need advice on a lift!

Jman

Established Member
ok thinkin of lifting the powerstroke haha whats a good lift out there? how big should i go?i was thinkin 6 or 8 inch and want big meats.... whats a good size? 35's or 37's? lemme know what you guys think... thanks in
advance :beer:

S.O.B.

Sweet Old Bob!
Established Member
What year model? My son has an 02 with the 6" Superlift all spring kit and runs 12.50-37 x 16 with the right back space wheel. Anything over 8" and you will need to upgrade to over the knuckle steering to make it right.

Jman

Established Member
i got an 06... extended cab with a 6' bed... i want it to be nice, but not too retarded big... like something nice but still practical and not overkill...

Gix1k4

Established Member
Jman said:
i got an 06... extended cab with a 6' bed... i want it to be nice, but not too retarded big... like something nice but still practical and not overkill...

Then I'd suggest nothing over 6", coming from experience. If you use the truck on a daily basis and have young kids the novelty of a super tall truck will wear off very quickly . Not to mention that if you go 8" or taller you'll need to have crossover steering and driveshaft modifications because of the angles. Driveshaft vibration is almost a guarantee with these trucks, so you'll be happier if you can budget a one piece rear driveshaft into your build. I don't know about the newer coil spring set-up on the '05+ trucks, but my 15" wide boggers rub on the suspension on tight turns.(my wheels are 4-5/8" backspacing).

Hope this helps:thumbsup:

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I was thinking about lifting my truck as well. I was kind of leaning with the Donahoe Racing 4.5 inch kit. Are they good kits? Also, will they clear 35x12.50x18's? Just wondering if anyone has experience with them...thanks.

Fuxton

Established Member
Im running a 6 inch on mine with 37's. I love it.
attachment.php

attachment.php

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Very nice looking truck. Do you have issues with rubbing? Those fronts look awfully close to tagging a fender.

Adroitmustang

Established Member
Donahoe is by far the best lift kit you can buy....unfortunately it is also the most expensive. If you can swing it their quality is well worth the price. Those of you who have had a truck with a lift and/or installed one can attest to the necessity of quality engineering.

I did the rancho 4 inch, which is about identical to a truck with a DR 4.5 kit

If you do ever plan to pull a gooseneck/5th wheel trailer with your truck dont go more than 4-4.5 inches it will make the neck of the trailer sit too close to the bed.

also if you do run your 35 12.50s with stock wheels they will rub, if you go to an after market wheel with a 4.5 - 5 inch backspacing you should be fine. If you run 35 13.50s (with aftermarket wheels) then they will likely rub depending on the tire. Also I am referring to rubbing the radius arms, not fenders**

Heres a pic of my truck for ref:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t276/cannibalrider/DSCN0873.jpg

DSCN0873.gif

Last edited:

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Very nice trucks guys. So will a 35x12.50x17 tire with stock rims rub? Or will I have to get an aftermarket rim with backspacing to not rub? I am looking into a DR lift also, but Im not sure I will be able to swing the cash for it. Im hoping to get some rims and tires though.

GT_Jim

Established Member
35's will fit with stock rims and a 4 in lift and in fact if you order a SD with the snowplow prep package (about 85 dollars) you can fit 35/12.50x17's on the stock wheels and no extra lift without problems. Ford engineers have done this with the FX4 Hoss edition development truck so it does work. Not sure how the 18in wheels work though.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Thanks for the info Jim. I was planning on doing the rims and tires first and then adding the lift. I hope it will work.

HASFANGS

Established Member
I added 2" a ran 35's for quite a while.

aa01F250_1_200.png

aa01F250_2_200.png

aa01F250_3_200.png

Sorry pics are so small.

Gix1k4

Established Member
S.O.B.- What size is the wheel/tire combo on your sons truck, and how does he like the SSR's? Do they shake much?

I'm considering going with a 6" lift on my truck. I took mine all apart because the boggers were horrendous to live with, and loading my baby girl in and out was a major pain. The 8" kit i have can also be used as a 6" with different front leafs and pitman arm.

Users who are viewing this thread