Navy Nuke.... Any advice

tico915007

Established Member
Well I joined the navy, I swore in last friday my current guarenteed A school is AV. I took the Nuke test yesturday and scored an 83 so I qualify. What advice do you guys have about the program. I also took the pft and I qualified for everything but seal, missed the run by 30 seconds. I was thinking also about EOD what do you guys think about both programs? Am I better of as a nuke, av, eod. Thanks in advance

VAMPIR3

Established Member
NO clue what any of that means..... What does that mean you qualified for Nuke?

tico915007

Established Member
to get into the program you need your asvab scores and then you take a qualifying test that consist mostly of algebra and chemistry I needed higher than a 50 to get in and i got an 83 so i now qualify for the program

VAMPIR3

Established Member
Does that mean you work on Nukes or help build them or your the guy who launches them if ever???

Chris C

Established Member
Well I joined the navy, I swore in last friday my current guarenteed A school is AV. I took the Nuke test yesturday and scored an 83 so I qualify. What advice do you guys have about the program. I also took the pft and I qualified for everything but seal, missed the run by 30 seconds. I was thinking also about EOD what do you guys think about both programs? Am I better of as a nuke, av, eod. Thanks in advance

Think of it this way, whatever program you get into, ask yourself if this is what you want to do when you get out of the military? You will be getting all of this training while you are serving your time.... when you get out do u really want the 4 years of school and what not go to waste b/c thats not what you want to do anymore... I say pick the option that will benefit you the best when you leave the service...

I only say that b/c i had friends that were grunts in the marines, and when they were done they had NO marketable skills for actual jobs.

Dusten

Established Member

what do you want to do when you get out? how much school do you want?
and you DID NOT get an 83... an 80 is the max, wanna check my credentials? I work at meps, as a navy processor....
Most people score around the mid 50's, and if you let me know what meps i can make a phone call and find out your score....
AV is a good program because you learn to work on air crafts, and it translates well, nuke is great because the bonus is good, and the outside the navy money is good, however the working hours in the navy suck, as does the job. EOD has a high failure rate, so make sure you are ready before attempting that. Any real questions, PM Me.

Dusten

Established Member
to get into the program you need your asvab scores and then you take a qualifying test that consist mostly of algebra and chemistry I needed higher than a 50 to get in and i got an 83 so i now qualify for the program

and not everyone has to take the nuke test, some people have a qualifying line score from just the asab.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
i was original crewmember on board cvn-74 as a sm3. go to signalmen a-school and live the good life, then use the college money after you get. thats what i did lol.

Vizior

Established Member
what do you want to do when you get out? how much school do you want?
and you DID NOT get an 83... an 80 is the max, wanna check my credentials? I work at meps, as a navy processor....
Most people score around the mid 50's, and if you let me know what meps i can make a phone call and find out your score....
AV is a good program because you learn to work on air crafts, and it translates well, nuke is great because the bonus is good, and the outside the navy money is good, however the working hours in the navy suck, as does the job. EOD has a high failure rate, so make sure you are ready before attempting that. Any real questions, PM Me.

I thought that the general overall score was a percentile, making it out of a possible 99 percentile.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
and not everyone has to take the nuke test, some people have a qualifying line score from just the asab.

My brother scored a 93 on the ASVAB and was offered Navy nuclear right out of High School. My other brother and myself scored 92's and were never offered nuclear. It was my understanding that the 92 on the ASVAB was good enough for any MOS with the exception of nuclear school

Rochard

Established Member
What advice do I have for you?

Run. Seriously.

My best friend served in the US Army in Germany in the 1980s. His job was to maintain the nuke tipped missile trucks. Well, turns out one of the leaked and ten years later he has what's called "water on the brain". He's had thirteen operations on his brain, and well, he's not all there.

You could not pay me enough to work on that stuff.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Ok, to get back on topic, A nuke in the Navy, like was initially posted operates and maintains the nuclear reactors on both ships and subs. It is a highly sought after/needed position in the Navy. However, it is one of the most demanding. So, the Navy also compensates you nicely for it. I don't know if they still do signing bonuses, but the re-enlistment bonus for a Nuke is huge, last I checked in the area of a $60-100K. First you will go through about 2 years of school before ever stepping onto a ship/sub. Advancement is fairly rapid, E-6 by 4-5 years especially if you have a good aptitude for taking tests. I was on Subs for 24yrs and I will tell you that the Nuke guys worked their asses off. But some will tell you that it is a highly rewarding job. If you decide to go this way, get college done while you're in. If you can swing an engineering degree while serving as a Nuke in the Navy, you can write you're own ticket when you get out....

01yellercobra

Established Member
A nuke TAD to my shop is looking at an $80K bonus right now. And that's as an E4. What is the AV? Is that just a general aviation rating?

Last edited:

tico915007

Established Member
Correction I got an 83 on my asvab and with my line scores, PS1(SW/AW) Jean-Hero Lamy the Nuclear Field Programs Cordinator for San Diego district, told me that i needed at least a 50 to qualify for the program he called me 2 days ago and told me i qualified now all I need is a waiver for my parents being born in Cuba. I'm leaning more toward AV- which breaks down in "A" school to AE or AT because I work with my hands and do something mechanical like work with planes but at the same time I get some advanced training and some schooling. Reason why I shyed away from nuke even though everyone is telling me I am an idiot if I don't do it is because ive always hated school and 18 months of hardcore school IMO isn't for me. Another question, My recruiter is really pushing for me to do nuke or eod do they get a achivement award for putting kids into nuke or special ops because he's really trying to sell it to me

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
i was original crewmember on board cvn-74 as a sm3. go to signalmen a-school and live the good life, then use the college money after you get. thats what i did lol.
SM doesnt even exist anymore...

I thought that the general overall score was a percentile, making it out of a possible 99 percentile.
bingo.
My brother scored a 93 on the ASVAB and was offered Navy nuclear right out of High School. My other brother and myself scored 92's and were never offered nuclear. It was my understanding that the 92 on the ASVAB was good enough for any MOS with the exception of nuclear school
the over 0-99 has no bearing on the job, its a combination the the score of each small test

What advice do I have for you?

Run. Seriously.

My best friend served in the US Army in Germany in the 1980s. His job was to maintain the nuke tipped missile trucks. Well, turns out one of the leaked and ten years later he has what's called "water on the brain". He's had thirteen operations on his brain, and well, he's not all there.

You could not pay me enough to work on that stuff.
different job dingleberry
Correction I got an 83 on my asvab and with my line scores, PS1(SW/AW) Jean-Hero Lamy the Nuclear Field Programs Cordinator for San Diego district, told me that i needed at least a 50 to qualify for the program he called me 2 days ago and told me i qualified now all I need is a waiver for my parents being born in Cuba. I'm leaning more toward AV- which breaks down in "A" school to AE or AT because I work with my hands and do something mechanical like work with planes but at the same time I get some advanced training and some schooling. Reason why I shyed away from nuke even though everyone is telling me I am an idiot if I don't do it is because ive always hated school and 18 months of hardcore school IMO isn't for me. Another question, My recruiter is really pushing for me to do nuke or eod do they get a achivement award for putting kids into nuke or special ops because he's really trying to sell it to me

sounds like you've got it figured out, nuke is alot of school and alot of work, and good luck getting that waiver, that one is almost impossible.

Luckyeod28

major league infidel
Established Member
You are really asking about 2 completely different life paths. I'm an EOD tech, and the lifestyle we lead is an active outdoors life. Most of your work will revolve around solving problems to disarm military ordnance as well as improvised devices. In the Navy you'll also have to get airborne and dive qualified. As a nuke you'll do most of your work indoors monitoring whatever system your assigned and you'll never want to have an exciting day at work.

So if you want to get trained in how to monitor a computer that oversees a powerplant, go for the nuke job. If you want to run around and blow stuff up and shoot people, the EOD is your ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread