NC Traffic Accident, am I screwed?

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
This morning, around 8:00am, I was heading to school. I came upon an intersection that I have crossed multiple times. I waited my turn, and looked both ways, after allowing for a car to pass. Seeing what believed to be clear (as it was rainy and foggy, and real drab, grayish day) I proceeded to cross over. I watched the tach, preparing to change to second when BAM!...I thought my clutch exploded, shortly after the car died. I then proceeded to look back to see if anyone was behind me as I thought I was just going to have it towed home, and I thought the little sideways was the rear tires kinda locking up from the clutch. What I seen was horrific; a car had damage to it's fender. It then hit me what had happened. I said OH F**K, shivered, and climbed out of the car. It was a silver/gray Mitsubishi something. I honestly believe that they DID NOT have their headlights on, as I believe I would have seen headlights. I do know for a fact that her headlights were OFF as she sat in the road, but myn were off too, and both our hazards were on. I'm sure I just couldn't have overlooked 2 headlights that easy. I, however, put "not sure if the other car's headlights" were on, or something like that. She clipped me in the rear bumper, RIGHT behind the quarter panel (thank god,) and shattered my passenger tailight. No other damage is done to the car I don't believe. I was cited for "Failing to yield right of way in obedience to a duly (daily, not sure can't read it) erected stop sign," followed by some numbers.

Anyway, sorry for the long story, but is there ANYTHING I can really do about this? I won't say for 100% sureity that her lights were indeed off before and during the impact, but I didn't see any, nor do I believe that I would have missed them. I guess I'm screwed on this. They give me $100 in court costs, and a $25.00 fine. Anyone know what the point value this would be against me? I would greatly appreciate someones input (whether it be telling me I'm screwed or whatnot.) The car was a drab color, matching the hue sky, etc. Well, thanks.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Pics of impact, if it helps.

rs1.gif

rs2.gif

Lawman85

Banned
That's a tough one. Glad to see you weren't hurt. Not too much you can do about it to prove it was her faulty, unless you can say 100% she did not have her headlight on. Looks like you got lucky with the damage and it only hit your bumper!!

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Thanks for the reply and the care. Yes, I am extremely lucky I got hit where I did. It also brings up the question in my mind that I was almost accross the intersection when it happened, and the road I was crossing is a wide lane road, let alone with a turn lane, so why not move over? I swear I have no idea where the car came from, thinking I was hit was the furthest thing from my mind until I seen the other car. Oh well, s**t happens. :whine:

Users who are viewing this thread