NASA Event- Hot Fun for your '03

Bingo13

Established Member
For those of you who would like to bring your '03s out for some fun in the heat. To keep this technical, anyone figured out a good way to improve our cooling for OT events. I am almost at the point of doing a 330 4V stroker with the "R" cooling items.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Morning,

Everybody is invited to the NASA TEXAS "Build It and They will Come" Festival at Motorsport Ranch - www.motorsportranch.com on August 2-3, 2003.

NASA Texas - Fun, Safe and Well Organized Motorsports Festivals.

COME TO:

Race
Intro Driver Education
Race Craft (Advanced DE Drivers)
Competition Licensing

COME IN:
Street Car
Race Car
WATCH OUR FEATURED RACE GROUPS:
* MAZDA COMP - the Spec Miata's are competing for points in the Wheels America
Spec Miata Road Racing Series.
The RX7's are bringing on the competition for their Texas RX7 Series.
* LEGENDS - Fierce competition for INEX National DOUBLE POINTS.
* BABY GRANDS - Watch these folks compete for their Baby Grands of Texas Series
Points.
* FAST OPEN WHEELS - See Who is Faster: FC's, FA's, FM's or the FRAN-AM Cars.
Each is competing for points in their own class, but NASA Texas will also recognize the
top three finishers of the weekend. The Challenge is on!
* CLOSED WHEEL RACING - This group features many of our popular classes. Class
Directors from Camaro/Mustang Challenge, American Iron, Pro-Roadsters (Cobra
Replicas), Lotus/Super 7 Style Cars and Pro-Sedans (IT style cars) are planning to put
on a show...both on the track and off. Other featured classes will be Vette Viper
Challenge; Super Unlimited 1,2 & 3; Pro-Compact; German Touring Car Challenge and
more.

SUBMIT YOUR ENTRIES NOW

Entry forms found at www.nasatx.com

NASA Texas makes it easy for you by accepting entries via fax and accepting credit cards and pay-pal. In addition, we accept them the old-fashion way, the good old mail.

Space Limited to - 135 Total Entrants; The Intro DE and Race Craft (Adv DE) Groups will be limited to 40 entries.

As a matter of courtesy, please submit your entries by July 24, 2003.
We will continue to accept entries after the 24th and at the track.

The reason we want the entries by the 24th is just out of simple courtesy to us that are doing all the planning and organization. Ladies and gentlemen --- We love putting on these events and being a contributor to the sport. However, the stress from receiving the majority of entries the week of the event and all most half of them at the track is quite overwhelming.

So, please out of courtesy, have your entries to me no later than July 24, 2003.

Note to DE (Driver Education) type drivers. We have a place for you.

Intro Driver Education and Our Race Craft program is designed for the streetcar drivers that typically participate in DE style events. Race Craft has been designed for the Advanced DE drivers. The reason it is called Race Craft is because the classroom curriculum is focused on the sport of racing. Your track sessions are more focused on helping you to improve your skills. If you want lots of track time and really desire a focused program, then NASA TEXAS has a home for you.

Note: participation in this group counts toward you being eligible to receive a competition license.

Learn more: http://www.nasatx.com/html/drivers_education.html or call Shannon 281-802-9863

COMPETITION LICENSING PROGRAM

This one is self-explanatory . If you want to move towards getting your competition license and you have not held a recent competition license with any other organization, then this is the program for you. To find out more go to:

http://www.nasatx.com/html/drivers_education.html or call Shannon 281-802-9863

RACING

If you have a race prepared vehicle and a competition license, then we have a home for you. We have groups for both open wheel and closed wheel racecars. FORMULA MAZDA'S, LEGENDS, BABY GRANDS, SPEC MIATAS, SPEC RX7's, VIPER VETTE CHALLENGE, AMERICAN IRON, LOTUS/SUPER 7 STYLE CARS, IT STYLE CARS, COMPACT CARS and more........

If you want to race, we have the place for you.

http://www.nasatx.com/html/racing.html

http://www.nasatx.com/html/main.html

SCHEDULE

Details to follow in another e-mail. However, here is a summary of a typical weekend

RUN GROUPS:
Intro DE
Race Craft / Competition Licensing
Mazda Racers
Fast Open Wheels
LEGENDS/BG's
Closed Wheel Comp

Friday Evening:

5:00 PM - ? Come to the track to get checked in, drop of your car and visit with your fellow drivers.

8:30 PM ---- Intro DE, Race Craft and Competition License Orientation

Saturday:

First track session will be at 8AM. We will end at 5PM. Lunch Break around noon for 50 minutes.

Students will need to be available for their on-track drive through and walk through at 8AM.

5:30 PM: PARTY....We always have good food and beer.

Sunday:

First track session will be at 8AM. We will end at 5PM.

EVENT THEME
This event is dedicated to all of the officials, drivers, crews and fans that have participated in our events over the last three years. It is also dedicated to those that will be attending their first NASA Texas event. We started NASA Texas with the mindset that if we build it right, they will come. And, that you have. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you--our fellow racers and enthusiast. Continue to come to the events. Your support is appreciated and needed to ensure we have a foundation on which we can progress into the future.

QUESTIONS

Call Shannon: 281-802-9863, 281-485-5085

Have a great day...... Please get those entries submitted.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by 03 Cobra Toy
:shrug: Will the 03 handle road racing in the Texas heat???

The only way to really find out is if we use your car for the first test. ;-)

I think we could pull off a few laps which I will try but nothing more than that for me. We have TWS at the end of August also. I am still sorting through the parts for the differential cooler, no go on the "R" oil cooler, but I did fork out the money for the PHP heat exhanger kit.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Originally posted by Bingo13
The only way to really find out is if we use your car for the first test. ;-)

I think we could pull off a few laps which I will try but nothing more than that for me. We have TWS at the end of August also. I am still sorting through the parts for the differential cooler, no go on the "R" oil cooler, but I did fork out the money for the PHP heat exhanger kit.

How do you like PHP Heat exchanger??
Maybe we should look at bigger radiators for our cars?? I'm still thinking about the Sean Hyland oil cooler....Let me know when you get the Diff cooler worked out...

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
I'd definatley put in a bigger radiator. The stocker is puny. The diff cooler is a must, but is a lot of work. An larger heat exchanger would help as mentioned. We have an oil cooler setup that uses the coolant. It works well. I'd run a manual fan switch and leave it on high for the session.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
I'd definatley put in a bigger radiator. The stocker is puny. The diff cooler is a must, but is a lot of work. An larger heat exchanger would help as mentioned. We have an oil cooler setup that uses the coolant. It works well. I'd run a manual fan switch and leave it on high for the session.

94SVT Coupe : Do you have an 03 with a larger radiator ? If so what kind?

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
94SVT Coupe : Do you have an 03 with a larger radiator ? If so what kind?

I don't. I will one day though. That core just looks so tiny. And radiator upgrades are easy, just a little expensive.

Don't forget a set of track brake pads. And change your brake fluid after it's over.

Last edited:

Bingo13

Established Member
How do you like PHP Heat exchanger??
Maybe we should look at bigger radiators for our cars?? I'm still thinking about the Sean Hyland oil cooler....Let me know when you get the Diff cooler worked out...

I have not installed the Heat Exchanger yet, still unpacking boxes around here. I have been trying to locate a bigger radiator that will work with the heat exchanger and oil cooler layout. I know there are upgrades but I would like for everything to be upgraded and still fit.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
dude! i want to participate ... if our cars can handle it.

Your car will kill us once the tuning is done and maybe you should be the one to run more than five laps in August. ;-)

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
I have not installed the Heat Exchanger yet, still unpacking boxes around here. I have been trying to locate a bigger radiator that will work with the heat exchanger and oil cooler layout. I know there are upgrades but I would like for everything to be upgraded and still fit.

Bingo13, There is lots of room to install a bigger radiator after the heat exchanger is installed. The oil cooler maybe another thing....I have been looking for a 3 core radiator but I can't find one..I was thinking about looking at the 00R radiator to see if it would fit in our cars....
Ill be working on the cooling problem next week..
In the last two weeks I finished my brake up grade,brake cooling ducts,NittoRII and seat belt harness...I'm getting there one step at a time..
MY WIFE IS :cryying:

Last edited:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
dude! i want to participate ... if our cars can handle it.

Our cars should be able to handle it WE just have to be carefull. The heat build up with a SC can be a problem. If your running a bunch of boost you may have some over heating problems...I have 2.93 upper with a very rich chip in my car. No I don't make a lot of HP(450 hp/t) but it is very safe for HOT weather racing.(I hope):( I'm glad to see another 03 will make it out to the track with Bingo13 and I.....It's going to be hotter than HELL...:thumbsup:

coleman

Established Member
Your car will kill us once the tuning is done and maybe you should be the one to run more than five laps in August. ;-)
i'll need your input on improving my car for open track racing cuz i don't want to suffer from (ie) brake fade when it's most important -- you know what i mean!

Bingo13

Established Member
David,

When we measured the '00R radiator it would not fit with the oil cooler and upgraded heat exchanger as a drop in item. I plan on revisiting the subject to see if some creative engineering might work. My car ran fine at Hallet except for the s/c heat soak but with a upper/lower combo that was to be expected. My main worry was the rear end as Andy can attest to the fact about how hot our IRS gets on cool days at the track. Adding it and the upgraded oil cooler would be my top two items for consistent track visits. If I get the OT bug really bad again then a stroker is going into this car and this engine might get dropped in a Mach I provided my wife does not drop me first. ;-)

p.s. Nice vids from StangBang.

Bingo13

Established Member
i'll need your input on improving my car for open track racing cuz i don't want to suffer from (ie) brake fade when it's most important -- you know what i mean!

A really good set of pads, ss lines, and fluid is all you will need for the first visit. :thumbsup: If you continue to OT then call your banker for what comes next. ;-)

Last edited:

davidmax

Established Member
I build a custom radiator 3 core aluminum about 40% more capacity than stock and inputs for engine and trans oil.We use these on out Twin turbo vettes and I crank 800+ rear ponnies from my Cobra at 112 degre outside temp,running it as hard as can be imagined.
As far as brakes go I have 2 systems to suggest most expensive front only Brembo gran turismo requires wheels usually expensive,Fikse,HRE etc..........
The other entrant holding up great are an exclusive set I get from willwood13.68 rotors on all 4 wheels uses stock wheelsZinc washed/crass drilled or slotted/6 piston front and 4 piston rear,stainless Russell or Goodyear line.The system is very similar to a Brembo but your doing all 4 wheels for 1000.00 less than the Brembo GT front alone would cost.I'm still going back and forth on pricing 100 set minimum and they will sell between 2-3000 probable final cost about 2250 for all 4 whhels and thats with 1 100% ceramic non dusting very durable pads.
Theres nothing cheesy at all with this setup it will stop as good as top tier Brembos and there will be minimal fade if any.All you need is some Motul or Ford blue brake fluid,bleed it an (stop) GO!!!!!!!!!!.Theres been 3 months of fitment engineering on these and they will fit your choice of 03,03,or 03 oh and yes Cobras.
If the margets nice on these we will design a similar setup for the lightning as well even though with the friction surface and the qaulity of the hardware,it would probably haul down the brick as well.Anyone interested pm me and if I can gaet 20-30 orders I can sell 50 to shm because this would be the 1st Ford part weve stooked other than our race radiator.
Happy holliday,Dave S

Bingo13

Established Member
Dave,

How much for the radiator setup? Always looking for better cooling on this car.

:D

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by davidmax

The other entrant holding up great are an exclusive set I get from willwood13.68 rotors on all 4 wheels uses stock wheelsZinc washed/crass drilled or slotted/6 piston front and 4 piston rear,stainless Russell or Goodyear line.

Dave,
Am I understanding this right in that you are going to be running 13.68" rotors on all four corners of the car?

Wouldn't that throw the brake bias off?

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread