Need a scan tool that will read Mode $06 data - Getting misfire but not throwing code

Bootbox

Established Member
EDIT: http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS and Torque Pro app for Android from the Google play store to see all your mode 6 data, see my post below from 11/23 for more detail

I'm pretty sure I've got a bad coil or plug (breaking up under heavy throttle, but not throwing a code) and I'd like to know which one is bad so I don't have to replace all 8 ($$$)

I've got a Waekon COP testing wand but it's not working this time.

I know Ford can scan the raw OBDII data stream under enhanced mode 6 data, sub-section $053 - misfire count. It shows misfires for each cylinder. I'd rather buy my own scanner that can do this than pay Ford each time I get a coil acting up.

Two of my friends have scan tools, an Innova 3130 and a Launch CRP123, neither one show mode 6 data for my truck (they only show modes 1, 3, and 10).

Anyone know of a scan tool that will do what I need?

Tried so far this week: New fuel filter, cleaned MAF, replaced IAC valve, replaced passenger and driver side PCV components including rear lower super hard to reach vacuum line - with new OEM parts.

Mod list: 4lb lower, NGK TR6 at .038, K&N FIPK intake, and some valve body everyone used to buy that I forget the name of :lol1:

Last edited:

Bootbox

Established Member
It idles perfectly, only cuts out when I get on it and it's under heavy load.

Blainer

SVT Poster
Established Member
Birthplace of Speed, Ormond Beach, Florida
I'd just change the spark plugs... when is the last time you did?

There is always the $$ issue...

To bad you didnt have a known good coil to swap each until you found it... or a known good friend with a known good coil...

Last edited:

Bootbox

Established Member
I would normally just replace all the plugs and coils but I've just done all of them in the last 8 months or so and it's kind of expensive to do over and over like that.

I wound up buying this - http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS - and the Torque Pro app from the Google Play store for my Android phone.

After pairing the scan tool with my phone over Bluetooth, I started the truck and let it run for a few minutes then clicked 'Test Results' in the Torque Pro app.

The individual cylinder misfire info on our trucks will show up in Test Results under TID $53. I had 2500 misfires on my #7 cylinder. Put a new NGK TR6 and a new Motorcraft coil in there today and it runs perfectly now.

$30 total to be able to see the sort of info you can usually only get from a trip to the dealer or by using a $$$$ scan tool (Snap-On, etc). :thumbsup:

Blainer

SVT Poster
Established Member
Birthplace of Speed, Ormond Beach, Florida
Dang, checked out the BAFX on Amazon... I am ordering one also! I just sold my Predator and not getting a SCT till March! I have problems also! Stemming from my O2 extension melting on my header. Thought ECM was bad for reading 0 volts and an open-ohms with ECM connected. But the upper plug on the extension was not connected all the way. Glad there was no ECMs to buy. Now trying to figure it out also. Barely starts and runs like crap. Trying to think if I have or have not done something. I had just changed spark plugs. Ran good before... was looking at vacuum lines and the only thing I havent checked is the one behind the SC at the lintake manifold. But after I started it I disconnected it at the "T" and cycled sticking my finger over it and it changed how it ran - worse without finger... so I think that is good. Checked voltages and fuses to ECM and elsewhere. ???

Users who are viewing this thread