Need a new beater

jonas

Established Member
I need a dependable car and dont want to spend more than 15k out the door (13k ish sticker)

What can I get new that is dependable. also thinking about a small pickup that I can possibly use in the future to tow my cobra.

Lawman

Established Member
My beater is a 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis. I rebuilt the 5.0 liter, and the tranny. I put one flowmaster muffler on it, and it is perfect. The car was given to me by a good friend. Its really funny when I pass up Mustangs and Cobras on the interstate. They all have this WTF look on their faces!:-D

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by Lawman
My beater is a 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis. I rebuilt the 5.0 liter, and the tranny. I put one flowmaster muffler on it, and it is perfect. The car was given to me by a good friend. Its really funny when I pass up Mustangs and Cobras on the interstate. They all have this WTF look on their faces!:-D

Excellent choice...( see sig )
86-91 big fords and mercs had the double roller timing chain, roller hydraulic cam, sefi injection and lots of low end, aod trans is strong, engines live and live....
mines got 184,000 and never been rebuilt....
92 through current vics and grand marquis are pretty bullet proof also ( and comfy)
98 and up has the watts link rear and handle really well for a large car.
2001 and up have the power improved heads( that mustangs got in 99)
for the money stated I would try to pick up a 2001 used... pull the oil cap make sure it's not sludged.... if it's clean and the trans fluid doesn't smell burnt... drive it (with the radio OFF) and do some listening...
I bought mine used in 95 for $5200.00 ...
that is now a 15 year old car and I'm driving it every day.... that is a good return on a dollar IMHO
Good luck :thumbsup:
Jimmy

Users who are viewing this thread