Need Advice. Car is Back at Ford and They Are Screwing Around.

vipergts281

Established Member
Please bear with me here as this is long.........

Some of you know that my car left me stranded last Thursday while I was going to work. See this thread for those details........

Click Here

It has been at Ford since about 1 pm on last Thursday, February 3rd. Ford did not call me until Monday, the 7th. When they called, the service advisor said a mechanic just took it around the parking lot and they think it is a clutch problem. I was suprised they could even get it in gear. Anyway, he needed me to give them a go ahead to pull the tranny to see what is exactly wrong. I gave them the go ahead to do so on Monday, Feb 7th at about 4 pm. I asked if it was something they were going to start today, and he said no since it was late in the day. I said that was fine, I understand. I told him to call me when they found out what was wrong. Again, that was on Monday, 7th. Tuesday rolls around and I never hear from Ford. Ok, not that big of a deal. But now we get to today, the 9th and I still haven't heard from them. So I called around noon to see what update I could get. The service advisor was on lunch. So I call back later around 2:45. This time, I can't get ahold of him again. At this point I'm starting to get irritated. So I take my mom's Explorer up there to ask them in person. Here is how that went.......

Me: Do you have an update on my Cobra?
Ford: No, I don't have a lift open.
Me: So you didn't even pull the tranny yet?
Ford: We can't, there is no lift open.
Me: You have had my car almost one week and you didn't even pull the tranny yet?
Ford: There is no lift and my tranny guy is busy with about 4 other jobs.
Ford: Let me go talk to him.
Ford: He has one more job and he will probably pull it tomorrow.
Me: Tomorrow? Well call me when you find something out.

Then I walked out.

Also, I have been without any car for this whole time. I am out of warranty, but this problem happened before when I was in warranty. But until it can proved that it is related to the same problem, I can't have a rental. Which is understandable, but it has been almost a week. I have places to go and this is a huge inconvenience. I am not going to be a happy camper if it is indeed related and I was entitled to a rental the whole time. The only good thing that would come of that of course would be that Ford will fix the car under warranty.

Besides this problem, my car has been at Ford for a list of other warranty related repairs...............Keep in mind the car was purchased August 28, 2003...........

11/03/03-- Replace broken halfshaft
11/03/03-- Retorque IRS bolts because of popping noise in rear of car
5,637 miles on the car at this time

11/05/03-- Radio not working properly
11/05/03-- Seat back cushion needs replacement
11/05/03-- Vibration above 65 mph

11/28/03-- Car is taking in for clunking noise in rear
7,745 Miles on car at this time

2/20/04-- Fog light was replaced due to condensation buildup
2/20/04-- TOB, clutch disc and pressure plate are all replaced
2/20/04-- Diff. bolts were retorqued because diff. cover was leaking
2/20/04-- Abnormal engine noise- Nothing was done at that time because dealer couldn't hear the noise
14,485 Miles on the car

3/11/04-- Transmission was replaced
3/11/04-- Steering rack bolts were retorqued
16,229 Miles on car

7/21/04-- Car taken in for creaking noise in front- Dealer could not duplicate
7/21/04-- Computer was reflashed because of the stall issue....Almost crashed the car twice because of the stall
7/21/04-- Clicking noise in rear of car- Dealer did nothing to fix this
27,495 Miles on car

9/30/04-- Car taken in because car randomly stalled at traffic light and the tranny area had clunking noises. This is what the current problem is. Car was never fixed at that time because they said they couldn't hear the noise. But when I picked the car up at the dealer, it was making the noise right there in their parking lot. I went back in and said something but all of the service people left for the day. Went back the next day and had a mechainc sit in my car and he acknowledged something was wrong.
9/30/04-- Rear diff. leaking. Removed diff. and resealed
9/30/04-- Supercharger was leaking. Bolts were retorqued (SC still leaks to this day)
34,724 Miles on car

10/21/04-- Car is taken back in for the same tranny problem as described above. They replaced the transmission adapter cover plate
10/21/04-- TOB is replaced for the second time.

I also had my driveshaft replaced. But for some reason I either missed it on my papers or I do not have that paper.

Take into account all of the time I missed from work when I had to drop my car off and get my rental. At the time, I was getting paid by the hour, so I lost some money. Not to mention while my car was at Ford, I wasn't able to drive it, obviously. But yet, I still had to pay 100% of my car payment that month even though I couldn't drive it.

So now I am at a point where I have had enough. I have been very polite and understanding everytime my car has gone in for warranty work. But I just can't take it anymore. This is absurd that someone who spent over $30,000 on a car has to deal with this. S**t happens and I can understand that, but enough is enough.

I plan on calling Ford and letting them know my situation. I don't know if that will get me anywhere, but I am going to try.

Basically, I think I am entitled to some kind of reimbursement for all of my troubles with a car that I bought brand new and paid good money for. It has been nothing but a nightmare since day one.

Do you think that there is a possibilty that they will give me some money back. I could never lemon the car because I had multiple problems instead of one problem happening over and over again.

What other solutions or suggestions can you guys provide me with?

I am selling the car very shortly because I can't take the headaches anymore. And since I've only had it for about 15 months, I am going to lose a good deal of money on it.

Call me crazy, but I think I am owed something here.

Thanks everyone. :beer:

Last edited:

torquefreak

Established Member
Call the Ford Corporate office,tell them the situation,that may get the Ball rolling a little faster for you.Good Luck!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would definitely complain about how you have been treated. IMO the dealer should have told you up front that it might be a week before a lift is available. (I think they're full of bullsh** IMO!) The bottom line is that you shouldn't have been a whole week without a car waiting for them to drop the tranny. I have to wonder when they would have contacted you if you hadn't stopped over. Not good! Regardless how it turns out, that is one dealer I would never use or recommend again. JMO.

vipergts281

Established Member
Thanks Bob. :beer:

Well I just got off the phone with the dealer. The service advisor said the pressure plate and flywheel burned up. So I need a new clutch assembly. This Ford dealer did replace my clutch assembly before back in Feb. of last year at 14,485 miles. I told the advisor this and asked if he knows if they resurfaced the flywheel when they did that. He said probably not. So, could that be a cause of what my current problem is? Do you think this dealer should be held liable for some of the costs of this repair?

He said with labor and parts it is going to be about $1,265. :eek: But he said he could probably work something out with me on the price. :rollseyes

I still want to get rid of this car in the springtime so I don't want to dump a lot of money into it. But, the tranny is dropped and a new clutch has to go in, so you mine as well upgrade at times like these. I was thinking of just having a CF DF clutch, McLoead TOB, and Fidanze flywheel, and maybe a 26 spline input shaft installed while it's out. But I may be able to get a brand new factory Cobra clutch for $125. That would save me alot of money.

Decisions decisions.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
vipergts281 said:
...he said he could probably work something out with me on the price...
They might be able to work with you and do an AWA repair.

Lifted from http://www.flatratetech.com...

What is an AWA repair?

Ford has available what is called an "After Warranty Adjustment (AWA)." For the most part, these are totally for use at the discretion of the dealer up to two times per vehicle. After two AWA repairs, Ford MUST be involved. The discretion on the dealer's part may include whether you have been a "good" customer for the dealer and for Ford. The last dealer I worked used it as a selling tool for up-selling needed (and sometimes unneeded) service work, i.e. transmission flush, injection/induction cleaning service, or other work. The idea being that they can "give" you something in return for "buying" something.

If a dealer denies you an AWA for any reason, you may go to another dealer or appeal to Ford directly. The bottom line is that the dealer is more likely to help out someone that will benefit them in the future. If you never spent any money at a dealer, whether from the initial purchase or for routine maintenance, they are less likely to go out of their way to help you.

99% of the AWA repairs that are done are split between Ford, the dealer and the customer. If you had a $1000 repair, the dealer would ask you to pay an amount of anywhere from 10% to 50% of the cost, with the rest of the bill being split between Ford and the dealer. So if you’ve never been in to the dealer for any service and have never spent any money at the dealer, then the dealer will not be spending any money on you. I’m not saying that this is right or wrong…that’s just the way it works.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Top Fuel's AWA suggestion is excellent. Case in point. My wife has had three Mazdas from the same dealer. Her warrantee was up. She had a problem with the fuel injectors that was related to an issue she brought to their attention a year earlier. It was going to cost her something like $700. to fix it. Without us even asking for this, the dealer called and said that they had talked to Mazda and felt that because this was related to an earlier issue they were going to eat the cost of the fix. Now you know in part that this happened for two reasons. (1) We are a repeat customer, and (2) they're a good dealer. As a result my wife is still a happy Mazda customer. And that means a lot more than a $700. (less at their cost of course) fix. So definitely try for an AWA repair if you can. At this point it might be too late, but it's worth a try. If nothing else try to get them to give you a healthy discount of the work.

2/20/04-- TOB, clutch disc and pressure plate are all replaced (Covered 12/m/12,000 Miles)
3/11/04-- Transmission was replaced (Covered 12 M/12,000 Miles)

Reguardless of factory waranty those parts are covered for 12/12,000 and the repairs were made under factory waranty so they should have given you a rental right off the bat.....CALL FORD!!!!

Do you think this dealer should be held liable for some of the costs of this repair?"

YES...That clutch is under waranty and you should not pay $hit...They must replace it for free...It is a 12M/ 12,000 Mile warranty.....F-them ..Tell them to fix it and you are not paing $hit....What a bunch of scamers!!!!!!

"So, could that be a cause of what my current problem is?

NO.....Cobra clutches are only replaced as a set(Flywheel,clutch disk, Pressure plate) and you had all replaced.....Thats the only way they do it....Our clutch peasure plates have a spiral cut in them and can not be turned!
Tell them to do it! F-HEADS! :mj:

What dealer was this?

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
They might be able to work with you and do an AWA repair.
Wow, never heard of that before. Thanks alot for the info. I will bring that up at the dealer. Thanks. :beer:

03soniccobra01 said:
2/20/04-- TOB, clutch disc and pressure plate are all replaced (Covered 12/m/12,000 Miles)
3/11/04-- Transmission was replaced (Covered 12 M/12,000 Miles)

Reguardless of factory waranty those parts are covered for 12/12,000 and the repairs were made under factory waranty so they should have given you a rental right off the bat.....CALL FORD!!!!
Yeah, but the problem is mileage. The clutch now has about 30,000 miles on it since it was replaced.

03soniccobra01 said:
NO.....Cobra clutches are only replaced as a set(Flywheel,clutch disk, Pressure plate) and you had all replaced.....Thats the only way they do it....Our clutch peasure plates have a spiral cut in them and can not be turned!
Thanks for the info.

I still think a previous, in warranty, problem is partly to blame for this. When I took it in the first time for a "noise coming form the tranny area"...........9/30/04-- Car taken in because car randomly stalled at traffic light and the tranny area had clunking noises. This is what the current problem is. Car was never fixed at that time because they said they couldn't hear the noise. But when I picked the car up at the dealer, it was making the noise right there in their parking lot. I went back in and said something but all of the service people left for the day. Went back the next day and had a mechainc sit in my car and he acknowledged something was wrong.

I am going to call the dealer back soon and see if I can work something out. I will mention the AWA repair. But I'm probably just going to get my own parts and have them do the labor. $1,200 for a new clutch and install is insane.

Thanks again guys. :beer:

"Yeah, but the problem is mileage. The clutch now has about 30,000 miles on it since it was replaced."

WTF :eek: .....30,000 miles in 12 months!!!! :eek:
Something aint right there! :fart:

vipergts281

Established Member
03soniccobra01 said:
"Yeah, but the problem is mileage. The clutch now has about 30,000 miles on it since it was replaced."

WTF :eek: .....30,000 miles in 12 months!!!! :eek:
Something aint right there! :fart:
LOL, it was actually slightly more than that in 12 months. I hit the 36,000 mile mark up in northern NJ on Oct. 10th of 2004. Just over 13 months after getting the car.

:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread