Need a new starter..

SCalla1384

Established Member
Doing headers on my car, I took the starter off, laid it on my chest and it decided to roll back, hit my face then hit the ground lol. It broke the ground strap.

The starter i have has a "cone" over the teeth. So I went to autozone, they bring out 2 different ones. They both are much bigger, and don't have a cone over the teeth.

I looked on Tasca parts, same thing. For a 2014 it shows the starter with no cone. It doesn't even look like the teeth stick out far enough to catch the flywheel.

The starter I have looks just like this one

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-...icFitmentV1&year=2014&T5_Var3=blue&GID=101633

I'm just trying not to spend $250 lol. Any ideas? I'm confused

F.D.Sako

Established Member
Back when i was looking for a starter, RockAuto.com had the most resonable prices. Go with the Motorcraft starter, it should match your OEM one.

Last edited:

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Rockauto. the cheapest I found for the frpp high tq one was 194 and that was tasca. Ive had good luck with starters from Napa. that's also a thought.

SCalla1384

Established Member
It looks like starters for 96-14 are the same? I'll just grab a 2v starter and swap the solenoid over I guess. Seems to be the easiest way.

But yeah, autozone and advanced kept bringing out starters that looked like they were for the GT500s. Strange

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
oh whatever you do don't get one from advance. ive had terrible luck with them. They kept on having heat soak.

SCalla1384

Established Member
This is what kept coming up at autozond/advance (looks wise anyways)

http://www.americanmuscle.com/starter-0509-46.html

See how there's no cone? The teeth don't stick out as far, and in person it's quite a bit bigger than my oem unit. Just seemed weird, I could not find a starter at all that would fit.

I'm just going to try to buy a solenoid or worst case buy one for a 2v and use that solenoid, since those starters are cheaper.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Can't you just fix the ground strap on the oem starter?

That's what I was going to do, I just don't feel great about it. The plastic broke, I was going to epoxy it. I know they make high temp stuff, just get nervous of it wearing away after time with the headers being right there.

5lho

Established Member
JB weld man, not the quick setting stuff. It'll last forever. You could put a little header wrap or formable heat barrier over it if worried. anything that'll cook that will cook the starter itself, I'd say.

Last edited:

The Beast 2014

Established Member
My 2011 came with the cone-less style you posted here:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/starter-0509-46.html

I haven't energized mine without it being installed, but I suspect that the gear section protrudes during start-up activities to engage the flexplate/flywheel better and recedes after.

I thought this was how all starters worked. When the solenoid is engaged the starter protrudes and catches on the flywheel and then retracts when the solenoid is closed.

5lho

Established Member
It is. The thing you are energizing is the Bendix drive that moves the starter gear into a position to mesh with the flywheel teeth. Remove current and a spring drives the gear back out of the way.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I understand how the starter works, from the one they showed me at autozone and advanve, the unit was quite a bit bigger than what I pulled out of my car. It didn't look the same at all.

I just grabbed a starter for an 03 GT. I'll just swap the solenoid and call it. Thanks guys!

F.D.Sako

Established Member
I tried swapping solenoids on my OEM starter with a solenoid that American muscle sells, and it didn't work. I too came to the conclusion that 03-14 V8s used the same starters, based on aftermarket starter part numbers. But the solenoid prongs that retract were different length, so the gears wouldn't mesh properly.

So, if your starter is the original motorcraft/ford starter, then a solenoid swap may not work.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I tried swapping solenoids on my OEM starter with a solenoid that American muscle sells, and it didn't work. I too came to the conclusion that 03-14 V8s used the same starters, based on aftermarket starter part numbers. But the solenoid prongs that retract were different length, so the gears wouldn't mesh properly.

So, if your starter is the original motorcraft/ford starter, then a solenoid swap may not work.

Yup you're right. Jesus what a ****ing nightmare. I couldn't get that solenoid to go on my oem starter. Then the starter I bought at advance wouldn't fit with the 7/8 headers lol. So I just bought the $250 starter from American muscle.

I really could of reused mine if I really wanted too. I was just nervous of the ground strap coming loose or something and not being able to start the car if I wasn't home.

5lho

Established Member
Reminds me of the old days with our GM cars, the connections between the starter solenoid and the starter would get weak because it was right next to the exhaust, so, we'd bridge it with the "Chevy wrench" (tire iron) to fire up the car, lol

Users who are viewing this thread