Navy guys

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
Ive pretty much made my decision that I will join the military in some way or another. But I had a meeting with the Air Force recruiter and pretty much got denied due to a D.U.I that I pled no contest to when I was like 17-18. The Navy recruiters were next door so I said F* it and walked over. They said I had a chance despite the DUI so I took the Pre-asvab and scored a 92.

I just feel like i'm not really doing anything with myself. Just graduated with a BA in Economics. So Ideally Id like to go in for 4 years (maybe more) get some more schooling (masters degree maybe) and figure out what I want to do while HOPEFULLY traveling overseas and saving up some $.

You guys have any advice or experiences? How is the Navy life?

AznStanger3v

King of the LOL
Established Member
In these times, having a DUI in the military is going to stack the deck waaaay against you. The military is downsizing, and it's things like that that they are looking for when deciding who to send packing. Try not to put too much stock in the recruiter's words. He wants to make quota and whether you get in or not, you are worth the risk if it means he adds one more person to his list. Navy life isn't glorious by any means, especially for a new guy. Guess what that Bachelor's means? It means you are a seaman(E-3). You will be taking a lot of shit from a lot of people that have no foot to stand on, other than the fact that they've devoted enough of their lives to call some shots. Mostly the assholes who got their asses whipped their whole lives and have finally put 15+ years in getting bent over by the man and can tell you what to do. My suggestion is you find something to do with that piece of paper you have. I've been in for about 6 years, so I've had more than enough experience in this dog-and-pony show. Ask questions about: Duty, watch standing, deployments, living on a ship, liberty expiration. Don't get blinded by the port visits. 3 days having fun really isn't worth 30+ days of looking at nothing but water, working 18 hour days 7 days a week.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you have a degree I'd look into OCS. The officer side is a lot different then the enlisted side.

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
Navy here for 12yrs, What job field do you want or what are they offering?

Not real sure, the recruiter kind of immediately asked if I would be interested in the nuclear program, and I kinda said meh and then he asked if I could swim and do the rescue diver/swimmer. I just kind of said I need to look at my options and didnt really give a definitive answer, so I got a bunch of pamphlets and am not kinda browsing.

My problem with OCS is that it takes like 1-2 years just to apply and get started, when I can enlist and try for OCS while im already in.

heywaitfourme

Established Member
I'm working on my 9th year in the service, 6 with the Army, and the remaining with the Navy. I seperated from the Army in Jan of 2008, got a job as a leading laborer building bridges, making very VERY good money. In August of 2009, I joined the Navy. I missed the service since the day I left, but had to due to family issues. (read...father has terminal cancer and his medical bills were pilling up...) My father is finally doing well, his bills are paid, thanks to the bridge building job, and I was able to do what I wanted to do again, so I join the service, again.

I have nothing but praise for the Navy. It was by far the best decisions I've ever made, and would do it again in a heartbeat. I am in the Nuke field, and am currently an instructor in Charleston, SC. I work with some very amazingly smart, down to earth people. I do my job, don't complain and sometimes even put in a little bit of extra effort, and I have yet to be, "bent over..."

Remember, the military is not for everyone, and spend time talking, not only with recruiters, but those who are currently in. Some hate it, some like it, I LOVE it.

Last edited:

01trublue cobra

Established Member
Not real sure, the recruiter kind of immediately asked if I would be interested in the nuclear program, and I kinda said meh and then he asked if I could swim and do the rescue diver/swimmer. I just kind of said I need to look at my options and didnt really give a definitive answer, so I got a bunch of pamphlets and am not kinda browsing.

My problem with OCS is that it takes like 1-2 years just to apply and get started, when I can enlist and try for OCS while im already in.

What do you like to do or want to use after military life? Answer that and I can narrow down the best rates (job) you can do.

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
What do you like to do or want to use after military life? Answer that and I can narrow down the best rates (job) you can do.

I THINK after the military I would like to go in law enforcement, although I dont think I want to do Military Police or anything like that while i'm in the Navy. I would really like to learn a new language and get some more schooling in the computer or business field. Basically I want to learn some skills that will help me be successful in the real world when I get out (if i chose not to say).

basically I want out of my military experience:

-Travel
-Save some $
- Have decent living accommodations (worried about living on a boat)
-Better myself in furthering my education / getting in great shape
- Get skills for a job after Navy if I chose not to stay

AznStanger3v

King of the LOL
Established Member
basically I want out of my military experience:

-Travel
-Save some $
- Have decent living accommodations (worried about living on a boat)
-Better myself in furthering my education / getting in great shape
- Get skills for a job after Navy if I chose not to stay

You will definitely be travelling in the Navy.

Saving money is easy as long as you know how to live within your means or get stationed in Japan/somewhere overseas.

Education: New instruction says that you must do a minimum of 1 year on your first ship before you can get tuition assistance. But keep in mind, depending on what rate you get, you need to factor in you schools as well. Like me, I'm an AEGIS FC, so if this instruction existed when I got in, I would've been at my 3 year mark in the Navy before getting schooling for free.

Getting in shape is possible now. That is up to you. Believe it or not, a lot of dudes get to the ship, pick up binge drinking and drunk eating as a hobby and never see the inside of the gym. Makes guys like me even better come PRT time.

Having the military is a good check in the box for jobs. That's what I'm using it for. Check in the box, free education, eye surgery, and a paycheck.

This is a big commitment, and you should talk it over with your family as well.

01trublue cobra

Established Member
If you want computer skills then be an IT (Information Systems Technician) the navy totally revamped the IT school and just finished the pilot program to include more networking, modems switches, lans, and etc, don't go nuke.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
If you have a degree I'd look into OCS. The officer side is a lot different then the enlisted side.

Yup....nothing wrong with being enlisted but having a BA will allow more money and opportunities BUT also way more responsibility.

Likely Supply Corps with your degree? Talk to an Officer recruiter as well

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
I have kind of thought about it more and was wondering if you guys had any experience with the Navy Aviation side ...enlisted or OCS. Im going to try and go for OCS I have decided, but if i dont think that will work, I will go enlisted

stangliter04

Established Member
I have kind of thought about it more and was wondering if you guys had any experience with the Navy Aviation side ...enlisted or OCS. Im going to try and go for OCS I have decided, but if i dont think that will work, I will go enlisted

You can always submit your package after you are in... Two people I knew in bootcamp went straight from bootcamp to OCS. I loved my time in the Navy. I work as a contractor now with the Army. Navy>Army

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
18 years here and ready to retire in 2! Been a blast but ready for the 2nd part of my life. The Nuc school is here in Charleston, SC and it's a 2 year school. If your smart...you might make it. The drop out rate is HUGE. If you want to go Police then go MP or be a gunners mate. I ran the Armory on a Minesweeper for years and was also a Small Arms Insturctor. I'm a Mineman however and deal with underwater mines both on Minesweepers hunting and disposing of them and keeping our stockpile up to speed on shore duty. You can look rates up online. Do not come into the Navy without an "A" school after boot camp. If you came undesignated you will be a junior person even longer. Lots of great places and you can knock out school and save money as well. Spent most of my time in Charleston, SC, Bahrain, Sicily, Corpus Christi, Tx and San Diego, Ca. Would trade my memories for anything. -Shane

Kubin-B

Established Member
it is nice to be under way, but then again it sucked sweeping water off the deck while it was raining outside. what ever you do if they decide to take you makes damn sure you get everything in writing and that before you sign the contract you have read and have a good understanding of it.

Marineflyboy

Established Member
With a college degree you should go to OCS to become an officer. Better pay and better jobs. I just recently got back from OEF and head back out on the boat early 2012 for round two. If you are interested in the aviation side and have any questions about flight school, daily life in the fleet, etc let me know.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Been in 2 years, I'm an enlisted AT working on Super Hornets at NAS Oceana. I love what I do. Congrats on the choice. *IF YOU HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE GO OCS* bottom-line bro. I don't regret my decision but listen to me when I tell you.

With a college degree you should go to OCS to become an officer. Better pay and better jobs. I just recently got back from OEF and head back out on the boat early 2012 for round two. If you are interested in the aviation side and have any questions about flight school, daily life in the fleet, etc let me know.

You a Legacy or Super driver?

Last edited:

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
I'm a Legacy guy. I see you are at 106. I went through there a little while ago. Va Beach was some great times!

Yea, I like Virginia Beach but Norfolk bloooowwws. I used to word C/D but I switched to the E/F side. Working on legacy's sucks almost as much as Norfolk. The Marine guys do a damn good job flying though from what I've heard from our pilots :beer:.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread