NC Outer Banks - Vacation Rentals ?

rust0r

Established Member
Hey,

Looking to take a trip with some friends (about 4 of us) to the Outer Banks this summer (June/July), just wondering if anyone has stayed in the area and can give me some tips.

Looking for something decent, Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon (3 or 4 nights), must be ocean front.

There just seems to be way too many options and I'm just hoping someone here has some experience and is able to point me in the right direction

Thanks!

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
I've been there twice so far but when I've gone its been in late May because we could get ridiculously cheap deals, like 50% off. The area itself is kinda remote aka the nearest supermarket is sometimes 30 minutes away. There are a bunch of a little town shops/markets though by gas stations and such . ALSO, one of the coolest things is the Brew-Thru's, aka car service liquor stores.

If I had to give you any tips, either try to find a place local to a supermarket or scope out the different little towns to see what they have to offer and choose from there. We picked a remote one where pretty much all the other houses were vacant around us so it was just my old college buddies and some girls. 1 block from a beach that was literally our own. Other things you might want to look into are the water sport rentals, kite surfing looks like it'd be a lot of fun and the area is good for it.

kitesurfing.jpg

Got this from Wiki so you can search... I've been to Hatteras and Waves

Towns and communities along the Outer Banks include (listed from north to south):

Sunset over the Currituck Sound in Duck (2009)
The Bodie Island Lighthouse (October 2008)Carova Beach
Corolla
Duck
Southern Shores
Kitty Hawk
Kill Devil Hills
Nags Head
Roanoke Island
Manteo
Wanchese
Hatteras Island

Sunset over AvonRodanthe
Waves
Salvo
Avon
Buxton
Frisco
Hatteras
Ocracoke Island
Ocracoke
Cape Lookout National Seashore
Portsmouth Island (uninhabited)
Core Banks (uninhabited)
Shackleford Banks (uninhabited)

Last edited:

AlanSVT

Established Member
Hey you can try to get some info from Horsepowerjunkies.com.... Its a NC based car fourm we have and people from all over the NC area are on it... They may be able to help you out...

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Let me warn you... my wife and I drove 13 hours from Michigan to stay in Kill Devil Hills a few years ago... arrived at about 8:30 pm. EVERY RESTAURANT IN TOWN WAS CLOSED! Only places open were bars. Even the McDonalds and Burger Kings were closed. Ended up turning around and driving to Virginia to get a decent meal and a hotel room for the night.

By the way, when we stopped at Colonial Williamsburg, we were told by several guides and historians there that North Carolina was settled by convicts and shipwreckers. I guess there's no love lost between Virginia and North Carolina.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I stayed in Buxton twice. It is great. Even if you aren't oceanfront, the ocean is less than 1/4 mile away. The best beach sand you will find. I can't remember what company I used, but stayed in a beach cottage, walking distance to the sand.

those VA folk sound like a bunch of dumb asses.

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
http://www.capehatterasmotel.com/

My wife and I have stayed there before. They have everything from efficiencies to townhomes for rent. Nothing super fancy, but there are many units right on the ocean. Look east, you'll see a sunrise over the ocean. Look west, you'll see a sunset over Pamlico Sound.

Last edited:

ff500

Established Member
How funny is this? We are in the outerbanks right now! If you go to carolinadesigns.com, we are in a house called the coast is clear #537. So far the trip has been great, every morning you can see the dolphins a few hundred yards offshore feeding. Weather has been good, tomorrow we are going to take my truck all the way North on the beach and look for the wild horses. If you want me to check something out for you, post it up if its nearby I'll scope it out for you.

Last edited:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Cool, I really want to go check this out.

might have to make it a goal to go there next year

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
How funny is this? We are in the outerbanks right now! If you go to carolinadesigns.com, we are in a house called the coast is clear #537. So far the trip has been great, every morning you can see the dolphins a few hundred yards offshore feeding. Weather has been good, tomorrow we are going to take my truck all the way North on the beach and look for the wild horses. If you want me to check something out for you, post it up if its nearby I'll scope it out for you.

Is driving on the beach legal>??? If so that is cool!
I should plan a trip down. Hook up the jetski to the truck and go!

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
there are certain areas that have truck access. The sand is pretty deep in areas, very fun. I took my old Explorer 4x4 on the beach there, had a blast. There are signs telling you where you can enter

oilwell1415

Established Member
My wife and I were there about a year ago and stayed at a small place on the beach called the Days Inn Oceanfront Wright Brothers and it met our needs nicely. We left DC about 8:00PM and arrived in KDH about 2:00 am and there was somebody there waiting for us. It was only about $60/night too. When we arrived I was thinking to myself "WTF is that noise?" When we got up the next morning I walked out of the room and the ocean was within 200 yards of the door to our room. The Wright Brothers memorial is less than a mile away.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
The OBX is one of the places I intend to visit in the next few years.

A few of us MACA guys have been going for the past few years. We get a big house only a few hundred feet from the beach. At the end of August, the prices go way down, so we end up staying a week for around $300/person.

Is driving on the beach legal>??? If so that is cool!
I should plan a trip down. Hook up the jetski to the truck and go!

Hell yeah. Up on Carova Beach, there are about 7 miles of beach that are only 4x4 access. Hundreds of houses are back in the dunes that you can rent.

Here's a pic of us chillin on the beach. The white XJ is mine.
5700_1129809372168_1435246227_30416259_803066_n.jpg

5700_1129809532172_1435246227_30416263_8000745_n.jpg

This is what happens when you try to follow me into the sand driving something not 4wd. I was going to pull him out, but he didn't have a trailer hitch or tow points big enough for a D-ring to go through.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...62442747982_1435246227_30493644_5059342_n.jpg

mysterio

Established Member
Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills have some of the coolest dunes on the east coast. You can logically see why the Wright Bros. discovered flight there.....just tank up on a few beers, and launch your winged contraption off the dunes. And hope for a soft landing ;)

But also understand something that nobody has mentioned yet: the Outer Banks are called "the graveyard of the Atlantic" for a reason. The deeper in summer you visit, the higher the odds of hurricane season. Early to mid summer is your best bet.

There are at least a couple of great car clubs in the area: the OBX Cruisers, and the Chrome Pony Mustang Club. Our local 'stang club in Va. Beach has had good experience with both clubs.

You might want to check out their web sites and get some ideas from some of them.

m1615

Established Member
We live in Va and go down to the Outerbanks almost every year. A few years back we started going north to Duck. Duck has all the shops, beach, watersports, bike rentals and you can walk to them all. Head further north and drive on the beach at Corrolla and look for the horses. Just don't drink and drive on the Outerbanks.

ff500

Established Member
Here's a few pics from the last few days here at the oxb.

A beer break after looking for the wild stallions.
iphone013-1.jpg

A few of them we spotted, later in the day another pack came running out of the dunes and two of the males were going to fight.
iphone007.jpg

Jockey Ridge sand dunes, my daughter's the little one in the pink, she ended up doing a face plant running down the dunes and we had to take her to the care center for sand in her eyes.
iphone004.jpg

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
been going since I was a baby, this is the first year I will have to miss in the last 6 years because of my schedule. This will be the 3rd or 4th time I haven't been during the summer ever.

It is a great place to go, I think its better for families as I hate ocean city maryland. There are tons of places to eat and the beaches are not over crowded. I have no idea when harry gilbert went but it must have been off season, if you go off season what do you expect?

Users who are viewing this thread