Need a new rear axle for 2010 GT500

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
Car has been making a whining noise for months and my dad finally took it in. Mechanic said the rear end is filled with shavings and he needs a new rear axle. What would be the best route to take to get the car back on the road?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
can you be more specific?

an entire axle assembly? dff/housing/r&p/axles... etc

sounds like a new diff/r&p is probably what is needed.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I was going to link a complete axle assembly from the FRPP catalog but the catalog no longer allows me to. I have an inquiry in with Mike at Buyfordracing to see if those assemblies are no longer carried.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I had a lengthy conversation with Mike at Buyfordracing a couple of hours ago and mentioned this thread. As I had feared, Ford Racing/FRPP has dumped the S197 complete axle assemblies. Mike mentioned that Sterling had (obviously) changed over for the S550 and that no effort was made to stockpile some completed assemblies. The Ford Racing of old would have been advertising the assemblies with "while supplies last" and possibly raised the price. Not in this case.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I had a lengthy conversation with Mike at Buyfordracing a couple of hours ago and mentioned this thread. As I had feared, Ford Racing/FRPP has dumped the S197 complete axle assemblies. Mike mentioned that Sterling had (obviously) changed over for the S550 and that no effort was made to stockpile some completed assemblies. The Ford Racing of old would have been advertising the assemblies with "while supplies last" and possibly raised the price. Not in this case.

Ford Racing has done that a lot lately. Quick to get rid of the old and on to the new stuff. I remember when you could get wheels and other parts for Lightnings. It's almost like those trucks never existed.

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
Sorry he needed a whole axle assembly. I'm not sure how bad it got inside or what failed but I'll try to get pictures. The car has 140k miles. Been a daily since 2009. I think he bought a 2009 unit off eBay with 13k miles. He saw a few places were out of order and discontinued. Shelby direct had one for 1500 but like mentioned in this thread, it's no longer carried.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
As I had feared, Ford Racing/FRPP has dumped the S197 complete axle assemblies.

Darnit, I should have picked up a complete FRPP 3.55 axle assembly when I had the chance! After another trip to the strip last weekend, my stocker is whining even more.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Damn, mine is whining too a little. I got 16K on mine now and Im going to fill with amsoil severe gear on saturday.... You guys got me all spooked at what Im going to find when I pop the diff cover off

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Darnit, I should have picked up a complete FRPP 3.55 axle assembly when I had the chance! After another trip to the strip last weekend, my stocker is whining even more.

I'm pretty sure if you dig deep enough you can find a crate assembly that somebody is sitting on.

Come to think of it, FRPP now has a unique opportunity with the spigot turned off. The business case is there for the assembly they never offered (instead of an all out 9"):

- a '15 iron center section and gears that accepts S197 style axle tubes (fully welded, of course)

- 9" ends (to allow eliminating c-clip style axles)

- brackets that allow retention of the factory calipers

- "better" axles that also allow ABS

- more than just a Torsen diff option

stutter

eat me
Established Member
I'm asking $1500 for the whole unit out of my 14'. Has strange axles with screw in stock size studs, 373 gear, welded tubes, and Tru Trac, and BMR LCA mount. Don't need it as I went drag set up. Read the ad, it has about 100 miles on the axles and diff when I took the assembly out.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Sorry he needed a whole axle assembly. I'm not sure how bad it got inside or what failed but I'll try to get pictures. The car has 140k miles. Been a daily since 2009. I think he bought a 2009 unit off eBay with 13k miles. He saw a few places were out of order and discontinued. Shelby direct had one for 1500 but like mentioned in this thread, it's no longer carried.

Why on earth does he need an whole axle assembly?? Axles don't just "go bad." :??:

fullboogie

Established Member
Why not get one from newtakeoff.com? Or even a junkyard? There's millions of them out there.

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
Why on earth does he need an whole axle assembly?? Axles don't just "go bad." :??:
I think for the cost of rebuilding the one he has he was looking into just buying a whole assembly new.

He bought one out of a 09 off eBay for 1050 shipped with 13k miles with a 3:31 rear gear. We are keeping the 3:55 and may have it rebuilt down the road. He drove the car home the other day, drained the fluid and sealed it back up with fresh fluid. He's not driving it anymore, it's just whining really bad. I'll see if I can get pictures of the old one when it's being pulled at the shop.

Users who are viewing this thread