n/a DOHC modular build up ?'s

jamiehjr

N/A w CompCams, 4.88 gear
Established Member
Hey!

I would like to rebuild my '97 Cobra with big cams. I like the sound of a lopey idle! I would like to retain the original look under the hood with stock intake and exhaust manifolds.

My understanding is the stock MAF and injectors will support 400 hp.

Running HUGE cams like CompCams p/n 106500 242/240 @ .050", what kind of hp potential does this setup have with appropriate forged 4.6 shortblock and my 1997 B heads? How much more horsepower/torque for a big bore/stroked shortblock?

Thanks!
Jamie

NXCaaabra

wobblehead
Established Member
not sure on how much power u pick up or anything, i know its really exspensive, to do, but if ur gonan have cams, then u might as well do long tubes, and intake and all of it since people will notice the idle..... all u need is a fordged motor and a blower lol... youlle be happy then.. good luck on the build tho

jamiehjr

Established Member
My cobra is lowered into the weeds and long tube headers would drag. Plus I have found that headers leak over time and there is only a marginal horsepower penalty for running good high performance exhaust manifolds. Kenne Bell even states in the assembly manual that for horsepower levels below 650, the factory manifolds are fine.

The description of the cam from CompCams states Very Rough Idle. That is what I'm looking for. Kinda like the rough idle of the Crower Stage III. I did a search on Streetfire.net and found some great sounding clips under "Crower".

98_cobra

N/A SnAkE
Established Member
Leaking manifolds are due to install error. Aftermarket headers, especially longtubes are extremely beneficial. I dont know who told you that the hp gain is marginal, but that is false. Especially with a forced induction set up. U need to get the exhaust gases out!! lol.

mustangdan429

Established Member
jamiehjr said:
My cobra is lowered into the weeds and long tube headers would drag. Plus I have found that headers leak over time and there is only a marginal horsepower penalty for running good high performance exhaust manifolds. Kenne Bell even states in the assembly manual that for horsepower levels below 650, the factory manifolds are fine.

The description of the cam from CompCams states Very Rough Idle. That is what I'm looking for. Kinda like the rough idle of the Crower Stage III. I did a search on Streetfire.net and found some great sounding clips under "Crower".

stock cobras usually see about 20hp gain from longtubes. someone lied to you

coolguy10786

Established Member
Jims svt had those cams in his 98 cobra, and made the most hp for i n/a b headed car, or at least very high for one. He had worked over heads and intake and stock short block, i believe. His hp was 382.

I bought those cams from him and will be doing a c head swap as well. I'm going with ported heads & short runner intake, and hoping for around 400rwhp.

BTW running "lopey" cams on a 4v, especially a stock one, is not the way to make power. Search and your questions will be answered.

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
jamiehjr said:

Like it has been stated lopey sounding cams on a 4v are not necessarilly going to make power and 4v's dont have the lopey sound of pushrods. Your definitly not going to be making the power you want from the cams because the stock manifolds are going to be choking them. If you are going to be forging the motor and doing all this work then there is no reason not to get longtubes

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
If you want a lopey idle buy a GT.

The 106500s will give you a lopey idle but along with them come some tuning issues, reduced driveability and crap for mileage.

As for the headers, the long tubes will help but are not neccessary. JBA shorties and Bassani mids are the only non-long tube headers I'd recommend. Ford shorties stink and are not much better than stock.

Iceman12

Established Member
While u guys are thinking about it, I'll throw this question in for myself. If lopy cams don't make power, how much cam will? For example, he said he wanted stage 3's, you all said that was too much cam, would stage 2's be good with head/intake porting and full bolt ons?

I ask because I will essentially be building up my motor like this (porting, cams, forged, bored, bolt ons), then putting a blower on it, so I knew I didn't want too much cam, but I'm not shure how much is too much. Thanks.

Hopefully this will gelp the thread starter as well.

jamiehjr

Established Member
coolguy10786 said:
Jims svt had those cams in his 98 cobra, and made the most hp for i n/a b headed car, or at least very high for one. He had worked over heads and intake and stock short block, i believe. His hp was 382.

I bought those cams from him and will be doing a c head swap as well. I'm going with ported heads & short runner intake, and hoping for around 400rwhp.

BTW running "lopey" cams on a 4v, especially a stock one, is not the way to make power. Search and your questions will be answered.

Hey, Coolguy!

If running lopey cams don't make power, why did you buy the 106500 Comp Cams from Jim?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Iceman12 said:
While u guys are thinking about it, I'll throw this question in for myself. If lopy cams don't make power, how much cam will? For example, he said he wanted stage 3's, you all said that was too much cam, would stage 2's be good with head/intake porting and full bolt ons?

I ask because I will essentially be building up my motor like this (porting, cams, forged, bored, bolt ons), then putting a blower on it, so I knew I didn't want too much cam, but I'm not shure how much is too much. Thanks.

Hopefully this will gelp the thread starter as well.

Lope means overlap and overlap is not good for a street driven FI 4V motor.
If you intend on going FI the most important thing to remember is to not go with cams that have a tight LSA. Anything more than 112 is not good and 114-116 would be better. Also, you may want to go with some that have very aggressive exhaust opening rates or more exhaust timing. My cams have a little less exhaust timing but have very aggressive exhaust opening and closing rates which would make them good for FI also.

It's more about your current mods and the intended rpm range than it is lift and duration.

coolguy10786

Established Member
jamiehjr said:
Hey, Coolguy!

If running lopey cams don't make power, why did you buy the 106500 Comp Cams from Jim?
They do have a lope, but its still not like what you would get out of a cammed push rod car. I bought them awhile ago because i'm planing on having the work done to the heads and intake to support them.

When i said they wouldn't make power, i was referring to using them on a stock engine, as what you made it sound like you were going to do.

I'm actually thinking about selling them and going with some custom grinds or some comp 106400s. The reason being is my car is my DD, even though i don't drive it everyday, but it is my only car, so mileage needs to be around 20mpg. Plus i don't want my car to have crappy power in the lower to mid rpms since thats were i will be most of the time. I will only get to use their full potential on that drag strip, and even then i won't be able to spin it much past 7000rpm b/c of my stock short block.

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
98_cobra said:
Leaking manifolds are due to install error. Aftermarket headers, especially longtubes are extremely beneficial. I dont know who told you that the hp gain is marginal, but that is false. Especially with a forced induction set up. U need to get the exhaust gases out!! lol.

+1! I have bassani midlengths ( I didnt want to take my headers off to do transmission work, figured a few hp is worth it) and I love them! They do give big power gains, especially under F/I

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I talked to a guy with fr500 cams in a mach 1 it sounded so bad. it made like 380 to the tires all motor. do not know what all was done to it thoe.

Users who are viewing this thread