an LT1, or LS1 for that matter. It just seems like their never around close when I'm out driving. I had an RS 97ish Camaro get right on my bumper trying to play with me the other day. Traffic was too heavy though and he pulled off before we had a chance to race. Then last night as I was making a right turn, a Trans Am WS6 (LS1) which had apparently been following me a few cars back (which I luckily didn't see) revved the hell out of me as I was turning. That thing sounded very mean. He would have wupped my ass. But anyway, I have yet to encounter an LT1.

I did race and twice beat a white 2000 Mustang GT last fall right after I got the Prochamber. I couldn't believe it.

Steve

Established Member
I raced an early LT1 in my 2000GT, and it was a good race. I was never behind him, I finished in third about 1/2-1 car length ahead of him.

Look out for the newer GT's, mine was stock at the time. Now with the cobra ... :burnout:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Thanks Don,

I didn't remember the M6s having 3.42s starting back in 1993.

Also, I remember a 1992 article where a '93 Z28 convertible had "S" rated tires, or something ridiculous like that, from the factory and it was governed at like 108 MPH. Anyone else remember that?

And people are complaining about the 155MPH limiter on the '03 Cobra :-D.

Users who are viewing this thread