N/A 96-98 Cobra

LaserRed_Snake

Established Member
Hey guys I'm new to this! Hah but I wanted to know what performance mods I can do to my 96 cobra to make a good 320-340 hp to the wheels. Current mods- bbk long tubes, bbk o/r x pipe, and I believe a jlt cai. Any help appreciated! Thanks

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
If staying NA then I believe 340 rwhp would be pretty expensive.

gq916

Established Member
look at my signature. Made 308 SAE to the wheels 318 STD. If I had to do it all over again, I would get a smaller Kenne Bell Supercharger with stock gears or No more than 3:55s for sure.

i8urSS

Established Member
Don't get caught up in numbers. These cars will never put down what the LS motors do, but with the right combos they are still a blast to drive. If you want more hp I would throw a blower on it. If you just need a little something every now and then to keep up with your friends, put a little dry shot on it and run the hell out of it.

I personally think gears should be your next mod. That's the best bang for the buck in my opinion. I did 4.10's but would probably do 4.30's if I had it all to do over again.

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
Don't be embarrassed, my car put down 270 rwhp about a year ago. I put some good drag tires on it and with 3.73s, (I am in the process of putting 4.33s in right now) launched at around 4000rpms, and my best pass was a 13.35 @ 105 w/ 1.9x 60'. My LT and LS buddys haven't outran me yet. Don't forget we just have a 281 c.i. motor and we can keep up if not outrun LT/LS. An LS does pull good up top so just beat them out of the hole and hit your shifts, you should be alright. The closest one to me is my buddies 95 LT1 A4, he ran a 13.37. It basically comes down to the driver most of the time as long as the cars are just stock or mildly modded. Like some of the guys have said, these cars do like gears, meaning at the least 4.10s if not 4.30s. Here is what I have to run those #s.

JLT Cai
3.73 gears at the time of this run
Mac H pipe with flowmasters
a crappy short throw
17x4.5 front runners
15x8 rear racestar wheels with Hoosier D.O.T Drag radials
Launching around 4000rpms
My car is unturned also
I shifted around 6700rpms and finished the 1/4 redlining in 3rd gear.

LaserRed_Snake

Established Member
Well as of right now I want to spray my car with a 50 wet shot to 75 shot not too much don't want to blow anything haha. Any brands you guys recommend to do a wet shot setup? I'm kinda on a budget so can't go real crazy on buying every single bolt on. On the fact that I'm about to be 16 and don't make all that much money to buy parts :(

shurur

Established Member
I believe that the same mods that work for the new edge (c head dohc 4.6) work for the sn95 (b head dohc 4.6). The numbers may come down a bit for sn95 because the c head yeilds better HP for all apps (per nasvt).

Anyway..

My usual 2 cent post.
My gleanings from previous Na svt posts...and
Na svt fixed it for me.

I've been calling it the recipe..
#############
General consensus for NA ~320 RWHP with 99-01 DOHC C-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

360-370 RWHP:
106100/106060 comp cams properly degreed.
short runner
Tune
#################

90mm plastic lightning MAF, 39# injectors and FP, long with tune will get you more...but is generally prep for stroker or bb stroker. That's just my take from what I've read.

With the OEM cams degreed properly or by luck with the original build, some new edges are making 330 rwhp...so I would think 320 can be had on the sn94 by implementing the initial list and degreeing the oem cams..

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
So..I'm guessing that you are
A March damper ,March hydraboost (steering) & WP pulleys and Tune away from 310+ rwhp.

Also the sn95 SRI is a DIY....Search.

Last edited:

GRUSE

Established Member
Well as of right now I want to spray my car with a 50 wet shot to 75 shot not too much don't want to blow anything haha. Any brands you guys recommend to do a wet shot setup? I'm kinda on a budget so can't go real crazy on buying every single bolt on. On the fact that I'm about to be 16 and don't make all that much money to buy parts :(

Spraying is the cheapest/easiest way to get more HP short term,long term bottle fills can add up.Although you will barley notice a 50 shot,its a good starting point.I have a Zex wet kit,it is simple to install and if you check the classifieds here,Corral and Craigs list piecing a kit together will save money vs buying new.
Plenty of informative threads about nitrous,pros and cons,dos and donts,installation tutorials,wet vs dry,recommend spark plugs,gaping plugs,timing ,to be safe never spray below 3500rpm or over 6500rpm,window switches and so on.

You're 16(ah to still be eligible youthful offender sentencing)I suggest you enjoy the Cobra for a bit as it is,before dumping cash into her.

Users who are viewing this thread