Need advice: Failure to obay signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroFear

Banned
I was driving around in my 02 Z28 in a not so nice neighborhood last night. My car is loud if that makes any difference. I was driving a little bit outside of the law ( 50 in a 35 or 40 ) made the tires chirp around a corner once or twice. I guess I was being tagged by a few plain clothes officers and they called in some regular uniform ones to pull me over. In total there were 3 undercover officers, and 3-4 uniformed ones when I got pulled over. I thought I did a big boo boo for this many cops to be pulling me over. Then an officer comes over to my window and says "you know you made a right turn on red back there". WTF ??!!!! 6 police officers for a right turn on red? I guess things are really bad these days......

One of the undercovers came up and said he saw me speeding and chirping the tires, and then I made a right turn on red. They grilled me for like 5 min, then made me do a drunk driving test ( walk 9 steps etc etc ) and asked some more questions ( where was I going, told me what I did wrong ). I said I was not speeding and didn't chirp the tires, but I admitted to making the turn on red. After I passed all the drunk tests, all of them took off except for the guy who stayed to write a ticket.

I got a $75 failure to obay signs. Does a retarded ticket like this go on your record and get reported to insurance?? I want to get a lawyer and try to get around it if it means my insurance won't go up. I'm only 21 so if my insurance goes it up its gonna be insane!!

jshen

Established Member
Disobeying a traffic control sign is a moving violation here and 3 pointsand yes it goes on your license. I would hazzard a guess..you were in a "high crime-drug area" and the squad thought your actions suspicious enough to stop you...Why were you in that area? Most around here that cruise bad neighborhoods..are "looking for trouble ...and find it"

Last edited:

ZeroFear

Banned
03silversvt said:
deleted by moderator

wow! I don't think the black or hispanic members would think that is LOL worthy.

Also, my GF happens to live near this area , I wasn't just driving threw there for kicks.

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
ZeroFear said:
Also, my GF happens to live near this area , I wasn't just driving threw there for kicks.

But the law enforcement group obviously didn't know what you were up to...otherwise the reception party would have been considerably smaller. Maybe someone called in "tip" that someone in a car matching yours was up to something...Maybe it was based on your driving..but the answer to the question you posed is "yes" it is a moving violation and the court may
assess points or choose to give you a break..That is up to the court.

I just noticed this...You are in Rhode Island? What in heck kind of bad neighborhoods do you have up there...Illegal lobster poachers???

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
ZeroFear said:
I was driving around in my 02 Z28 in a not so nice neighborhood last night. My car is loud if that makes any difference. I was driving a little bit outside of the law ( 50 in a 35 or 40 ) made the tires chirp around a corner once or twice. I guess I was being tagged by a few plain clothes officers and they called in some regular uniform ones to pull me over. In total there were 3 undercover officers, and 3-4 uniformed ones when I got pulled over. I thought I did a big boo boo for this many cops to be pulling me over. Then an officer comes over to my window and says "you know you made a right turn on red back there". WTF ??!!!! 6 police officers for a right turn on red? I guess things are really bad these days......

Here you clearly admit you were speeding and chirping your tires, but when questioned by the officer you lied. Why?

As Jeff pointed out, your actions were suspicious and your car was out of place.

ZeroFear said:
One of the undercovers came up and said he saw me speeding and chirping the tires, and then I made a right turn on red. They grilled me for like 5 min, then made me do a drunk driving test ( walk 9 steps etc etc ) and asked some more questions ( where was I going, told me what I did wrong ). I said I was not speeding and didn't chirp the tires, but I admitted to making the turn on red. After I passed all the drunk tests, all of them took off except for the guy who stayed to write a ticket.

You are lucky that is the only ticket you got, because you earned more than that.

ZeroFear said:
I got a $75 failure to obay signs. Does a retarded ticket like this go on your record and get reported to insurance?? I want to get a lawyer and try to get around it if it means my insurance won't go up. I'm only 21 so if my insurance goes it up its gonna be insane!!

How is this a retarded ticket? You violated the law, you knew it, and you admitted it?

Absolutely, you should hire an attorney.

ZeroFear

Banned
The ticket is retarded because instead of causing this big beef, they could have gave me a warning, but now I have to go to court and waste peoples time over something very petty. If I knew for sure that this would not get reported to insurance and give me points, I would pay it without hesitation.

I'm sure everyone thats posted so far has turned on a red light , not used there signal, or some other minor thing from time to time. I do not blame them for stopping me, as I hope actions like that are saving lives, but they should have just let me go once they saw I wasn't some gangsta w/ a record or drunk/under influence of drugs.

I did not admit to going a lil fast or chirping the tires, because then my ticket would have been much bigger. They had no proof of these actions, other than the plain clothes officers claim.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
ZeroFear said:
The ticket is retarded because instead of causing this big beef, they could have gave me a warning, but now I have to go to court and waste peoples time over something very petty. If I knew for sure that this would not get reported to insurance and give me points, I would pay it without hesitation.

They gave you a huge break by not writing you for speeding. Why give you a warning? You knew what you did.

ZeroFear said:
I'm sure everyone thats posted so far has turned on a red light , not used there signal, or some other minor thing from time to time. I do not blame them for stopping me, as I hope actions like that are saving lives, but they should have just let me go once they saw I wasn't some gangsta w/ a record or drunk/under influence of drugs.

They should have let you go because you arent a "gangsta"? You still violated quite a few traffic laws:shrug:

ZeroFear said:
I did not admit to going a lil fast or chirping the tires, because then my ticket would have been much bigger. They had no proof of these actions, other than the plain clothes officers claim.

That claim is enough, he didnt need you to allocute.

You got a huge break, but are still complaining because you wanted to get off "scot-free".

The Gixxer

Established Member
ok

zerofear why don't you just grow up and be a man about it. You broke the law and the law caught you. Stop complaining.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Sounds like he needs to be a little gratefull and suck it up. Lets see here, spinning the tires, running red lights, speeding.
Hell, lets blame the police its got to be their fault for putting points on his driving record.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
I'll take a Failure to Obey a Highway Sign any day of the week! It's nothing compared to an actual speeding ticket, which a nice officer will drop down to. Mail in the payment and move on :)

ZeroFear

Banned
Its not the $75 bucks im worried about. Its my insurance going up. They don't go on a case by case basis. To them an infraction is an infraction , and if this gets reported my insurance will be the same as if I was speeding or ran someone over.

jshen

Established Member
I don't know what kind of record you have..but "points are points". The assessment of which does go on your record. Your record will show the charge and points as well as totol points over a given period. It makes no difference to you DMV or insurance what the points were assessed for. If you have NO record at all, you could ask the judge to just fine and not assess points. Here, they can do that.

Last edited:

exdeath

Established Member
Isn't there a traffic school you can go to once a year or something to clear a moving violation ticket? It costs more in time and money than paying the ticket, but it pretty much goes way and doesn't even make it on your record if I understand it correctly.

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
ZeroFear said:
They could have hit you with several tickets and if the circumstances were right a tow truck could be hauling the car away. The only thing retarded was your driving. Be a man this time and admit your actions warranted stiffer penalties. Thank those cops for just giving you a small fine and one ticket.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
oh and its "Obey" not "Obay"

that's been bothering me since I first saw the thread.

exdeath

Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
oh and its "Obey" not "Obay"

that's been bothering me since I first saw the thread.

I didn't even notice that lol.

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

ZeroFear

Banned
alot of the guys responding by saying how it coulda been much worse are taking it in the wrong light. When I said my wheels chirped, I did not mean a uber clutch dump or burnout. I was not racing, driving crazy fast, and the backed wasn't flying all over. The road was moist from the rain earlier, and being that I'm new to the car it did a slight chirp/screech noise as I started out in first around a corner. I was going maybe 10mph over the limit while keeping pace with other traffic, which I'm sure 90% of the people here do the same thing.

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My advice= be a man and accept responsibility for your illegal actions, you got caught suck it up. You broke the law and clearly admit it, no more to say is there? They let you off light and you are being an unappreciative child. I bet next time you will modulate the throttle with a bit more discretion.

txyaloo

Established Member
Take it to court. Hopefully when the officer shows up, they will amend the ticket and have the other charges added. You got lucky they cut you a break - man up and pay the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread