Need advice, an h-pipe or an x-pipe?

1993 Mustang

Established Member
I am wondering which o/r pipe should I used, a regular h-pipe or an x- pipe for a 2.5 exhaust? I have Ford Racing shorties and Flowmasters.

buddha93

Established Member
I'm on my first x-pipe and I must say I love the way my car sounds. Definitely different than the old standby (h-pipe).

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
H-pipe seems to sound best with a chambered muffler.. i.e. Flowmaster

X-pipe sounds best with a straight through muffler..i.e. Bassani, Magnaflow, Dynomax

I have always heard that they also perform the best when used that way too. I would guess because of their different scavenging effects... X vs H

I can tell you that a X-pipe makes the exhaust sound alot more "raspy"

runin1320

sTaNGs OwNs JoO!
Established Member
H-pipe seems to sound best with a chambered muffler.. i.e. Flowmaster

X-pipe sounds best with a straight through muffler..i.e. Bassani, Magnaflow, Dynomax

I have always heard that they also perform the best when used that way too. I would guess because of their different scavenging effects... X vs H

I can tell you that a X-pipe makes the exhaust sound alot more "raspy"

I agree 100%...I have a Bassani O/R X-Pipe and wish that I would have gotten another H-pipe. The x and the flows just have a weird sound....:dw:

runin1320

sTaNGs OwNs JoO!
Established Member
I have the same set up and think it sounds great. :shrug:

I also have BBK Equal length shorties...what headers are you running? I think that is a little too raspy at mid throttle. WOT sounds good in the upper RPM's. Maybe I need to hear it outside my car???

:beer:

blownfox

Established Member
I also have BBK Equal length shorties...what headers are you running? I think that is a little too raspy at mid throttle. WOT sounds good in the upper RPM's. Maybe I need to hear it outside my car???

:beer:

Before I switch my CB that was the same exhaust I had. It was ok but not the greatest. I'm just not a fan of flows.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
I have BBK equal length shorties, DR Gas X into flows and it sounds nasty! I too am a fan of the H Pipe but the Dr. Gas X makes the awesome high pitch tuned sound above 4k, very cool. Plus I put 265 / 301 with just bolt ons so I think it works!

Users who are viewing this thread