My Winter T56 Rebuild

SonicBlueNick

Established Member
This winter I completely overhauled my transmission and its finally finished, installed and ready to be broken in. I did the complete overhaul for a few reasons. Something was funky with 3/4 gear and 5/6 had a slight whine to it. The clutch that was in it (spec) was so difficult for me to drive I hated it. It also chattered so badly. I didn't want to go magnum because I dont do enough racing for it to be worth it.

I had my rebuild done by maximum performance in Bristol ri and would highly recommend them. I had all new bearings, seals, bronze fork pads, billet keys and springs, blocker rings, bronze iso cup, and I ended up needing a new 1/2 and 3/4 synchro assembly. I also had them put in a hardened throw out bearing sleeve and 26 spline input shaft. All my parts were bought from tick except the input shaft. I picked up a genuine tremec shaft from lethal.

For the clutch I went with the McLeod rst and McLeod aluminum flywheel. Put in a Ford racing throw out bearing, pilot bearing, firewall adjuster, quadrant, and fixed clutch cable. It is just as smooth and easy as everyone says it is. I love this clutch. Everything went in easy and I'm very happy with the result. It shifts perfect, its quiet, and has zero chatter.

Side note, I added the mmr head cooling mod and egr delete before putting the trans back in. I also painted the trans and bell housing with high temp engine primer and paint. Hopefully it holds up.
20180405_160832.jpg
20180406_191158.jpg
20180406_200508.jpg
20180406_204132.jpg
20180406_212715.jpg
20180406_184449.jpg
20180406_184753.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
That's great, congrats. Sounds like you got all the good stuff.

One thing though, make sure that that stock pivot ball still gives you enough clearance once the clutch begins to wear. If not, your clutch may not live too long.

SonicBlueNick

Established Member
That's great, congrats. Sounds like you got all the good stuff.

One thing though, make sure that that stock pivot ball still gives you enough clearance once the clutch begins to wear. If not, your clutch may not live too long.
Thanks, most of the info from this forum helped me figure out what I need. This place is like the cobra bible.

I spoke with my builder about that too because I was worried about the spacing. He said I should be fine the way he set it but it never hurts to check.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread