Need advice for Nitrous setup on my 2004 Cobra...

OnceBitten

Established Member
I'm not ready to go with a Whipple or KB just yet, but would still like to make some real gains with the car. It seems that a 150 (or maybe bigger) shot of nitrous would be the way to go.

From those of you who are doing it (or have done it), what's the best kit to go with? Also what, if any, supporting mods are required?

Thanks,

Jeff

SVTowner2B

Established Member
Yeah just through a 150 shot on it right from the start....ummm.......no! You should probably go a bit smaller than that.

OnceBitten

Established Member
I'm not asking for opinions. I'm asking for advice from those who have done it.

I've been running nitrous on my mustangs since '97. I've run as much as 175 in a dry kit, 150 in a nozzle style wet kit, and 300 in a plate kit. I've assisted in the setup and tuning of a 400hp fogger kit on a 408 windsor motor. I've just never run it on a mod motor, and never on a roots-blown car.

I intended to run a 150 wet kit with a separate fuel cell with race gas for the fuel side of the wet kit. I figure with a good tune on a flip chip, this should eliminate the need for bigger injectors. I just don't know what the issues are with spraying a wet kit through the blower and intercooler. Is it possible that it might cause any issues such as puddling of fuel or pre-ignition?

OnceBitten

Established Member
Sprayed: Not 100% sure on exact boost level, but I guess around 12-14# with the 2.8 pulley. It's making 456/476 at the wheels. Stock injectors.

See my last post for details on the wet kit...

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
EDIT:

sorry, i didn't read you other post.

I would put the wet kit AFTER the blower and MAF and before the TB. Just like a regular setup. I don't know about running that big of a shot on an already boosted car. Cylinder pressure will get real high, real quick...

Last edited:

NXSVTCOBRA

OnceBitten said:
Sprayed: Not 100% sure on exact boost level, but I guess around 12-14# with the 2.8 pulley. It's making 456/476 at the wheels. Stock injectors.

See my last post for details on the wet kit...

are you staying stock injectors??? i dont own an 03/04 but, my recommendation is for you to run a wet shot, at about a 75 shot, with those boost levels and the extra cooling from that shot of nitrous, your tq #'s will be through the roof, running 150 shot will be kind of risky (especially with stock injectors) and you shouldn't need a separate fuel cell just for nitrous, but i'd say a 75 shot will give you what you're looking for :thumbsup:

NXSVTCOBRA

OnceBitten said:
what's the best kit to go with? Also what, if any, supporting mods are required?
as for the kit i recommend NX, people are making good gains using NX and also a lot of old "blue bottle brand" users are going to NX for that extra bit of power and quiet frankly they are the leaders in the nirous industry right now IMO......

i seriously recommend injectors man, because its better to have enough fuel rather than not enought fuel, along with that a nitrous tune, maybe you can get a flip-switch chip and run a nitrous and boost program and a boost only program.....

allgo

Established Member
I know this does not help you now but I just bought the new nos wet kit and hope to have in car by next week and taking it to andersons to get tune, I have got a pms in my cobra so i will be able to have differnt tunes for NA and nos, I think anything above 100 with stock injectors is to much but I might be wrong!

Coiled-up-GT

Careful with the Eyes...
Established Member
i would go with an nx kit and would only run a 75 shot for starters. there would be NO puddling as long as you use a window switch. get yourself a good tune and you should be okay. i don't see a need to upgrade the injectors. you don't do that until you upgrade the blower/pulley, etc.,. nitrous is tuned by changing out the fuel side jets (has nothing to do with injectors...just the fuel pumps). alot of people start changing things out that they don't need to change. as far as the seperate fuel cell for nitrous only, that is the way to go! it is also the best and more secure way to run a nitrous setup. my buddy builds these kits and i'll tell you they are awesome! hell, aftermarket aux fuel setups don't have shit on his...that's a promise! anyway, just my .2 cents on what i've seen and heard on these setups. just saw one the other day on an ls1 camaro he built. it was wicked and very nice looking. pm me if you have any ?'s. i can direct you to him. he will tell you exactly what to do or not do. good luck!

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Sprayed_Pony said:
are you staying stock injectors??? i dont own an 03/04 but, my recommendation is for you to run a wet shot, at about a 75 shot, with those boost levels and the extra cooling from that shot of nitrous, your tq #'s will be through the roof, running 150 shot will be kind of risky (especially with stock injectors) and you shouldn't need a separate fuel cell just for nitrous, but i'd say a 75 shot will give you what you're looking for :thumbsup:

If he's running a wet kit, injectors are not a factor. The enrichment fuel is sprayed with the love potion.........

NXSVTCOBRA

Coiled-up-GT said:
there would be NO puddling as long as you use a window switch. i don't see a need to upgrade the injectors. you don't do that until you upgrade the blower/pulley, etc.,. nitrous is tuned by changing out the fuel side jets (has nothing to do with injectors...just the fuel pumps). as far as the seperate fuel cell for nitrous only, that is the way to go!
:dw:
that's all i have to say on that one

Last edited by a moderator:

NXSVTCOBRA

NiteMareGT said:
If he's running a wet kit, injectors are not a factor. The enrichment fuel is sprayed with the love potion.........

ok so you mean to tell me a blown cobra running 14 psi and nitrous should stay with 39lb injectors??? i know that fuel is supplied in with the nitrous in a wet kit, i really wouldn't see anything against it on a N/A car but on a blown motor with bolt-ons, seeing more than 500rwhp (its making 456rwhp now, so im sure it'll be over 500) you think the stock injectors will do? get real :rollseyes its way better to play it safe rather than having to spend big money down the line from leaning out the motor...... fuel injectors certainly do play a factor in any motor whether it being n/a, nitrous, or s/c..... not enough fuel supplied can cause a lean condition which is generally bad

tom03lightning

Established Member
Sprayed_Pony said:
ok so you mean to tell me a blown cobra running 14 psi and nitrous should stay with 39lb injectors??? i know that fuel is supplied in with the nitrous in a wet kit, i really wouldn't see anything against it on a N/A car but on a blown motor with bolt-ons, seeing more than 500rwhp (its making 456rwhp now, so im sure it'll be over 500) you think the stock injectors will do? get real :rollseyes its way better to play it safe rather than having to spend big money down the line from leaning out the motor...... fuel injectors certainly do play a factor in any motor whether it being n/a, nitrous, or s/c..... not enough fuel supplied can cause a lean condition which is generally bad

Fuel injectors play no role in a wet kit. That being said, if you are pulling fuel for the nitrous from the fuel rail on the injectors you may startve the injectors for fuel for a sec right when the fuel solenoid opens. This is not a injector issue, it is a pump issue. Ideally you want a second fuel setup for the safest wet kit. Ideally with a wet kit, you will not see any duty cycle change on the injectors while spraying the nitrous and fuel.

With a dry kit, you absolutely will need bigger injectors.

NXSVTCOBRA

Sprayed_Pony said:
i know that fuel is supplied in with the nitrous in a wet kit, i really wouldn't see anything against it on a N/A car way better to play it safe
tom03lightning said:
Fuel injectors play no role in a wet kit. That being said, if you are pulling fuel for the nitrous from the fuel rail on the injectors you may startve the injectors for fuel for a sec right when the fuel solenoid opens. This is not a injector issue, it is a pump issue. Ideally you want a second fuel setup for the safest wet kit. Ideally with a wet kit, you will not see any duty cycle change on the injectors while spraying the nitrous and fuel.

:read:

again i know that fuel is supplied via the fuel rail, i see no problems in running stock injectors with a wet kit on just a N/A motor, however on a BLOWN MOTOR WITH NITROUS AND STOCK INJECTORS it's better to play it safe then sorry, why would you want to risk running lean to save a bit of money on a set of injectors, but hey if you would like to run 14 psi and nitrous on stock injectors have at it, let me know what happens it should be interesting...... :kaboom:

why in your opinion would you run a fuel cell for nitrous only???

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
tom03lightning said:

Exactly. Whether the car is blown or not, injectors are NOT a factor, whatsoever, on a wet kit. The lph capability of the fuel pump is the only thing that matters here. Keeping the fuel pressure up in the rails is the #1 priority.

diesel_daddy

Established Member
Injectors should not be an issue on a wet kit. Get a wide band and start with small shot, say a 75 shot. Watch your air fuel ratio. If it is good, step it up a little. If it is a little lean, put a bigger fuel jet in and try it again. You might be happy with a 75 shot on your motor because on a blower motor you should experience an intercooler effect with the nitrous in addition to the power the nitrous is already giving you. Run a dedicated fuel cell to your nitrous so you don't pull volume away from your injectors. That should cure any problems with leaning out. You REALLY SHOULD get a wide band and put it on your car before the nitrous. With the power you are making already it is possible you could be running on the verge of lean with just the blower. That is what I would do. Take it for what you will.

Users who are viewing this thread