Need advice on gearing

filofthephuture

Established Member
This weekend I'm going to have my axle off my car and taken apart for some maintenance and I'm thinking about going ahead and swapping to 3.31's. I plan to supercharge the car within about a year and currently have 3.73's. The way I'm looking at it, is that even NA I'll be able to run a better 1/4 mile since I won't be hitting the redline in 4th at like 1100' and I'll quit losing close races due to the 4-5 shift. I was talking with my dad and he kept saying it was a stupid idea and that I'll be slower. Just looking for some input on whether I'd be making a bad move and should wait til I've got a blower or if I should take this opportunity since I'll already have the diff opened up.

Sorry for the wall of text, typed this out on my phone. Thanks!

Last edited:

evil281

Established Member
I am literally in the same exact boat. I am pulling my axle this weekend to weld the tubes and clean off all the rust and paint it. I am preparing for a supercharger in August. I am taking the time to go ahead and swap to 3.31 and install a solid dif cover. I know that with the supercharger the 3.73 are way too tall. I feel like even n/a they are a bit tall. My old mustang had 3.27's and it was fine. I don't think you would be making a mistake changing them out.

_Snake_

Established Member
I'm boosted on 3.73's and would recommend leaving them in for a while after you go FI to see how you like it.

corepwn

Established Member
Some times less gear is better depending on power curves and where you are during the traps on the track.
The more power you make the less mechanical (gear) advantage you need to get moving.

filofthephuture

Established Member
The extra shift on the strip is a big factor here for me even with my tire being over 28" tall.
This is my main reason for want to do it. Also was dead even with my buddy in his cammed g8 till that shift this weekend. It'll probably be a year before I'm boosted though, which is why I can't decide.

Thanks guys!

evil281

Established Member
This is my main reason for want to do it. Also was dead even with my buddy in his cammed g8 till that shift this weekend. It'll probably be a year before I'm boosted though, which is why I can't decide.

Thanks guys!

If you are positive you are going to add a supercharger in the future and will already be working on the axle now I say go for the swap ahead of time.

Think long term, I could have added a supercharger already on my factory car but decided to build everything before adding the power.

hand-filer

Established Member
3.31's will be fine, especially with a PD set-up. I'm running the factory 3.55's in mine and traction is an issue.

filofthephuture

Established Member
^My main concern is the time between doing the gears and the blower. I don't feel like I'll be giving anything up, may say F it and just try.

If you are positive you are going to add a supercharger in the future and will already be working on the axle now I say go for the swap ahead of time.

Think long term, I could have added a supercharger already on my factory car but decided to build everything before adding the power.
I definitely will, it'll be my next mod after the gears. Already have done everything else, just need to pick a supercharger and go with it!

Last edited:

evil281

Established Member
^My main concern is the time between doing the gears and the blower. I don't feel like I'll be giving anything up, may say F it and just try.

I definitely will, it'll be my next mod after the gears. Already have done everything else, just need to pick a supercharger and go with it!

Might be a good idea to have the axle tubes welded at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread