Need advice on choosing tires

cheapertokeephe

Established Member
I finally completed my 5 lug conversion and now need some help in tire selection. I have the Roush 18x9s (28mm offset, 6.5" bs) and I noticed a few people run 245/40/18s and 275/35/18s. I checked with Discount Tire and they recommended against having tires with different aspect ratios (35s and 40s). He didn't know enought to explain why so my question is why? If you are running 18s on your Cobra what are your experiences and what would you recommend for a weekend only car that rarely sees the dragstrip, but does a lot of corner carving in the mountains? I was thinking about 235/40/18s (front) and 265/35/18s (rear). If I go with this setup how will it affect my speedo accuarcy? BTW, I have 95 spindles up front, 2 rack limiters per side, 10th anniversary front calipers, fox length axles, North Racecar brackets, and 10th anniversary calipers in the rear. Thanks!

Stephen93Cobra

1993 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I ran 245/45/17 in front and 275/40/17 nitto drag in rear on my 93 Cobra! Worked out perfect and never experienced a problem at all.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
cheapertokeephe said:
I finally completed my 5 lug conversion and now need some help in tire selection. I have the Roush 18x9s (28mm offset, 6.5" bs) and I noticed a few people run 245/40/18s and 275/35/18s. I checked with Discount Tire and they recommended against having tires with different aspect ratios (35s and 40s). He didn't know enought to explain why so my question is why? If you are running 18s on your Cobra what are your experiences and what would you recommend for a weekend only car that rarely sees the dragstrip, but does a lot of corner carving in the mountains? I was thinking about 235/40/18s (front) and 265/35/18s (rear). If I go with this setup how will it affect my speedo accuarcy? BTW, I have 95 spindles up front, 2 rack limiters per side, 10th anniversary front calipers, fox length axles, North Racecar brackets, and 10th anniversary calipers in the rear. Thanks!

So do I assume correctly that you havent ran any tire/wheel combination on the car yet?
Cause to my understanding from what I have read, a 6.5" backspacing on a Fox lenght axle (if its not a 93 Cobra fox lenght, cause then its different) wont fit, it will rub on the inside.
I think the standard 5.95" BS is the most you have room for. If im wrong or misinformed, please let me know. But when I did my 5 lug conversion, I used 94-98 (If I remember correctly) GT/V6 axles to keep the same lenght as the stock 93 Cobra axles, and I run a 18x9 wheel, with a 5.95" BS and I only have under half an inch of clearance on the inside. I think I can barely get away with running the 6.5" BS and I have the wider axles then you.

cheapertokeephe

Established Member
I have two sets of wheels available - 95 Cobras and the Roushs, but I am leaning toward the Roushs for my Cobra and the 95 Cobras for my 86 GT. I have the 87-93 fox length axles (non-cobra) and based upon some of the threads I have run across this wheel/axle combination will fit, but will limit my tires choices. You are right that a 93 Cobra length axle most likely won't fit with the Roush wheel.

I guess there is not much difference in running 235/40s up front and 265/35s in the back since it seems like quite a few people are running staggered sizes front and rear.
I'm looking at buying tires within the next few weeks so when I get it figured out I'll provide an update.

Users who are viewing this thread