NC ticket cop gives me court date on a sunday

bottlefedvenge

Established Member
. Like 4 months ago i got a Reckless driving ticket in Elizabeth City, NC for 80 in a 55. My question is the cop screwed up and gave me a court date that was on a sunday, my ticket says thursday 4/9/06.He did have 3/9/06 which was a thursday but for some reason he changed it but didnt change the day. So i did the responsonable thing and called the court clurk they told me i would get a new court date in the mail which sounded funny to me that she could not give me one. This was I think a month after I got the ticket. After that i ended up having to go out to sea (im in the Navy) for 3 months. I just came back and yesterday i had a letter from NC and a letter from VA (i live in va). The NC one saying effective 8/7/06 my NC driving privileges is suspended and the VA one says that my virginia licence is going to be suspended effectice july 20.

I am wondering how my licence is getting suspended for 1 my court date was on a sunday there is no court on a sunday. I tried to call today to talk to them but no one answered im calling NC monday morning to try and get this taking care of but what does everything think they did? Gave me a new court date but didnt tell me and then i missed that?

I feel like im really going to get burned on this bad sorry for this being so long just looking for a little words on what to expect monday when i call im really sweating this now.. thanks in advance..

Joe

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
You need to contact your local JAG liason/talk to your recruiter (if your enlisted) he can assist you with this. This could also effect your security clearance privledges if you carry one with your Rating. Its important to take care of this immediately, if you have any questions speak with your C.O. and he will be able to refer you to someone who can help.

I again cant emphasize how important this is to take care of my fellow sailor, they dont mess around with pulling security clearances over stupid things like this =/

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Contact the court, let them know the situation, get the proper documents (Your deployment orders) Fax them to the court clerk. They should reschedule your court date. Be sure to mention the fact you were supposed to come in on a date that court is not infact in session and that you have never recieved written notice of a new court date. If they make an error it is their responsibility to inform you of the new time. Once again if they give you any trouble contact your CO and he will be able to direct you to the proper Navy legal resource.

Im sure its an honest mistake on their part, NC/Virginia understand the life of a sailor and our at shore one night gone the next year kind of life, so im sure they will be able to help you out.

DaleM

Sebring SVTOA
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Tampa03cobra said:
I again cant emphasize how important this is to take care of my fellow sailor, they dont mess around with pulling security clearances over stupid things like this =/
I think the only thing that will affect his security clearance is is he lies during an interview. If all he is doing is the ENTAC, I doubt he will have much of a prob. I have a TS/SCI and have a speed comp w/ a wreckless to endanger. During the interview when asked I let them know, a couple months later my SSO came and said the TS was approved.
I think contacting the court and rescheduling would be the best course of action. Not sure what SniperFox told him but he is a current resident and may have the super poop.

Last edited by a moderator:

bottlefedvenge

Established Member
Tampa03cobra said:
Contact the court, let them know the situation, get the proper documents (Your deployment orders) Fax them to the court clerk. They should reschedule your court date. Be sure to mention the fact you were supposed to come in on a date that court is not infact in session and that you have never recieved written notice of a new court date. If they make an error it is their responsibility to inform you of the new time. Once again if they give you any trouble contact your CO and he will be able to direct you to the proper Navy legal resource.

Im sure its an honest mistake on their part, NC/Virginia understand the life of a sailor and our at shore one night gone the next year kind of life, so im sure they will be able to help you out.

that is what i plan to do i feel like i should of been notified of a new court date since it was the cop who gave me a court date on a sunday.

And to the people talking about clearance i do have a TS clearance in the navy which i have to have to do my job.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
I didnt mean to scare you with that, I didnt mean they would snatch it away from you for getting the ticket, I meant that if you let this go and didnt pursue it, it may eventually come back to bite you. The best policy concerning clearances is to always be honest when questioned as Dale said, because they know anyway, they just want to see if youll be honest enough to tell them.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
I'm in the USMC. Go to your Joint Law Center, explain it to them. No state will take your license if you were under orders at sea if the court date was not given to you. Stay calm and it'll get it self figured out. I had a revokation on my license in NC for failure to pay property tax on my vehical, I was in Iraq!!! And millitary is exempt from vehical property tax. Went to joint law, talked to the DMV, no fine, no revoaction, it's all cleared up.

bottlefedvenge

Established Member
Well it didnt go to good my court date got re scheduled and they said they send me a notice saying it got changed for a month later. They told me they send me a notice which i never got and would of def opened and read that. So there is a order for my arrest and I have to go in and sit in there until the magistry can see me they said i would have a 500 bond and then get a new court date.... Not exactly how i thought it would turn out..

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Bring a copy of your orders and the judge will take that into account. I am sure once he/she hears you and sees your official orders there will be no bond and you will be released with a new court date or maybe some leniency.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
DaleM said:
I think the only thing that will affect his security clearance is is he lies during an interview. If all he is doing is the ENTAC, I doubt he will have much of a prob. I have a TS/SCI and have a speed comp w/ a wreckless to endanger. During the interview when asked I let them know, a couple months later my SSO came and said the TS was approved.
I think contacting the court and rescheduling would be the best course of action. Not sure what SniperFox told him but he is a current resident and may have the super poop.
Exactly. With some of the paperwork I've reviewed, they let almost anyone with a clearance, I mean look at me! Myself, I've had God only knows how many tickets, and my license suspended while I was deployed. Involving clearances, typically they are looking for honesty and a pattern. If you are honest about things such as these then don't worry about it. If its an ENTNAC or even a NACLC you'll be fine.

Bikeboy77

Established Member
I just don't understand how they can say you receieved a letter if it was never sent certified. Mail gets lost all the time. I get other peoples mail every week at my shop. I'm nice enough to return it to the rightful owner but just think about all the people how don't care or are too lazy and just throw it out?

bottlefedvenge

Established Member
Bikeboy77 said:
I just don't understand how they can say you receieved a letter if it was never sent certified. Mail gets lost all the time. I get other peoples mail every week at my shop. I'm nice enough to return it to the rightful owner but just think about all the people how don't care or are too lazy and just throw it out?

well i talked to them about that but it all comes down to me its my responsible to find out my new court date she was like ok so maybe you didnt get the letter but whos responsible is it to figure out your new court date? She really wasnt a lot of help all she pretty much said was come sit in jail until the magistry can see you pay your 500 bond and get a new court date and go on ur marry way..

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Its time to talk to your JLC as Halftime said, If they are asking you to "come sit in jail" its time to get real representation, if you arent confident you can deal with this yourself. Im sure the Navy/Corps Jag office has several members of the NC bar association that can help you clear up this matter. Altho a copy of your orders and a good attitude will likely go a long way with the judge, but be careful,there are people out there that really enjoy sticking it to the military for some reason or another.

Everyone is divided on this issue rightfully so, but I think its always safer to bring representation to court, I think it ensures a fair playing ground, because the judge and the DA both have law degrees.

kbgt

custom user title here
Established Member
bottlefedvenge said:
that is what i plan to do i feel like i should of been notified of a new court date since it was the cop who gave me a court date on a sunday.

And to the people talking about clearance i do have a TS clearance in the navy which i have to have to do my job.
actually in most cases you would lose your clearance because anything that can be used against you in a blackmail situation is not something they want to worry about....and you dont necessarily need your clearance to do your job. they can always issue you an interim clearance. but ive already said too much im going to have to erase all of you....haha

bottlefedvenge

Established Member
kbgt said:
actually in most cases you would lose your clearance because anything that can be used against you in a blackmail situation is not something they want to worry about....and you dont necessarily need your clearance to do your job. they can always issue you an interim clearance. but ive already said too much im going to have to erase all of you....haha

well you might be right in whatever you do but i know in my job if you loose ur clearance you loose ur job. Ive been in the navy over 7 years now and ive seen plenty of people cross rate because they cant hold a clearance..

Its already been talked about over and over at work and im not going to loose my clearance over a speeding ticket. Nor will i ever..

Users who are viewing this thread