Nebraska Deputy arrested for DUI

ericsnow25

Established Member
Gage County deputy arrested for DUI

BEATRICE -- A Gage County sheriff's deputy was arrested early Saturday for driving under the influence of alcohol.

According to court documents, Deputy John Patsch was stopped in the 900 block of North Sixth Street in Beatrice at 1:35 a.m. Saturday for driving 42 mph in a 35 mph zone.

Patsch told the officer he was returning home from Pickrell and had consumed four or five beers.

The officer said Patsch's eyes were bloodshot and detected an odor of alcohol, documents said. Patsch complied to a preliminary breath test, and his blood-alcohol level registered at .082 percent. The legal limit is .08.

He was then taken to Beatrice Community Hospital and Health Center for a blood test before being booked and lodged at the Gage County Detention Center.

Sheriff Gus Gustafson said results from the subsequent blood test could show Patsch actually was under the legal limit. Regardless, Gustafson said, Patsch will face departmental discipline.

Patsch has bonded out of jail and Gustafson said he's been placed on administrative re-assignment.

Patsch was hired by Gage County in April. He has worked in law enforcement for 11 years, mostly with the Crete Police Department.

Read more: Gage County deputy arrested for DUI

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
edited for a logical explanation...

Last edited:

ericsnow25

Established Member
I was more so asking if anyone else has heard of this happening before. Pretty ballsy of the arresting officer to go through with it...

Not trying to offend any LEOs.

I live 30 minutes from where this happened so it was in my local news.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I was more so asking if anyone else has heard of this happening before. Pretty ballsy of the arresting officer to go through with it...

Not trying to offend any LEOs.

I live 30 minutes from where this happened so it was in my local news.

I don't think professional courtesy has a place when it comes to DUI's. He knew damn well he was close to his limit. Why jeopardize your career for a couple of drinks? He deserves what he gets.

I edited my original post as to not bring the flame war.

Last edited:

ericsnow25

Established Member
I don't think professional courtesy has a place when it comes to DUI's. He knew damn well he was close to his limit. Why jeopardize your career for a couple of drinks? He deserves what he gets.

I agree, but I gaurantee the blood results show well under .08, he'll probably just get a bad rep.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I agree, but I gaurantee the blood results show well under .08, he'll probably just get a bad rep.

I wouldn't be so sure. A blood test is always more accurate than a breath test. They are measured differently obviously. The blood test always shows a higher level of alcohol intoxication, keeping in mind that higher number is the more accurate one.

He has to be sweating bullets right now.

ericsnow25

Established Member
I wouldn't be so sure. A blood test is always more accurate than a breath test. They are measured differently obviously. The blood test always shows a higher level of alcohol intoxication, keeping in mind that higher number is the more accurate one.

He has to be sweating bullets right now.

Right, but as you know, time is a huge factor. Plus, I'm willing to bet the AO was willing to slow things down for a little break. Most likely knew him and wanted to give him a bad name. I don't personally know either of said LEOs, or possibly LEO and ex-LEO.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Right, but as you know, time is a huge factor. Plus, I'm willing to bet the AO was willing to slow things down for a little break. Most likely knew him and wanted to give him a bad name. I don't personally know either of said LEOs, or possibly LEO and ex-LEO.

The officer has a set time he has to get him tested, anything after may be inadmissible. If he was willing to take him in I bet he wouldn't have dogged it. Knowing the shitstorm this was going to create, better not look like a dick and screw it up.

I'm willing to bet based on the time of stop and amount of self admitted drinks he was probably still going up. He probably had one or two more than he stated also.

VtekII

Established Member
wow, never heard about this... but here in small town nebraska most people let thing like that slide... especially to other cops. is it right/wrong... well everybody has their opinions, but theyre will probly be a little drama towards both of these officers.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
He was .002 over the legal limit. Pointless arrest and a waste of tax dollars, especially since he was under when he got the "real" test.

drepka

Established Member
I guess maybe its different everywhere but we dont have a set time to get the test done...retrograde extrapulation is used by professionals in court to determine...and i have to say that I have seen blood tests come back lower atleast half the time...depends on when his last drink was and if he was on the rise or decreasing. AT any rate he should have just got a ride...sucks for both of em. not only that but i assume he used a pbt for the prelim and we know those are hit or miss depending on how old the technology is.

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
He was .002 over the legal limit. Pointless arrest and a waste of tax dollars, especially since he was under when he got the "real" test.

Maybe I missed it but I don't think the blood results were reported. :shrug:

And if he would have wrecked and killed someone how would you have felt about that?

Check into the cost of fatal accidents.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I guess maybe its different everywhere but we dont have a set time to get the test done...retrograde extrapulation is used by professionals in court to determine...and i have to say that I have seen blood tests come back lower atleast half the time...depends on when his last drink was and if he was on the rise or decreasing. AT any rate he should have just got a ride...sucks for both of em. not only that but i assume he used a pbt for the prelim and we know those are hit or miss depending on how old the technology is.

We have two hours from the time of violation to have a test. If we exceed that time it just goes in as a refusal.

drepka

Established Member
We have two hours from the time of violation to have a test. If we exceed that time it just goes in as a refusal.

In all honesty that would be a way better system than we have....countless ,needless hours are spent in the courtroom on this issue of how long it takes to get tests done here...ive seen em done 4 hours or longer in some cases.....it would be nice to have the two hour max...it would solve alot of bs and save a TON of money.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member

He may have only been .002 OVER at the time of the stop. And everybody is ONLY looking at the possibility of the BAC going down. As an LEO, and all LEO's have seen, the BAC can also still be on the rise. Who is to say his last drink wasn't 10 minutes prior to the stop and the BAC hadn't gotten to it's peak yet? What if the blood comes back and it's way in excess of the .08? Is it a "pointless arrest and waste of tax dollars" then?

And IMO, ANY SWORN LEO should no better than to drink ANY amount of alcohol and get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle of any sort. My kudos to the officer for doing his job without bias or prejudice.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
What, four or five beers? You mean to tell me is wasn't the famous "two beers." lol
We also have two hours from the time of arrest to get a specimen test. PBT's are inadmissible.
But, if he was telling the truth on how much he drank. I say he will be under.
I agree he probably comsumed more than he said and I also agree the blood test will be right on.
I say he is in big do-do!

Users who are viewing this thread