NASA Instructor Brian Border...

maoun

Established Member
man brian, wish i coulda been there

keep me posted as to when you're at the track next and i'll do my best to be there

m.

yermo

Established Member
great videos! looks like a lot of fun out there. last time i was there my buddies rim broke in half and we crashed in the dirt! it is a great track very fun good stuff.

maoun

Established Member
brian, you kept an awfully conservative line in those first videos..

(not trying to insult....just wondering why you were conservative)?

in that last video you held a much more aggressive line.....driving the corner rails, etc.

who was in the car taking the video? adam?

m.

bborder

Established Member
Not sure what you meant by conservative because that was the correct racing line, however, if you're wondering why I wasn't driving at 120%; as an instructor its not in NASA's best interest to have me driving at the limit with a passenger in the car. Now when myself and the race director went out in the Porsche Turbo.... that's a whole other story :)

Adam was running the video.

Last edited:

jonas

Established Member
brian is right btw, I'm hooked like a 3 dolla hoe to a crack rock
It makes drag racing look like preschool.

Dont worry guys im not giving up drag racing.
it has a high all its own

Adam wanna go next month and run your cobra?
lets do the whole weekend this time!
I hope I have my k-member and a-arms in by then.

maoun

Established Member
gotcha....wasn't quite sure if someone else was in the car and you were instructing :)

so brian, what pulley are you running on yours when you're autoxing?

m.

bborder

Established Member
Adam... Driving Concepts school is what I went through to get my competition racing license and if you're looking to get into the race groups with a purpose-built race car, then that is the place to start. Its a mix of classroom and on-track experience designed to get you familiar with the racing rules, environment and strategies.

Marwane- I'm running the 3.1 pulley all the time, I haven't ever changed it.

maoun

Established Member
thanks for the info brian.....have you ever had heat problems running it?

when i had my 03 FULLY stock and at the streets of willow it kept overheating.....granted it was a HORRIBLY hot day. +100 degrees.

i'm putting in a gauge right now to monitor the intercooler's temp.....i'm curious as to exactly how much heat difference the pulleys make.

now, granted, i have the fluidyne radiator, which makes a big diff....along with a thermostat, etc....

thanks for the info

bborder

Established Member
I've never had heating problems with the exception of one time when I didn't top off my coolant.

Streets of Willow is a really slow track so its no surprise that you had problems there; lack of airflow will do that.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Originally posted by FuShnickens
definitely sounds like a lot of fun! just gotta figure out how to go straight well before i start turning. ;-)

Yeh, me too. After I feel that an 11 sec 1/4 does not require a miracle, I want to start tinkering with learning to turn. No rush, just start nibbling at it. I have some of the road stuff on the car already. From before my first trip to the drags.
Left and right turns feel like a whole new level of commitment. ($$$)
James

jonas

Established Member
brian,

Thanks for the instruction and putting up with me :)
That "offramp" turn kicked my ass but after looking at the map I can see whats going on and what you meant by making 2 turns into 1. My problem was I couldnt visualise the turn with all that extra asphalt out there. Im sure we will be running a different config next month but dang config 1 was a blast.

Next time if there ever will be one Ill clip the inside burm coming in and go as far out as I can before starting the turn.

See you next month

Snakin

"No Worries Mate"
Established Member
I should be there, but most likely still in the 5.0.

It was good to see some 03's out at the track, I'm sure there's a few more SoCal Terminators who need to get out there and do this.

Users who are viewing this thread