Mysterious items came from my exhaust

arc00ta

Established Member
So I had a rattle in my passenger side cat for a while now. I decided to swap it out today and picked up an MRT catted H to replace my Magnaflow catted X. I got the magnaflow off and decided to flip it up and see what the rattles were about. This was bought brand new and wrapped up when it went on the car, so I'm fairly sure I did not drop these items down the pipe.

The mesh I can see as being part of the cat itself, but no other cat material came out. The one I'm really concerned about are the cotter pin looking things. Anyone know what these are and why they were in front of the cat? I'm assuming it had to come from the engine to end up where it was.

2012-02-04_18-06-21_419.jpg

postalbunny

Established Member
perhaps staples, from the packaging that somehow fell in or got stuck to inside the pipes? Maybe not from you, but from the factory etc... guess I'll be inspecting all the parts that go on my car a little better just in case.

I doubt they came out/through of the engine, you'd probably be hearing a lot more noises up front :)

arc00ta

Established Member
perhaps staples, from the packaging that somehow fell in or got stuck to inside the pipes? Maybe not from you, but from the factory etc... guess I'll be inspecting all the parts that go on my car a little better just in case.

I doubt they came out/through of the engine, you'd probably be hearing a lot more noises up front :)

I have a lot of noises up front :( I'm pretty sure the timing chains have worn through the guides at least, based on the racket it makes.

They are definitely not staples though. The metal is very, very hard. I could barely bend them with pliers.

Anyways, it only has to last another week or two until I can get my spare car on the road, then the motor is going to get torn down and rebuilt. I guess we'll see if there is any damage at that point.

ausie

Established Member
The parts you pulled out may be something from the assembly process of the cats. I would doubt it that it is a component of the cat unless you can find more clips. If you had a bore scope you could look inside and see, perhaps looke at the other side.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I've never seen a steel wool like material in a cat. Cat's are a honeycomb ceramic material.

mrspeedy69

W.O.R.D.
Established Member
I saw someone punch out a cat in an older civic and this type of stuff was lining the outside of the cat. Not sure what it does but it was wrapped around the honeycomb material.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I saw someone punch out a cat in an older civic and this type of stuff was lining the outside of the cat. Not sure what it does but it was wrapped around the honeycomb material.

Oh I see. I stand corrected.

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
I hope the X-BOX RF transmitter/receiver and CPU heatsink didn't fly out of the pipe! :)

When I neutered my cats, I found the metal mesh was around the outside edges of the ceramic honeycomb. Most likely to insulate the ceramic from the side walls so vibrations don't destroy it.

arc00ta

Established Member
I hope the X-BOX RF transmitter/receiver and CPU heatsink didn't fly out of the pipe! :)

When I neutered my cats, I found the metal mesh was around the outside edges of the ceramic honeycomb. Most likely to insulate the ceramic from the side walls so vibrations don't destroy it.

lol

Thats actually a STACK of dead 360's. Well, one works but its networking port is dead.

Anyway, I brought the X pipe back by the shop today and the cat doesn't seem to be missing anything inside, I looked through both ends with the borescope. Honeycomb is nice and intact, so maybe some leftover stuff from when it was made that came loose? I'm really curious what I'm going to find when I get into the motor in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread