NEED Advice ASAP!!!!! Warranty Stuff

v8killr4u

Established Member
Ok I just bought my Cobra almost a month ago, it had 9k on it. Its got about 12k now. Anyways I think my TOB just went out. Real bad squealing and chirp sound. Clutch pedal was feelin real funny too. Ok sO i took it into a FORD dealer ship to see if i could get away with getting it replaced. Guy just called me and said because of the after market clutch that if they look and see that the TOB or Pilot bearing, the factory oem stuff isnt the problem then it would cost me about 1000 to replace the stuff and labor. My question to you all is can the SPec 3 clutch cause the TOB or Pilot bearing to wear out? I didnt think so. So basically they will replace it but as long as they say its not caused by the performance clutch. what do you guys think. It'll either cost me a g or it'll be replaced for free. Advice please the dealer ship is waiting on my response. :eek:

v8killr4u

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
get your $1k ready, you're going to need it.

Being that the Spec 3 clutch sucks azz, should i just go ahead and get the centerforce and have them put that in and replace the TOB and pilot bearing or just take it to my local performace shop?

v8killr4u

Established Member
Is the TOB and pilot bearing hard to replace or is it somthing that can be easily done replacing the clutch? :rollseyes

v8killr4u

Established Member
I guess my question is can my Clutch cause the TOB bearing or Sleeve to go bad or is this just an FKEd up OEm part that everyone replaces in some time. :shrug:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
A bad TOB can cause premature wear of the clutch! Depends on how long you've noticed it and didn't address the problem. That happened to me and I ended up getting a new tranny out the deal....(luckily)! I had to replace the clutch, flywheel etc.! You may have to come out of pocket on this one. The clutch is only warrantied to 12months or 12k miles...Whichever comes first.

Last edited:

v8killr4u

Established Member
well the deal er has already stated they would do the work free of charge only if the after market clutch had nothing to do with it and from what i read on the thread posted by TOPFUEL, the after market clutch isnt causing my problem, a jacked poorly design part is that should be replaced.

FINAL thoughts before I call the dealer ad tell them to do what they gotta due and its not the clutch? :shrug:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I agree, the aftermarket clutch had nothing to do with it...

you need to throw this TSB in their face and get them to acknowledge that the problem exists with stock clutches

TSB # 04-13-4

BTW, is your car black?

edit: I see now that the thread link was posted earlier by Top Fuel...ooops :)

Last edited:

v8killr4u

Established Member
Yup its a block 03, i see your in MI. We may have crossed paths, im in the Roch hills area. Drop me a line.
JB said:
I agree, the aftermarket clutch had nothing to do with it...

you need to throw this TSB in their face and get them to acknowledge that the problem exists with stock clutches

TSB # 04-13-4

BTW, is your car black?

edit: I see now that the thread link was posted earlier by Top Fuel...ooops :)

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
03snake said:
Technical Service Bullitin, I think........

yes, that's it and I would think that it would override their concerns about your clutch causing the problem

it is a documented issue that describes a part defect and calls for replacement with an updated assembly....but they might throw that SPEC in your face till you give up and fork over the money :shrug:

is it on their lift? can you try another dealer if this one is adamant?

v8killr4u

Established Member
JB said:
yes, that's it and I would think that it would override their concerns about your clutch causing the problem

it is a documented issue that describes a part defect and calls for replacement with an updated assembly....but they might throw that SPEC in your face till you give up and fork over the money :shrug:

is it on their lift? can you try another dealer if this one is adamant?

Yup its on their lift and their paying for the rental car too. The dealer has been pretty good thus far. I told em to go ahead and fix it cuz i knew the clutch wasnt the cause for the bad TOB. They said if it was then i would have to pay. So i think itll be ok. ill let you guys kno monday though. I did tell them about the TSB and even gave them the part number for the replacement so they know i know they cant pull one over on me with some tech jargon BS. :pepper:

v8killr4u

Established Member
Well the dealer has been pretty good to me thus far. They noticed the Spec III clutch and noted that i would have to pay for the replacement of the TOB if the after market clutch was the cause. I gave them the TSB and they acknowledged that may as well be the problem. So so far so good. They said they wouldnt replace the clutch obviously for premature wear from the TOB and are cool with throwing in a new clutch and pressure plate I just ordered. So everything is working out fine thus far. But we'll see what happens in the end! I couldnt ask for more right now though. The Dealer has been very good to deal with. :poke:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
alright, glad to hear that! :thumbsup:

I was 99% sure that I knew who you bought the car from and I confirmed it last week....you got a VERY well-maintained vehicle and I'm sure you will be happy with your purchase

If they turn out to be a stand-up dealer, I (and the MCT) would appreciate it if you would PM me their name so we can add them to the "good guys" list

hope to see you join our club!

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
JB said:
alright, glad to hear that! :thumbsup:

I was 99% sure that I knew who you bought the car from and I confirmed it last week....you got a VERY well-maintained vehicle and I'm sure you will be happy with your purchase

If they turn out to be a stand-up dealer, I (and the MCT) would appreciate it if you would PM me their name so we can add them to the "good guys" list

hope to see you join our club!

JB, where can we find a list you have compiled of the good guys? Heck this is the best info yet.

Users who are viewing this thread