Need advice on replacing my motor...

Z20WHAT

Established Member
This is somewhat of continuation or an offshoot of on of my previous thread ( http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73133 ) about how a shop that did work on my car was responsible for it severely overheating.

The bottom line is that I now have a choice for a "NEW" 2003 COBRA LONGBLOCK from Ford or to have my existing motor machined and rebuilt by a reputable machinist.

I am torn between these options because I have been told that the rebuilt motor will be BETTER than a new one because it'll be stronger, powerful, more reliable because it will be hand built, etc.
However, this option will also be a little bit more expensive.

Now I don't have to pay for any of this. But I need to figure out which path I'm going to take. And I need advice and information concerning these two options as to which is better and why.

What concerns should I have if I decide to get a longblock from Ford? Are they truly new or are they used/rebuilt? Are they the same EXACT parts used in the ones that come with the cars? What about the assembly? What about the little extras like the awesome head gaskets and the ARP bolts?

Basically, the body shop assures me they can get a longblock at their price from Ford for about $3,500. My shop says they can do the installation for about $1,800 or they can have my existing longblock hand rebuilt, bored over, installed and out-the-door for about $6k - $7k. I do not know what Ford quotes me for installation, but it would be nice to know. I do know that the body shop’s mechanics will not be doing the work.

I need to choose and justify to them which way I want to go. Thanks for any information.

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
That seems kinda cheap for an 03 Cobra long block from Ford??
7K is pretty expensive for a rebuild too. Mine isn't costing anywhere near that much.
Is there a chance the numbers are mixed up?

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
That seems kinda cheap for an 03 Cobra long block from Ford??
7K is pretty expensive for a rebuild too. Mine isn't costing anywhere near that much.
Is there a chance the numbers are mixed up?

No. Those prices are fine. Look on the Ford Parts Network or any other site selling the longblock at they all hover around $4,000. As I said, the body shop says they get special pricing and they can get it around $3,500.

The shop doing the rebuild includes installation and replacing the internals and replacing the heads. Also boring it out and making sure the deck is right. Also includes a magnaflux and dye test for stress, etc. $7,000 seems cheap to me.

Last edited:

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Originally posted by 2004svtcobra
Get the new engine. Just my opinion.

Why would you do this? I need good substantiation. I'd rather stay away from the whole "because one is new and the other isn't" kinda stuff.

2004svtcobra

Established Member
Like I said.... Just my opinion. The rebuilt motor may be better who knows. Different people do different work. If the rebuilder has a good rep and knows what they are doing go for that. I thought she already purchased a new motor anyways.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I would want a brand spanking new motor. I mean there is always that possibility that something would be overlooked if rebuilt. It is also nice knowing that it is brand new. I dont think I would like the idea of driving a car with a motor that had once blown and is now rebuilt. Get a new factory engine put in. They are already damn strong from the factory just be sure to put in some headers while you got it out!

SNAKESWINGER

Established Member
The rebuild can certainly be better than the longblock. Providing you have qualified caring people do it, and they must have experience doing DOHC V8 motors. Check the references. This applys to longblock assembly also. Standard pushrod engine guys probably shouldnt touch your motor.

And if your motor overheated chances are you are going to need substantial headwork also, aluminum heads dont like being overheated, warps the shit out of them. Cam bores are going to need to be checked and aligned bored. Head surfaced and valve seats touched up at the least.

Tim03cobra

Established Member
I have an idea:) . Get a new block installed and keep the old one too.:beer:

Edit: And tell them the supercharger might have over heated too. So you'll need to send it to Apten for a rebuild:rolling:

Last edited:

SVT 03 Cobra

go rebuilt... use better pistons than the crap we have now...but make sure everything is center, and line bored, and the heads are redecked....

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Well the heads will be replaced, the block magnafluxed and dye tested for stress and leaks.

It will also be bored out and larger, stronger pistons will be used.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
If it is blueprinted and they give you all the specs and having everthing magnafluxed and dye penatrent checked, rods checked for straightness and so on. I go rebuilt but thats how I rebuild doesnt mean everyone does the same way.

If your gonna do boost then go for aftermarket with better pistons.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
If it is blueprinted and they give you all the specs and having everthing magnafluxed and dye penatrent checked, rods checked for straightness and so on. I go rebuilt but thats how I rebuild doesnt mean everyone does the same way.

If your gonna do boost then go for aftermarket with better pistons.

What he said.

predator

Established Member
IMO....if you go with the new longblock from Ford then you can start at square one with a brand new motor....and hopefully no more problems. Then again.....if warranty is not an issue anymore....and you want more than what you had before.....rebuild your original motor with better stuff..i.e. pistons, etc and be happy. Just make sure it is somebody reputable! :beer:

lethal

Established Member
Really, it boils down to warranty. With a longblock, you do not get a new blower (as far as I know), and its the complete engine with accessories. I'm all for the rebuilt, but will you have any warranty? With a Ford longblock, you can interface with Ford and see if you'll be eligible for a new 36K warrenty on the engine. Of course, if your going to go mod crazy, then that's also something to consider, as you will have to deal with the voiding of the warranty.

You paid for a new car, had no issues with the engine until now, and I have no idea what mods (if any) you have. What's most important to you?

John

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
You ever going to sell the car?

If so, the buyer will have to be more specialized if you do a rebuilt vs. factory new OEM motor.

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
You ever going to sell the car?

If so, the buyer will have to be more specialized if you do a rebuilt vs. factory new OEM motor.

That's a good point that I've been contemplating as well. I think I'll keep the car as long as possible.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
F**K 'em, take the money, and get a 324" shortblock from VT Engines.:rockon:

OK maybe not!

Seriously I would go with the new one vs. rebuilt anyday. A lot less explaining if you ever decide to sell.

Tell a prospective buyer it has been rebuilt, and it will be alot easier for them to think your full of s**t when you try to explain why.

j/m .02 cents
Good luck!

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Originally posted by 4sdvenom
F**K 'em, take the money, and get a 324" shortblock from VT Engines.:rockon:

OK maybe not!

Seriously I would go with the new one vs. rebuilt anyday. A lot less explaining if you ever decide to sell.

Tell a prospective buyer it has been rebuilt, and it will be alot easier for them to think your full of s**t when you try to explain why.

j/m .02 cents
Good luck!

Unless I keep all receipts, work-orders, and insurance documents.

Users who are viewing this thread