N2O ?

blacksnake98

I am seriously considering buying a Compucar Nitrous in a Bag kit tomorrow. Am I asking for trouble, or will I be just fine. I am only looking at using the 50hp nozzles. I know I will have to retard my timing adjuster, and have already switched to Autolite 764's. Are there any other steps I can take to prevent potential problems? Just looking for some advice before I make my final decision. Thanks.

Casper5.0

Established Member
Go for it man. I was thinkin' of doin' the same thing to have a little edge if i ever decided to race for some $$$. You should be fine a 50 shot should just clean out the cylinders a little not gonna hurt a thing. I talked to an engine builder around here about doin' the same thing and said change to colder plugs and you'll be fine. So maybe someday i'll get some change and buy my bag...... BTW your car should run like a raped ape slobras really like n20. Good luck.

RYAN

Hillbilly Cobra

Established Member
Get a MSD window switch, this allows the nitrous to come in and go out at a certain RPM, and if you miss a gear it automatically shuts it off. I would personally go with the Nitrous Express kit, they rate their kits at the rear wheel, as the other kits rate theirs at the flywheel. Just an idea, might wanna check it out. Good luck !!!

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
I hope Doug chimes in soon as he's sprayed the bejesus out of his snake. Trust me when i tell you that you will use the 50hp pills for a few runs and then you will want to upgrade to the larger pills. ;) Speed and HP are addictive. Take precautions and buy a window switch to avoid bouncing off the rev limiter.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
i just had an idea. everyone knows the reason the imrc's get dirty is because there is no fuel going through the secondary runners to clean them right? well, since nitrous is injected into the intake shouldnt it pass over the imrc's and possibly help to knock some of the dirt off?

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
raven69david said:
I hope Doug chimes in soon as he's sprayed the bejesus out of his snake. Trust me when i tell you that you will use the 50hp pills for a few runs and then you will want to upgrade to the larger pills. ;) Speed and HP are addictive. Take precautions and buy a window switch to avoid bouncing off the rev limiter.

heh thanks david :-D

You will not need to retard timing on a 50 shot. Colder plugs isn't a bad idea, but also probably not needed. To be honest, I don't think a 50 shot would even be worth it unless you were trying to "get the edge" and not let people know you have nitrous. AKA - if you were hustling ;) and even then a dry shot would be applicable to that situation.

At least the 75 pills or your purchase really wouldn't be justified.

Window switch is a good investment for the conscious...i've got one sitting in my basement...had it for a while...

gap those 764s to .035-.040 to prevent spark blowout..

optimum bottle pressure for Compucar kits is 1000psi. Compucar nitrous solenoids are guarenteed to work up to 1150psi. And they are rebuildable. All you do is call up compucar, tell them your sending the noids in for warrenty work, send a check for 10$ for shipping charges, and they'll send it back to you.

If you are buying the kit used, make sure you clean out the lines before you install it on the car. Best way to do this? Fill your bottle, and run some nitrous through the line. That should clean it out. Also, make sure the solenoids don't leak and open up. I got a kit that had a clogged fuel solenoid (wouldn't open) i didn't know it at the time. So i was spraying 125 horse worth of nitrous and my injectors were squirting just enough fuel for the motor alone ;) that along with probably one or two more things caused my motor to blow up.

Best way to test the nozzle is to hook it up outside the car, run nitrous throught the nitrous port then through the fuel port. if it fogs, then it should work.

When you install the nozzle, you want it to be about 4-6" away from the throttle body. I've got mine right as it starts to bend to towards the TB shooting straight at it.

Don't spray it below 3300rpms. you don't want to spray it while the IMRCs are closed (another story for another day). Also, the air velocity carries the nitrous into the motor.

mustangdan429

Established Member
Don't spray it below 3300rpms. you don't want to spray it while the IMRCs are closed (another story for another day). Also, the air velocity carries the nitrous into the motor.

why...the short version.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
standing waves. Just like in speaker boxes, the corners of a speaker box are dead spots. in the same way, when the imrcs are closed it creates dead spots in the airflow where fuel and nitrous can puddle. and when nitrous and fuel puddle.....BOOOM!! just ask my buddy that has a sentra with a 50 shot. Blew all the rockers off the #1 cylinder...hehe

Lazerred98cobra

Established Member
what is the safest kit? I was thinking ZEX but everyone seems to be saying NX Express? Also i am running all 98 fuel and wiring but a 01 long block? Do i have to do anything special to make it work on mine? Also how easy is nitrous to install? I am very good with tools and have pulled my motor and put a piston in one as well due to no tune! So i am fairly knowledgeable? But ill be honest i have never dealt with nitrous?

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
any kit will be as safe as the next. I don't really like the zex kits but some people swear by them.

Its pretty easy to install. There is a port on the fuel rail, you just pull the shrader valve (tire cap lookikng thing) out and screw the fuel line into it. drill a hole in your intake, push the nozzle it and make sure its point towards the TB and put some sealant around the hole. Everything should be pretty easy.

StangsN4x4S

USMC
Established Member
TexasSVT said:
i am with hilllbilly, window switch, and NX, maybe even a fuel pressure safety switch

:lol: ....... off topic but doug when r u gonna race hustlin u. i dont know if thats his name on here but thats it on LM. supercharged car

SPICER

Blood, Sweat, and Gears!
Established Member
DO NOT GET A MSD WINDOW SWITCH! It's crap and iv had nothing but problems with it. I have double checked all of my connections with it and it messes up my tach when the bottle isnt turned on. I finally indeed up putting a toggle switch on it to turn the window switch off and on at will.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
rrspicer said:
DO NOT GET A MSD WINDOW SWITCH! It's crap and iv had nothing but problems with it. I have double checked all of my connections with it and it messes up my tach when the bottle isnt turned on. I finally indeed up putting a toggle switch on it to turn the window switch off and on at will.

uhh....did you get the correct window switch? there are different ones. THe kind for COP (ls1s 99+ cobras and so forth) ignitions and the one for everything else. I feel this is probably a highly isolated incident as MSD makes quality stuff.

stangn4xs: when my car is back out, and just so you know it was all a joke. BUt I wouldn't mind running his car.

Users who are viewing this thread