NC Inspection?

SHOspazz92

Established Member
Hello all, I have been reassigned to Pope AFB in North Carolina (Fort Bragg, Fayettville). I will be arriving in July, But will have already bought a DD. Later on in the year I will be bringing my 95 SHO out to play. However, I am curious about what kind of inspections there are out there? I have been told that in certain area's there is not Smog but in others there are. Is this true? Also, What else is involved with these Inspections? Currently, The SHO has an aftermarket Y-Pipe with no cats and I see that being the only thing that would give me a hassle.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

-Sam

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Cumberland is pretty strict, Hoke seems to not be so. Not sure about Harnett. If you live down toward Raeford you might end up in Hoke county and you may be ok. No promises though. I live about a mile and a half east of Hoke in Cumberland, so I just keep my Iowa plates :)

Oh and when you get here swing out to Sonic/Advance on Hope Mills Road on a Friday or Saturday night ;)

Last edited:

SHOspazz92

Established Member
Cumberland is pretty strict, Hoke seems to not be so. Not sure about Harnett. If you live down toward Raeford you might end up in Hoke county and you may be ok. No promises though. I live about a mile and a half east of Hoke in Cumberland, so I just keep my Iowa plates :)

Oh and when you get here swing out to Sonic/Advance on Hope Mills Road on a Friday or Saturday night ;)

Hey! Thank you very much for the tip! Hope no one minds my "Slow Taurus" Hanging around. :beer:

-Sam

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
actually, the 96 on back do not get smog tests anymore, just safety inspection. Window tint can be no darker than 35% all the way around. A lot of shops don't look. Just don't take it to a dealer to get inspected. My tint on my SHO registered at 27%, but looks no darker than a car with 35%. And, make sure you have no CEL's, as that will be an automatic fail.

SHOspazz92

Established Member
actually, the 96 on back do not get smog tests anymore, just safety inspection. Window tint can be no darker than 35% all the way around. A lot of shops don't look. Just don't take it to a dealer to get inspected. My tint on my SHO registered at 27%, but looks no darker than a car with 35%. And, make sure you have no CEL's, as that will be an automatic fail.

Does this apply to the inspection given in Fayetteville (Cumberland Country I beleive?) or your specific area? I just want to be 100% sure.

-Sam

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
as far as I know, all of NC went to the 96 back rule. I live in a pretty well populated county, with a lot of cars. A lot of times, in the past, that is what dictated the smog test. They will do a visual check for a catalytic converter, so if you don't have one on, you better get one, or find someone that will overlook it. Check this link out http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/emissioninspection/requirements.html or

Vehicle Requirements

Vehicle Safety Inspection

A North Carolina vehicle safety inspection is required within 10 days of receiving a North Carolina license plate or by the last day of the month printed on the inspection sticker. Vehicles 35 years old, or older, are exempt from the North Carolina vehicle safety inspection. The cost of a passed safety inspection is $9.10. The vehicle inspection can be performed at any of the 7,500 licensed inspection stations throughout the state. Most service stations, automobile dealerships and vehicle repair garages are licensed inspection stations.

If a vehicle fails the safety inspection, it cannot be operated beyond the expiration date of the current sticker. However, the owner has 30 days to correct any safety defects and qualify for a re-inspection at no additional cost, provided the owner presents a receipt of the initial inspection.

On-Board Diagnotic (OBD) Emissions Inspection

North Carolina has a new tool for fighting ozone-forming emissions from gasoline-operated cars and light duty trucks. Since 2002, licensed inspection stations have been required to use a more effective method for testing the air-pollution controls on cars and trucks. It requires them to conduct inspections using the vehicle's on-board diagnostic (OBD) systems, or computerized equipment installed on all new vehicles since 1996. Though they are still required to obtain a safety inspection, diesel-operated vehicles are exempt from the annual emission inspection.

Safety/OBD inspections currently are required in 48 counties: Alamance, Brunswick Buncombe, Burke, Cabarrus, Caldwell, Carteret, Catawba, Chatham, Cleveland, Craven, Cumberland, Davidson, Durham, Edgecombe, Forsyth, Franklin, Gaston, Granville, Guilford, Harnett, Haywood, Henderson, Iredell, Johnston, Lee, Lenoir, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Moore, Nash, New Hanover, Onslow, Orange, Pitt, Randolph, Robeson, Rockingham, Rowan, Rutherford, Stanly, Stokes, Surry, Wake, Wayne, Wilkes, Wilson and Union.

Last edited:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
if you dont want to put converters back on the car, just put a casing of a converter on the exaust so it looks like one it there. on a saftey inspection, its a visual inspection, meaning if you gutted the smog pump... it doesnt matter. if the belt is there and the pump is there is passes, even if it has nothing inside of it. but on a emission inspection, if a part is gutted, the engine lamp should come on, but, if its visually there, it doesnt matter. and we all know how easy it is to have a tune, or turn rear o2's and whatnot off with a scanner. as long as the engine lamp is not on, and its visually there, it will pass. all my buddies that have modded cars, i overlook as long as it passes the engine lamp test part. but peeps i dont know, i'll fail it since we had a Z28 with no cats come in a while back (that was a DMV undercover car) and a tech here passed it. $250 rite outta his pocket

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
it was his stupidity for talkin on his cell, instead of lifting the car... more or less not thinking about a loud ass z28 coming to a ford dealership for a tailpipe inspection :poke:

SVTCobra306

Established Member
D'oh, didn't see the 95 part, man you will be fine with your 95, there is no way to hook it to the OBDII diagnostics so they do just a safety inspection :)

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
I've lived here for 5 years and had an 00 gt and now an 01 cobra. Had to have cats on both. I believe you only need to not show a check engine light and most likely you will pass. Some do a visual inspection to see if you have CATS . The dealers always do visuals. Check out hte local clubs and ask who is doing their inspections. GL. Welcome

Users who are viewing this thread