-Can tow AT LEAST 3000lbs
-Must be $6000 or less
-Carry 4 people
-4x4
-Automatic
-Doesn't have to be great on gas but double digits would be nice
-Would prefer something luxury with a nice ride/seats
-Reliability would be cool

Overall I need a nice DD that I can use to tow a Lotus 7 I am building for the track. I was looking at Volvo, Range Rover, Lincoln, etc.

Help me out.

Last edited:

cobra_matt

Established Member
In that price range, I would reccomend a 96-97 F250/350 with the 7.3L diesel. The crew cab can fit 4 grown men comfortably, gets decent mileage, and can tow a lot more than 3000 pounds. Being a diesel, they'll last 300K if you treat them right. I'm not sure how many Lincolns, Volvos, or Range Rovers you'll find for 6 grand.

4703281259_fd7e0459b7.jpg

Canadian_Bacon

Armchair Athlete
Established Member
In that price range, I would reccomend a 96-97 F250/350 with the 7.3L diesel. The crew cab can fit 4 grown men comfortably, gets decent mileage, and can tow a lot more than 3000 pounds. Being a diesel, they'll last 300K if you treat them right. I'm not sure how many Lincolns, Volvos, or Range Rovers you'll find for 6 grand.

This is true the 7.3L Is deffinatly the best Diesel Ford has ever made (I haven't tried the 6.7L yet)!

JasonSnake

Established Member
You could find a mid-to-late 90's Suburban. Many came in 4x4 and there are some out there with diesel.

This is a K2500
GMT400_K2500_Diesel_Suburban.jpg

tj04cobra

Established Member
This is true the 7.3L Is deffinatly the best Diesel Ford has ever made (I haven't tried the 6.7L yet)!

I won't derail the thread arguing what is the best Power Stroke on the road but an OBS (94-97) 7.3 would be good. For 6k you can find the right one in decent shape but it will probably have over 200k on it. The motor would still be healthy but if it's never had very much work done to it you will have to start worrying about cold start issues because of worn out glow plugs and injectors come winter season. Oil seepage/leaks would become a pita in your driveway or apt complex. On top of that you will have to start dumping money into worn out suspension components on a 13-14 year old truck that's most likely been worked it's whole life. If you got the skills and tools to turn the wrenches on it yourself it wouldn't be too expensive to upkeep.

Edit: deals on 99-02 7.3 f250's are out there as well. My buddy at work picked up a 02 crew cab xlt 7.3 diesel in your price range 3 months ago. It runs like a wet dream for having 280k on it and the body and paint are in excellent shape(they last forever in the right hands and if taken care of perfectly). Another guy I know bought a 01 ext cab 7.3 for 5k two weeks ago with 310k miles on it but it was taken damn good care of and runs very well. The newer ones will ride smoother, look better and you can eventually upgrade the front end to a 05-07.

Last edited:

THE_STIG

Established Member
That K2500 Diesel has my interest, its pretty much a Hummer H1 with a different body on it.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I won't derail the thread arguing what is the best Power Stroke on the road but an OBS (94-97) 7.3 would be good. For 6k you can find the right one in decent shape but it will probably have over 200k on it. The motor would still be healthy but if it's never had very much work done to it you will have to start worrying about cold start issues because of worn out glow plugs and injectors come winter season. Oil seepage/leaks would become a pita in your driveway or apt complex. On top of that you will have to start dumping money into worn out suspension components on a 13-14 year old truck that's most likely been worked it's whole life. If you got the skills and tools to turn the wrenches on it yourself it wouldn't be too expensive to upkeep.

Edit: deals on 99-02 7.3 f250's are out there as well. My buddy at work picked up a 02 crew cab xlt 7.3 diesel in your price range 3 months ago. It runs like a wet dream for having 280k on it and the body and paint are in excellent shape(they last forever in the right hands and if taken care of perfectly). Another guy I know bought a 01 ext cab 7.3 for 5k two weeks ago with 310k miles on it but it was taken damn good care of and runs very well. The newer ones will ride smoother, look better and you can eventually upgrade the front end to a 05-07.

I myself would love to find one in that range. Around here P'ups are like gold especially with diesel motors. I have seen some of them 10 - 15 years old still going for 15 - 20k or so. I know of a 02 Dodge Ram 4x4 Club cab just sold for $15k or more. It sucks around here because a person cannot get a good deal on a used truck.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Dude, it's a Lotus Seven, not a land yacht. Get an Explorer and be done with it. That car with an open trailer, an extra set of tires, and some other spares will be no more than 3800 pounds.

THE_STIG

Established Member
Dude, it's a Lotus Seven, not a land yacht. Get an Explorer and be done with it. That car with an open trailer, an extra set of tires, and some other spares will be no more than 3800 pounds.

:lol: Maybe I want the ability to tow a land yacht....

tj04cobra

Established Member
I myself would love to find one in that range. Around here P'ups are like gold especially with diesel motors. I have seen some of them 10 - 15 years old still going for 15 - 20k or so. I know of a 02 Dodge Ram 4x4 Club cab just sold for $15k or more. It sucks around here because a person cannot get a good deal on a used truck.

That suck man. The market is flooded with used diesel trucks down here. 03-07 6.0 PSD's are starting to pop up everywhere very cheap. They are starting to go out of warranty and people don't want to shell out the high costs to fix them when they break. So they sell em' cheap to get out of em' or dirt cheap if something minor like a egr cooler is blown or whatever. If you look hard enough down here you will find a steal on something nice even if it needs a little work.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
:lol: Maybe I want the ability to tow a land yacht....

Then bend over and be ready to be ****ed by gas prices. A 4.6 Exploder is decent on gas (compared to other options), and fits every single one of your requirements (will tow up to 6500 or 7000 pounds). Stay far away from Land Rovers and any other European brand, because anything European in that range will kill you in maintenance from lack of upkeep.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Then bend over and be ready to be ****ed by gas prices. A 4.6 Exploder is decent on gas (compared to other options), and fits every single one of your requirements (will tow up to 6500 or 7000 pounds). Stay far away from Land Rovers and any other European brand, because anything European in that range will kill you in maintenance from lack of upkeep.

If going Explorer (which I happen to have), I would recommend getting one with the 5.0 HO engine in it, as it has quite a bit more power than the 4.6 version. There is also a plethora of performance bolt-ons for it too, since it is essentially the same as the Mustang version, but with better heads, and intake already.;-)

THE_STIG

Established Member
I like the diesel f250/f350 but they still hold their value around here, most go for around $10k. The diesel suburban is within my price range though, how are they with high miles though? Most I find are 100k+. How are Ford Broncos with high miles as well?

tj04cobra

Established Member
I like the diesel f250/f350 but they still hold their value around here, most go for around $10k. The diesel suburban is within my price range though, how are they with high miles though? Most I find are 100k+. How are Ford Broncos with high miles as well?

Can't say much about the diesel burban (as far as those specific year models you only see a fraction of chevy diesels on the road compared to ford) but a Bronco comes with a 5.8 or 5.0 and they usually last a good while. I love Broncos, but I so wish they offered the 7.3 in those. There are a ton of conversions out there that are pretty sweet.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldnt wanna tow much with a bronco, but they can be had for 3-5k i'd bet.

I think the crewcab diesel is a good choice. Plenty of vehicles fit the bill for what you want, just look on craigslist and local classifieds till you see something you like.

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
If going Explorer (which I happen to have), I would recommend getting one with the 5.0 HO engine in it, as it has quite a bit more power than the 4.6 version. There is also a plethora of performance bolt-ons for it too, since it is essentially the same as the Mustang version, but with better heads, and intake already.;-)

How would one do pulling an open car trailer with a 3000-3600 pound car on it on the interstate for 300-500 miles at a time? Ever towed with yours? MPG?

THE_STIG

Established Member
I wouldnt wanna tow much with a bronco, but they can be had for 3-5k i'd bet.

I think the crewcab diesel is a good choice. Plenty of vehicles fit the bill for what you want, just look on craigslist and local classifieds till you see something you like.

Why would you not want to tow much with a Bronco?

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I had a 05 Trailblazer.. Very comfortable, rode real nice, and was able to tow up to 6K lbs. You could find a used 03ish one with 80K miles for around 6-7K. Thats only if you want a comfortable ride while towing.. If you would rather have something with a little more balls and less comfort (in regards to ride and luxury), get a 90's silverado or 90's f150/f250.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread