Mystichrome Seats

Homebrew

Established Member
This probably should have went in the show and shine forum, but I was afraid I would reach less mystichrome owners there. My apolgoies if it is too out of place here.

Quick question for you guys with mystichrome cobras. Does the leather on your front seats feel much harder than the rear seats. My front seats feel like cardboard, while the rear seats are pretty soft. I'd almost swear they were two different types of leather. I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. Just wondering if it had something to do with the process used to treat the seats maybe. It'd be nice to hear from the other mystichrome owners to see who else is/isn't experiencing this.

In an effort to correct this, as soon as it gets warm I'm planning to try leatherique rejuvinating oil on the seats to attempt to soften them. It's supposed to be a miracle worker on hard leather. How well it will work remains to be seen since our seats are coated and leatherique is intended for non-coated leather. I have read where people have gotten it to penetrate coated seats, but the results aren't normally as dramatic as non-coated seats. If anyone else has other suggestions for softening the leather, i'm all ears.

-Kevin

SeeJay

Established Member
Well... I've never actually been in the back seats, for any extended time... (and most of the time there's only one other passenger). In any case, from previous Mustangs, the treated center pieces of the Mystinc feel quite a bit harder than I remember the previous Mustangs feeling. But even then I won't quantify previous Mustang leather as being supple either.

If leatherique gives it a much softer and supple feel I'd really like to know. In any case, I think my arse and back has gotten used to the hardness of the drivers seat (or more likely my brain ignores those things over the tach, speed'o, and the Eaton whine :-D ).

Homebrew

Established Member
I've never really sat in my backseat either other than to do some interior cleaning. :D Just to the touch however you can feel the differnce between the rear seats and the front seats. I'm now thinking that part of what i'm experiencing is due to the back seat essentially being nothing more than a huge piece of foam wrapped in leather while the front seats most likely have far less cushioning. Still the leather on my front seats almost feels like vinyl rather than leather.

-Kevin

SpectorV

Established Member
my fronts are a bit stiffer, could it be that they get more sun than the backs and dry out or something?

04Mystik

Samsonite I was way off!
Established Member
Wow, you guys need to get some action! I've been in the back seat of mine many times :rockon: My seats in front do feel a little harder but not a real noticable difference.

Homebrew

Established Member
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I bought some leatherique last week and applied it today. I applied it about 6.5 hours ago and its been sitting since. I think i'm gonna let sit for a couple more days to get plenty of exposure from the sun to heat up. I have the seats covered in black trash bags to increase the heat box effect. I found this suggestion on leatherique's website. FYI Leatherique recommends using its products in high heat to get the best results. With temps in the 60's here right now, its not ideal, but with the sun beating down I think it may be sufficient. Now I didn't use the recommended amount which is 4 oz per seat, however I only did the seating surface, not the seat backs, which are oddly much more supple. I think in reality i probably used 3 oz between both seats, but it was already pooling in places so I didn't want a huge mess to clean up in case none of it got absorbed. I figure I'll see how this goes and maybe do it again using more leatherique this summer when it's hotter out. Last I checked (after 6 hours), it appeared some of the leatherique has been absorbed, but there was still a thin layer of the oil on the surface of the leather. The leather didn't feel any softer, but I suppose it could take some time for the oil to spread through the hide.

Even though the seats are coated leather, I am seeing results that are somewhat promising. According to leatherique's site, it's important to concentrate on the seams since that is the easiest place for the oil to penetrate. They also indicate that the leather hide will soak up the oil laterally, meaning if you can get the oil to penetrate into the leather, it will spread throughout. This gives some hope to those of us with coated leather. I think with repeated applications, I may be able to get enough absorbed to make a noticable difference in the softness of the leather. I'll keep this thread updated with my results.

-Kevin

harsh5.0gt

Established Member
I think it might be the fact that the foam is a little more compressed from useage. But if your rear seats get used as much as the fronts and the fronts feel harder, than my .02 is out.

Erik

Homebrew

Established Member
I believe your partially on the right track. Some of it is that the front seats just aren't as padded as the rear seats IMHO. However, that aside, I can tell a noticeable difference between my front and rears seats by just trying to pinch or even massage the leather. If you grab the front of one of my front seats and then grab the front of the rear seat, you can feel a difference in the stiffness of the leather itself.

-Kevin

harsh5.0gt

Established Member
Homebrew said:
I believe your partially on the right track. Some of it is that the front seats just aren't as padded as the rear seats IMHO. However, that aside, I can tell a noticeable difference between my front and rears seats by just trying to pinch or even massage the leather. If you grab the front of one of my front seats and then grab the front of the rear seat, you can feel a difference in the stiffness of the leather itself.

-Kevin

Wow that is odd. You'd think that the manufactor would use all the same leather. Maybe all '03-'04 Cobra leathers are the same except the Mysti's Fronts...No idea this is way out of my field. My .04.

Erik

Homebrew

Established Member
harsh5.0gt said:
Wow that is odd. You'd think that the manufactor would use all the same leather. Maybe all '03-'04 Cobra leathers are the same except the Mysti's Fronts...No idea this is way out of my field. My .04.

Erik

Tell me about it. I'm honestly beginning to think it has something to do with the process used to add the color shifting pigments to the leather. I'm thinking whatever they do, draws more of the natural oils out than the normal leather process. As a result the front seats which get used more, begin to harden sooner. A possibility I suppose.

-Kevin

harsh5.0gt

Established Member
Homebrew said:
Tell me about it. I'm honestly beginning to think it has something to do with the process used to add the color shifting pigments to the leather. I'm thinking whatever they do, draws more of the natural oils out than the normal leather process. As a result the front seats which get used more, begin to harden sooner. A possibility I suppose.

-Kevin

Sounds good to me! :thumbsup:

I think we might be onto something :read:

-Erik

Matt M PA

Established Member
Here's a thought...are the rear seats really leather? Im my 2003 the rear seats (except for the alcantara part) are vinyl.

Homebrew

Established Member
Matt M said:
Here's a thought...are the rear seats really leather? Im my 2003 the rear seats (except for the alcantara part) are vinyl.

It feels like leather, but I still wouldn't rule out the possibility that they aren't actually leather. In updated news, I just came in from wiping the seats down with pristine clean (another leatherique product, the second step in their system). The driver's seat soaked up the oil pretty well and is noticeably softer. Not by a great deal, but a noticeable amount. The passenger seat doesn't seem to have soaked up as much and doesn't really feel any softer. I'm still hopefull however, given the results of the driver's seat. I think with repeated applications and the added summer heat, I can make significant difference in the softness of the leather. On the down side, I think to reach my the extent of softness that is my goal, I'll have to use quite of bit of the product, easily reaching $80+ given the cost of leatherique and pristine clean. If I can reach the desired softness though, I feel the money spent will be well worth it.

-Kevin

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
I figured I might as well throw my 2 cents into the discussion... :D

I really think it's a padding issue instead of a leather issue. Last weekend I removed the rear seat in my Cobra to install a CDC Light Bar. I was really surprised at the depth of the padding under the seat. The front seat has thinner padding, but support is added by a spring-tensioned wire grid under the padding. Thus, it feels "harder."

Homebrew

Established Member
I think that is definetly a big part of it. However, you can feel a lack of flexibility in the leather surface. I still believe an improvement can be made. I appreciate everyone's insight thus far. Several heads are better than one. :beer:

Homebrew

Established Member
Resurecting this thread from the dead, I just wanted to give a little update. I have yet to apply the leatherique a second time, however I noticed earlier this week that the seats were considerably softer since the last time I was in the car. It's a weekend car that honestly has been driven but once in the past month. It's under a cover the rest of the time. For reference, it's been about a month and a half since I applied the leatherique. I was out earlier this week working on a side project inside the car and when I sat down, I immediatly could notice a difference in the feel of the seat. I'm now very confident that a second application of the leatherique will bring the leather to softeness level i'm after. I'm planning around late june, early july for the next application. I'll keep everyone updated as it seems there is hope for those of us with cardboard hard, coated leather.

-Kevin

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
I know this is an old thread but it's 3 am and I'm bored.

The backseats feel different cause they're vinyl and have been that way for years. Ford stopped using leather on the rears after '97ish.

Homebrew

Established Member
BlownShift said:
I know this is an old thread but it's 3 am and I'm bored.

The backseats feel different cause they're vinyl and have been that way for years. Ford stopped using leather on the rears after '97ish.

That makes sense and I've heard this mentioned before. At any rate, my focal point has become making the front seats softer. I think leatherique is the answer. The seats are noticeably softer since the leatherique treatment. I think subsequent treatmeants will increase this effect. I think maybe this week I'll put leatherique on them again and let it sit for a few days. It's now considerably hotter out than when I applied it before and supposedly that makes all the difference. As always, I'll report back with my findings.

-Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread